Wrestling Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 1684 Posts

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,109 Posts
Khabib lacks the depth of quality wins that Jones, GSP or Anderson have. His top 5 wins are good but after that you are quickly getting to guys like Iaquinta and Michael Johnson. Then on top of that 16 of his 29 wins came from fighting at a domestic level in Russia, often against guys who were inexperienced and/or had losing records. I mean. Fedor gets criticised for record padding but he spent a higher percentage of his career competing in the big leagues against name fighters, plus he had the extra factor of being a small HW when considering him in the GOAT discussion.

If Khabib would have stuck around a little longer and added Chandler and a few other quality wins to his record then the depth would start to become comparable, as it stands its definitely not.
Exactly this. As good as Khabib is, and as much as there's that potential for him to have been the GOAT. Those claims cant be made when he lacks depth in his accolades. There's guys who have 10 or more Championship wins, there's guys who have wins over a stack of former Champs on their resume's. Khabib only got to that point where he could start racking up meaningful GOAT worthy wins recently. Its really only his last 3 fights that were truly impressive in regards to who he beat. If he had on dominated a few more guys, hit like 35-0 or there abouts then you can seriously start calling him the GOAT. But you cant put his accolades, his resume, over the likes of GSP, Stipe, Mighty Mouse, DC etc. Like 29-0 when more than half those were achieved in shady ass Russia over tomato cans just isn't an impressive enough resume.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Khabib lacks the depth of quality wins that Jones, GSP or Anderson have. His top 5 wins are good but after that you are quickly getting to guys like Iaquinta and Michael Johnson. Then on top of that 16 of his 29 wins came from fighting at a domestic level in Russia, often against guys who were inexperienced and/or had losing records. I mean. Fedor gets criticised for record padding but he spent a higher percentage of his career competing in the big leagues against name fighters, plus he had the extra factor of being a small HW when considering him in the GOAT discussion.

If Khabib would have stuck around a little longer and added Chandler and a few other quality wins to his record then the depth would start to become comparable, as it stands its definitely not.
We might be saying the same thing. Khabib division DOES lack the quality that Fedor's and Silva's did. But neither of those guys dominated their divisiona the way Khabib did. Not did they come close.

Why on earth would we care about Chandler? He's literally a nobody, even in the division that you say lacks quality. Khabib has already not only finished everyone of note but did so decisively.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's very sad that Khabib retired. He left behind an incredible legacy and he is the best pound for pound fighter in UFC history.
Easily. The only question is whether he's the outright GOAT.

Its him, GSP, and Fedor in the top tier. And I think he's actually better than both.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Great card, great to see Whittaker school Cannonier. Khabib is a beast completely destroying one of the best and he deserves nothing but respect. Based on his performances I see no reason why he wouldn't have beaten more UFC top tiers if he was in UFC longer. He would've killed Tony.

·
Banned
4,519 Posts
Much respect to the best pound for pound ufc fighter and one of the GOAT in jfc history khabib, man his speech at the end had me tearing up, my mam just nearly died 3 times in 2 days , so him losing his dad who he wpdone this for was really respected off a lot of ppl, he's promised his mam he won't fight no more

Now we get mcgregor v poirier again ffs didn't Connor beat him already

We get data he makes u money but I'm half Irish and I'm sick of u putting him ahead of much more talented fighters ,

Ill always have this though

·
Banned
4,519 Posts
I agree. I was really hoping the GSP Khabib fight would happen.

Same but hey at least we got to see them in there primes kick asses and take names , GSP , Bones, Khabib, my top3 ufc fighters.

Reactions: deadcool

·
Banned
4,519 Posts
Exactly this. As good as Khabib is, and as much as there's that potential for him to have been the GOAT. Those claims cant be made when he lacks depth in his accolades. There's guys who have 10 or more Championship wins, there's guys who have wins over a stack of former Champs on their resume's. Khabib only got to that point where he could start racking up meaningful GOAT worthy wins recently. Its really only his last 3 fights that were truly impressive in regards to who he beat. If he had on dominated a few more guys, hit like 35-0 or there abouts then you can seriously start calling him the GOAT. But you cant put his accolades, his resume, over the likes of GSP, Stipe, Mighty Mouse, DC etc. Like 29-0 when more than half those were achieved in shady ass Russia over tomato cans just isn't an impressive enough resume.

But he never lost the names u said there have lost

·
Banned
4,519 Posts
Now I want a bones rematch to put end of the controversial b.s of his last fight so he can do this to I forget his name

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
That Bellator card was good apart from the judging in the Swagger and Corrales fights. Homasi/Voelker was one of the best KOs of the year.

·
16,109 Posts
Sad farewell for Anderson Silva. But this fight was always going to come down to what Uriah Hall showed up. If Hall showed up in awe and overly respectful Anderson would cruise to a UD, but if Hall showed up to win he was bound to connect with some power at some point.

Its crazy to think what Anderson Silva's Legacy could have been if he had of retired before the Weidman fights as he had considered doing. If he retired at 16-0 in the UFC, and all those records to his name, no PED failures. He'd still be seriously in the GOAT discussion.

Im still a huge Anderson fan, the things he did in the cage at his peak were just unreal. But this horror end to his career after Weidman dethroned him and the two PED failures have really tarnished his Legacy. Particularly the PED failures.

But he never lost the names u said there have lost
Well how many World Championship / Top of the Division level guys did Khabib fight compared to Jones, or GSP or even Anderson? Jones and GSP in particular beat a lot of guys that would have been long reigning Champs if Jones / GSP weren't around. Khabib didn't start fighting those sort of guys until the very end of his career. He dominated them. But its ridiculous to suggest that a guy who won the vacant Title off freaking Raging Al, then defended it 3 times is without question the GOAT. Khabib needed to have stayed around and knocked off a few more of those elite level guys to seriosuly enter the GOAT discussion.

·
16,109 Posts
Apparently Adesanya vs Blachowicz is in the works for the LHW Title.

Bit earlier than Izzy planned on going up to 205 but the timing makes sense right now. There's no viable contender at MW right now, closest is Bobby Knuckles who has shown a disinterest in that rematch on top of Izzy not having any interest in that rematch either. Everyone else at MW needs some more wins to warrant a Title shot. And 205 is the same really, there's no obvious contender for Jan at the moment. Santos is the only guy who comes to mind and he hasn't fought in what feels like forever now.

Didn't expect Izzy to essentially clean out 185 so quickly, going to be insane if a guy from a tiny gym in Auckland is a Champ-Champ in the UFC.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
The moment that got him KO'd was very, very sloppy but there were occasional flashes of the old Anderson at times. He is a very good 45 even though he cant get the wins anymore at that level.

Whole thing was pretty emotional, Hall bawling his eyes out etc lol. Out of all the Mount Rushmore guys, theres something special about Anderson, he was the guy you'd show non-MMA fans back in the day to prove it wasnt just "human cock fighting" or whatever.

If Izzy is gonna try to make a run at LHW now is a pretty opportune time to do it. The division is a mess.

·
16,109 Posts
The moment that got him KO'd was very, very sloppy but there were occasional flashes of the old Anderson at times. He is a very good 45 even though he cant get the wins anymore at that level.

Whole thing was pretty emotional, Hall bawling his eyes out etc lol. Out of all the Mount Rushmore guys, theres something special about Anderson, he was the guy you'd show non-MMA fans back in the day to prove it wasnt just "human cock fighting" or whatever.

If Izzy is gonna try to make a run at LHW now is a pretty opportune time to do it. The division is a mess.
I've long felt like Anderson bought into his hype and mystique more than anyone else. For a guy so talented and who can be so technical and smooth he makes some dumb mistakes and leaves himself wide open. Like I remember when Bisping dropped him, Michael did so because Anderson put himself in a ridiculously bad position due to throwing some wild sloppy strike that left him wide open. Anderson still thinks he cant be touched and thinks he's too elusive and unpredictable when reality is guys have figured him out.

He charged in recklessly and left himself wide open against a talented kickboxer with huge power. A sad way to see his career end really.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,658
Someone broke Khabib's record down and you see how hollow it is. All of his wins outside of UFC were against guys with losing records or 0-0 records. Yeah Khabib's a machine but being 10-0 vs 0-2 isn't impressive at all. No one gloats about a 25 year old beating up a 12 year old.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Shame Silva couldn't go out on a win, but jesus why stick around until you're 45?

In the time I've been watching I think he's the best I've ever seen. I've never seen anyone move around like that with such incredible varied striking. Great great fighters would look comical when he fought them. He's the GOAT in my opinion. He just should've retired a lot sooner.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,660
Retired fighters don't make money. Sad fact of MMA is that you're not making boxing money at the main event level based on solely on being in the main event. Or based on talent.

1641 - 1660 of 1684 Posts