Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been long enough of a wait, so I decided to start watching this show. I've seen all of history's major comedies so it was a bit of a no brainer. Reccomended by Kiz and MrMister.

So far, I've seen just the first two episodes of the TV show and wow, one of the most absurd yet funny things I've ever seen. Pure deconstruction of the genre.

Any other fans? Reccomendations of what to watch specifically?

·
40,595 Posts
You still haven't seen Holy Grail yet? Please do. Then read PLANETARY.:side:

It's been awhile, and I haven't seen every episode of Flying Circus, but I don't remember any that I saw not being funny.

Life of Brian is great too, but you should watch Holy Grail first.

·
40,595 Posts
Eh, I harassed you about that just as much. Thought it was time to bring it back.

Holy Grail has one scene I'm not a fan of. Everything else is hilarious. I'm kinda jealous that you get to see it for the first time.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Everyone harps on about Holy Grail but I think Life of Brian is by far the best movie they've done. Consistently funny all the way through, and at its highest points I was literally in pain from laughter it was that good.

·
Now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins
9,651 Posts
Holy Grail indeed is their most easily to digest as an intro to them. Flying Circus has great memorable stuff (Dead Parrot, Philosopher's Football, Spanish Inquisition, Ministry of Silly Walks), but, since I also started with Holy Grail, I recommend those unfamiliar to do the same.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Holy Grail indeed is their most easily to digest as an intro to them. Flying Circus has great memorable stuff (Dead Parrot, Philosopher's Football, Spanish Inquisition, Ministry of Silly Walks), but, since I also started with Holy Grail, I recommend those unfamiliar to do the same.
A better introduction would probably be 'And Now For Something Completely Different' which was a compilation of the best sketches from series 1 & 2, re-recorded for the US market.

As far as the actual maovies go, yes, Holy Grail is an easier introduction but Life Of Brian is superior in every way. Meaning Of Life is a bit hit and miss but there's enough good stuff to justify the purchase.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Holy grail was great. First half felt funnier though. More absurd.

Prefer the TV show though, its incredible.

And now for something completely different

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Just watch anything from them. Simply epic stuff.

Oh, and btw, Blackadder > Monty Python

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
nothing comes close to british comedy. blackadder, fawlty towers, monty python, etc etc.
+ OFAH, Men Behaving Badly, Red Dwarf, Fast Show, The League of Gentlemen...

And speaking of The League of Gentlemen, boy that was fantastic.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
His role in Fish Called Wanda is pure gold.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts