Votes: 6 54.5%
  • WCW Great American Bash 1996

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now it's June of 1996, perhaps one of the more important months in the history of the Monday Night War for either promotion. But which PPV was better, WWF's King of the Ring 1996, or WCW's Great American Bash 1996?
Here are the cards:

WCW Great American Bash 1996
  1. The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner and Scott Steiner) VS Fire and Ice (Scott Norton and Ice Train)
  2. WCW United States Heavyweight Championship Match: Konnan (c) VS El Gato
  3. Diamond Dallas Page VS Marcus Alexander Bagwell
  4. WCW Cruiserweight Championship Match: Dean Malenko (c) VS Rey Misterio Jr.
  5. John Tenta VS Big Bubba Rogers
  6. Falls Count Anywhere Match: Chris Benoit VS Kevin Sullivan
  7. Sting VS Lord Steven Regal
  8. Ric Flair and Arn Anderson VS Kevin Greene and Steve McMichael
  9. WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match: The Giant (c) VS Lex Luger
WWF King of the Ring 1996
  1. King of the Ring Semi-Final Match: Stone Cold Steve Austin VS Marc Mero
  2. King of the Ring Semi-Final Match: Jake Roberts VS Vader
  3. WWF Tag Team Championship Match: The Smoking Gunns (Bart Gunn and Billy Gunn) (c) VS The Godwinns (Henry O. Godwinn and Phineas I. Godwinn)
  4. The Ultimate Warrior VS Jerry Lawler
  5. Mankind VS The Undertaker
  6. WWF Intercontinental Championship Match: Ahmed Johnson VS Goldust (c)
  7. King of the Ring Final Match: Stone Cold Steve Austin VS Jake Roberts
  8. World Wrestling Federation Championship Match with Mr. Perfect as special outside enforcer: Shawn Michaels (c) VS The British Bulldog

·
Registered
140 Posts
Haven't seen great american bash. Kotr was an okay ppv nothing special in my eyes,I did enjoy goldust/ahmed and stone cold/marc mero but that's about it. Oh course kotr 96 has the austin 3:16 promo which has gone down in history. I'll have to vote for kotr.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Tough one, undercard is a bit better on the WCW side, but the main event is much better on the WWF side (that HBK-Bulldog match is a bit underrated IMO). Both have iconic non-match moments with Austin 3:16 and Nash' powerbomb on Bischoff.

WWF by a hair on this one if I can't call it a draw.

·
Butter My Arse
12,765 Posts
KOTR 1996 is another strictly ‘good’ PPV. No real stinkers but lots of storytelling. Jake Roberts managed to stumble through two matches and both of them involved getting his ass kicked.
Mankind and Undertaker had their first ever match and it was pretty entertaining, considering this was an original concept for Taker rather than facing the sluggish neanderthals of recent years.
Austin proved he was a real tough son of a bitch and then of course, that promo….although nothing really came of it until a few months later - next month he was on the damn Free For All against Yokozuna.
Ahmed Johnson won his first (and last) singles title with a big win that got a huge pop. This would be the highlight of his career and all downhill from here.
HBK and Bulldog had another great match, although the finish fucking sucked. HBK may have been a dick, but in 1996 he was incapable of having a bad match. The aftermath though was incredibly entertaining with Warrior coming down to make the save. He would be gone within weeks.
Owen Hart was utterly brilliant on commentary and I reckon if he was still alive, he would have made a great colour commentator on a regular basis.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Voted GAB without hesitation. One of the best pay per views in WCW history imo. It's also the first WCW show I voted for in this series.

Benoit/Sullivan, Dean/Rey, Sting/Regal, Horsemen/Team NFL, and Steiners vs. Fire & Ice were all good/great, while you also had Nash memorably powerbombing Bischoff through a table.

KOTR 96 was alright. Highlight was a great main in HBK/Bulldog (which smoked their disappointing encounter the previous month). Mankind/Taker was also good, Austin winning KOTR ended up being very important. I got a kick out of Owen's commentary as well. But I still don't think this show is even in GAB's ballpark. Few are.

·
Butter My Arse
12,765 Posts
This. Owen's commentary here is absolutely classic. Curt Hennig also in 1996, doing some of the Raw broadcasts--was a pleasure to listen to as well. Both guys had it.
I’ve always held the belief that Mr Perfect is the most underrated announcer of all time. As a third wheel in 1996 he was very good but back in 1992 when he was alongside Vince he was absolutely sublime. He was very much like Jesse in that he wouldn’t be afraid to compliment the babyfaces but would absolutely shit all over them if they knew there was an injustice. Had a great voice for it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts