Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you think of it this way mma has a lot of effects on the state of pro wrestling at the moment.Not only is it stealing viewers at the moment but if you think about it they are actually stealing pro wrestlers too and i'm not talking the Brock Lesnars and the Bobby Lashleys who made the transation from wrestling to mma.I'm talking about athletes who opt to train for mma instead of wrestling.
Many wrestlers who where around ten or so years ago said they would of been in mma at the time if it was more known about at the time like The Rock ,Taker etc If you look at the Indy scene today and younger talents in wrestling it just doesn't cut it ,it's because instead of getting into wrestling they rather go train for mma just because it's the big thing and numerous other reasons.Is there any way wrestling can counter balance this ?Because at this moment you could have numerous athletes training for mma who could of been big in wrestling and might not make it big in mma.
It's a hard process to counter act.The only thing I could suggest is more training camps and facilitys for youngers wrestlers and more so trying to intice younger good athletes to get into the sport ,like college athletes and the likes.Your thoughts?

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Paul Heyman had that idea. Problem is, thing about wrestling is its not about the money. Wrestling is about respect, paying your dues, and passion. Because the fact of the matter is, you gotta have passion to endure all the shit in this industry and survive it.

Its a sick business. If you wanna make it to the top you're gonna have to eat, sleep and breathe wrestling. MMA on the other hand, is socially acceptable, a 'real' sport, and far easier in terms of punishment and days worked.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What excatly was Heyman's idea?To scout younger athletes,yes?To a lot of people it is about the passion but a lot of people ,but to others wrestling is considered a job .I heard countless people say they didn't have much passion and to a certain degree where just in it for the money.

There's people out there who have great passion for mma though ,I just think mma is just way too popular and will keep stealing the next generation of wrestlers.For example to my knowledge there is only one wrestling school in all of Ireland ,I live in the other side of the coast to it and in stark contrast there is five or six mma schools ,thats just crazy.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
It's had a huge affect on pro-wrestling. A talented amateur wrestler just coming out of college looking for an athletic career (and let's say they have no passion for prowrestling or MMA) will start training for MMA. MMA is where the money is at and MMA right now is doing what WWF has done and that is take the world by storm. Until (or if) pro-wrestling ever booms again, or if owners want to start paying alot more for the best talent, all the fresh-out-of-college guys will choose an MMA career.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Paul wanted to send scouts to colleges and set up wrestling as a legitimate career. Vince on the other hand, after being fucked by Lesnar was looking for guys who worshipped wrestling and would never leave.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's had a huge affect on pro-wrestling. A talented amateur wrestler just coming out of college looking for an athletic career (and let's say they have no passion for prowrestling or MMA) will start training for MMA. MMA is where the money is at and MMA right now is doing what WWF has done and that is take the world by storm. Until (or if) pro-wrestling ever booms again, or if owners want to start paying alot more for the best talent, all the fresh-out-of-college guys will choose an MMA career.
Agreed completely .But you have to think also many of this fresh out of college athletes will not make it mma ,just because there athletic doesn''t mean there gonna make it in mma(or even wrestling too obviously ,but they could be more suited to wrestling for all we know.
I know that it's gonna be hard to intice people to choose mma over wrestling but I think drawing them into the sport at a younger age will be more of an advantage.Many people can train for mma at any age ,wrestling should probably be the same.Have the wrestlers train at a young age (very basic and safe training of course) because young peoples intrest of becoming a wrestler is more so when they are young ,as they get older they are more leaned toward joining mma.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Agreed completely .But you have to think also many of this fresh out of college athletes will not make it mma ,just because there athletic doesn''t mean there gonna make it in mma(or even wrestling too obviously ,but they could be more suited to wrestling for all we know.
I know that it's gonna be hard to intice people to choose mma over wrestling but I think drawing them into the sport at a younger age will be more of an advantage.Many people can train for mma at any age ,wrestling should probably be the same.Have the wrestlers train at a young age (very basic and safe training of course) because young peoples intrest of becoming a wrestler is more so when they are young ,as they get older they are more leaned toward joining mma.
From a huge MMA fan, most of the upcoming fighters (especially on the UFC roster), come from a wrestling background.

All the TUF seasons are being dominated by wrestlers. Look at some of the great up and comers like Phil Davis, Jon Jones and Ryan Bader. All come from wrestling backgrounds.

Joe Rogan who is a UFC commentator said it best. He said to have the most success in MMA is to train in wrestling, then do the switch to MMA.

·
In the Heat of the Moment
33,794 Posts
Well from a viewer standpoint I think MMA does well to steal WWE viewers. I made the switch halfway through this year, and can't watch wrestling anymore. I find the UFC more exciting than I ever found WWE to be, in my ten years watching.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well from a viewer standpoint I think MMA does well to steal WWE viewers. I made the switch halfway through this year, and can't watch wrestling anymore. I find the UFC more exciting than I ever found WWE to be, in my ten years watching.
I'm not talking about stealing viewers though ,i'm talking about indirectly stopping new wrestlers and at TCE ,I think your on about a amatuer wrestling rather than pro wrestling.

·
Registered
12,437 Posts
MMA taking away much of the 18-30 viewing range is probably more responsible for the WWE making the decision to appeal more to children than Linda McMahon's political campaign ever did.

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
In terms of PPV buys, I think you would have to be extremely naive or in denial (like Vince is) to not think UFC has taken away a fair chunk of buyers.

If you are 18-30 and male (WWE's largest audience and main PPV buyers)and you have a choice of either a WWE or UFC ppv, what is making them choose WWE?

There are not Rocks or Austins anymore, nobody worth paying to watch. UFC has stars, WWE has nobody. Cena? We have seen the guy do everything in every situation, why would anybody pay to watch him against the same people every month?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
MMA taking away much of the 18-30 viewing range is probably more responsible for the WWE making the decision to appeal more to children than Linda McMahon's political campaign ever did.
Good post. And because 90% of parents wouldn't want their kid who's under 12 watching MMA.

But I don't think Pro Wrestlnig for future generations will ever be in danger, there will always be guys like Cena, guys who are talented, succeed and have a strong passion for the business. All pro wrestling needs to have is another boom period then it will be even more fine, even though the current climate in what the world is like, the chances of a big boom are very low.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts