Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Wrestletalk

“I’ve always pitched this and maybe I should pitch this to Impact Wrestling. It’s an idea that would make us different because nobody does it. I had an idea that Impact Wrestling has a title, I don’t know what the title would be called, but whoever the champion is calls the stipulation of the defence.”

“So a if you have a X-Division guy, he would think he’s more skilled at Ultimate-X matches so would call that as the stipulation. If you have a hardcore guy like Sami Callahan, obviously him and Tommy’s skill would be hardcore matches where every match would be be a hardcore match. If you had a submission based champion ever match would be a submission match.”

“So If I’m the champion, I would chose to go back to the grand champion three round rule. That’s what I strived at in my Impact career as the only two-time champion. If I was champion, I’d have every title match be a rounds based match. So if I eventually lose, it makes it a big deal but because someone beat me at my own stipulation.”
Very interesting interview and idea, in my opinion. Progress Wrestling here in the UK actually already do this with their newest title, Proteus, but the idea is great as it has potential to change with every new champion which would help to prevent the title from feeling stale. Plus, if a certain stop doesn't quite work, like the old Grand Championship 3 round format sometimes, then next defence the rule can technically be changed.

·
Registered
9,728 Posts
Russoriffic.
This will lead to too many gimmick matches. It kills gimmick matches, PPV buys, interest in future gimmick matches on your TV shows, etc, etc. It never works. Moron Russo proved it many, many times.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I like the idea. They barely do any gimmick matches anymore. So this would be a nice gimmick-title. I think it's important that every title should stand out as its own division, and not just throw in a typical midcard title a la TV title.

My choice would be an "international championship" with focus on interpromotional matches. They do have a lot of partnerships.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
It sounds interesting at first but sounds like it would get stale extremely fast. Also he definitely lost me at the grand championship rules thing being used as a gimmick match.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This is what the X-Division championship should really be. It doesn't always have to be a straight up gimmick match.

For instance, a smaller guy could defend it as a cruiserweight title until he gets beaten. A bigger guy could defend it as a hoss title. Another guy could defend it as a hardcore title. A submissions only title. Or an intergender title. Without the weight limit the X-Division title has always been vaguely defined anyway. I think it makes sense to lean into the whole "X as a variable" thing.

That's why the TV/Global/KOTM/Legends title never really caught on in my opinion. Because the X-Division title didn't really have a defined division when guys like Abyss, Kurt Angle, and Samoa Joe could just waltz in and win it. So it was always seen as the secondary title, making the third title feel unnecessary. If the X-Division title has a constantly changing gimmick it makes the need for a secondary title stand out.

I don't think it's smart to have cage matches or Ultimate X or KOTM every time a title is defended. Major gimmick matches like that could be set events on a calendar that the champion has to defend their belt in regardless of the stipulation they had been defending under.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I kinda would not mind the call you shot trophy being turn in to a actual title. You have so long to call your shot or you have to defend it.

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
Russoriffic.
This will lead to too many gimmick matches. It kills gimmick matches, PPV buys, interest in future gimmick matches on your TV shows, etc, etc. It never works. Moron Russo proved it many, many times.

I agree. I think gimmick matches are good but only when they make it important and its not just because and its not over done. Imagine every match a gimmick match.It would kill so many concepts

Moose needs to go to AEW,Hes being wasted in Impact.

·
Southern Pride
2,920 Posts
Moose needs a new idea for a gimmick. Sorry, I couldn't resist the opportunity.

His idea is interesting. They tried the Grand Championship concept and that sucked. So I wouldn't be against this idea being given a chance. TNA/Impact have done so many past failed matches/championship concepts in the past, whats one more.

·
Intoner
6,509 Posts
They need a proper hardcore \ iron man title and that's it.
WWE are idiots. There is so much you can do with that belt .Film it for youtube, twitter, instagram, use it as a filler between big segments and matches and just generally have fun.

·
The TNA IMPACT Wrestling Guru
214 Posts
This will lead to too many gimmick matches. It kills gimmick matches, PPV buys, interest in future gimmick matches on your TV shows, etc, etc. It never works.
I fixed your post. Now... we are of agreement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts