Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discussed in the chatbox but not a thread yet:

David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are going from Winterfell to a galaxy far, far away.

It was announced today that Benioff and Weiss, creators of the smash-hit, Emmy Award-winning television series Game of Thrones, will write and produce a new series of Star Wars films.

These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi.

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

“In the summer of 1977 we traveled to a galaxy far, far away, and we’ve been dreaming of it ever since,” Benioff and Weiss said in a joint statement. “We are honored by the opportunity, a little terrified by the responsibility, and so excited to get started as soon as the final season of Game of Thrones is complete.”

No release dates have been set for the new films, and there have (thankfully) been no sightings of White Walkers around Lucasfilm.
Guess they're not slowing down on the number of Star Wars films any time soon.

If I was to guess:
2018 - Solo: A Star Wars Story
2019 - Episode IX
2020 - Unnannounced Star Wars Story (hopefully Obi-Wan)
2021 - Johnson's trilogy part 1
2022 - Benioff & Weiss part 1
2023 - Johnson's trilogy part 2
2024 - (Benioff & Weiss part 2)
2025 - Johnson's trilogy part 3
2026 - (Benioff & Weiss part 3?)

Then I bet after that they'll do Episodes X-XII with more anthology films in between (Sebulba: A Star Wars Story like Mad Max pls). All the Star Wars. And who knows, maybe by the end, Attack of the Clones won't even be in the bottom 5.

·
40,762 Posts
Benioff and Weiss are awful. They took the best things GRRM wrote and made them far far worse. Then when they started their fan fiction it became one of the best unintentional comedies of all time.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I'm not sure about having concurrent trilogies running, it could easily get confusing. It's early days but I like the Trilogy Part 1 - Standalone Prequel - Trilogy Part 2 - Standalone Prequel - Trilogy Part 3 thing they've got going at the moment. You don't need to remember which trilogy you're watching.

When will people start talking about Star Wars fatigue?
I'm sure people already have. While they're still getting great reviews and making more money than God I doubt anyone will care though.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
:rusevyes

I'm just waiting for the clone war movies here

·
Bleep, bloop, bloam, goodbye to your home.
7,735 Posts
While i dont mind more star wars movies. I dont think they are ever going to make episodes X and XII. The movies I to IX have been about Skywalkers family saga. I dont see that movie series continuing further.

Space is a vast vast thing, you can take any part of the galaxy and put good guys vs. crimelord family or w/e.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,032 Posts
Benioff and Weiss are awful. They took the best things GRRM wrote and made them far far worse. Then when they started their fan fiction it became one of the best unintentional comedies of all time.
"You want a good Twi'lek, but you need the bad Wookie."

·
Premium Member
44,064 Posts
Over saturation much?

Seriously, I love Star Wars and all, but Disney, can you slow it the hell down?

You don't need a new movie every year, do you?

Reactions: CJ

·
Registered
380 Posts
“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”
:ha

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
:no

This shit makes me wanna throw up especially as I've never been a fan of Star Wars.

They're gonna milk this to death and probably worse than the Fast, Saw, Paranormal Activity series.

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,247 Posts
:no

This shit makes me wanna throw up especially as I've never been a fan of Star Wars.

They're gonna milk this to death and probably worse than the Fast, Saw, Paranormal Activity series.
The difference is the SW universe spans a galaxy over thousands of years, there have been dozens of people to write isolated stories in the SW universe and many of the most adored characters have nothing to do with Lucas or the OG trilogy. Milking would be if all the new movies revolved around the Skywalker-Solo family. It's weird that only SW gets accused of this, nobody accused DC of milking Batman, or Eon of milking James Bond with a whopping 24 movies in 56 years, and both of those franchises have a significantly more narrow narrative pipe.

Edit: By the end of 2019 Marvel will have had 22 movies in only 11 years.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts