Wrestling Forum banner

1621 - 1640 of 1684 Posts

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,622
Damned good card. Sad that it fell apart but they kept things good.

Khabib can truly ride off into the sunset. The universe has shown us that Tony vs Khabib would be the death of us all.

I think Khabib is officially in the top 10 GOAT rankings in MMA after today/tonight. 29 is nothing to sneer at. Would like to see him add another top 5 name to his resume but I can respect what he did by retiring after his father passing.

Hope to God they dont use this as a way to put Conor in a title fight just because.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,624
One guy said UFC should do a 4 man tournament for the vacant belt. He called for DP vs Conor and Justin vs Chandler. I don't think it's fair to leave out Tony when he's only lost to Justin after a 12 fight streak. I'd put Tony vs Chandler. Especially after Justin's loss to Khabib and losses to Eddie and DP. That way get to see where Tony and Chandler both stand and the real belt would be on the line at the end of the road.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think he's the greatest ever. GSP runs him close but had a few black marks, namely the first Serra fight.

Neither Silva nor Jones were/are as dominant as Khabib was. To put things into perspective, this man was 29-0 in a brutal division without ever being knocked down or cut. In 29 fights.

Its staggering. What a career and what a way to finish it off. Stunning triangle and its apparently only the 3rd time ever a fight was stopped by triangle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One guy said UFC should do a 4 man tournament for the vacant belt. He called for DP vs Conor and Justin vs Chandler. I don't think it's fair to leave out Tony when he's only lost to Justin after a 12 fight streak. I'd put Tony vs Chandler. Especially after Justin's loss to Khabib and losses to Eddie and DP. That way get to see where Tony and Chandler both stand and the real belt would be on the line at the end of the road.
Tony was offered Chandler but refused the fight. They might shaft him as a result.

But a mini tournament sounds like the best idea to me as well.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,627
Tony was offered Chandler but refused the fight. They might shaft him as a result.
Probably didn't get any guarantees that it would make him number 1 contender like the DP fight would have. But who knows what bullshit Dana pulled behind closed doors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Top 5 Goat yes but no number 1 for me. Look at Jon Jones resume compared to Khabibs. Different ball parks
Indeed. Khabib is undefeated while Jones isn't.

Khabib has been much more dominant in his wins than Jones has. Jones was out fought in more rounds in his last fight alone than khabib has lost rounds in his entire career.

Khabib has never tested positive for PEDs. Jones is the dirtiest fighter in recent UFC history and has had multiple positive tests.

Worse record. While taking PEDs. While being nowhere near as dominant when he "wins".

·
Head em up, Move em out
2,783 Posts
Jones fought in 15 championship fights in the Ufc beating the likes of Shogun, DC, Rampage, Vitor, Gus, Rashad, Lyoto, Chael to name a few

Khabib fought in 4 championship fights beating 11th ranked and one day replacement ragin Al. Conor who had been inactive for 2 years, Dustin and Justin and spent the majority of them fights boring us to death with constant wrestling

As i said, different ball parks

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,109 Posts
Never been a fan of Khabib, but the dudes a beast.

Still the talk of him being the GOAT is beyond absurd. He fought 3 Championship calibre guys and thats it. 26 of those wins were against mid tier fighters. How is that more impressive than Jon Jones, or GSP, or Anderson Silva?

·
14,528 Posts
Jon Jones and Anderson Silva. Confirmed PED users. Still being held in high regard. You gotta laugh.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't want to get into talks about greatest ever but that record of 29-0 and retiring as a reigning champ is one that will impress the heck out of everyone. I for one enjoyed his grappling skills that he used in his fights. It's not all about looking aesthetic.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,109 Posts
Even if you dismiss Jones and Silva because of PED's its absurd to put Khabib above GSP. GSP's got something like a 12-2 record in Title fights, dominated his division for years. Avenged his two losses, and was a Champ in two weight classes. Khabib's resume doesn't compare; 3 big Title fights, and then stomping the middle of the pack for 26 fights.

·
Head em up, Move em out
2,783 Posts
For me Conors resume is more impressive than Khabibs, so is Stipes, not to mention the likes of DC, Mighty Mouse. Khabib is a absolute beast no question and without doubt he is the most dominant champ we have ever seen but at the end of the day his calibre of opponent for the vast majority of his career means IMO he can not even be considered to be the number 1 goat

·
Registered
34 Posts
Jones fought in 15 championship fights in the Ufc beating the likes of Shogun, DC, Rampage, Vitor, Gus, Rashad, Lyoto, Chael to name a few

Khabib fought in 4 championship fights beating 11th ranked and one day replacement ragin Al. Conor who had been inactive for 2 years, Dustin and Justin and spent the majority of them fights boring us to death with constant wrestling

As i said, different ball parks
Yeah but Jones was offered a title fight way earlier so ofcourse that affects the number of title defenses.

And why is Chael a feather in his cap. Chael was a middleweight at his best. Fighting smaller men who made the jump up isnt somethijg to prop him up with.

Worse record. Took PEDs. Wasn't as dominant in his wins. So yes, different ball parks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
For me Conors resume is more impressive than Khabibs, so is Stipes, not to mention the likes of DC, Mighty Mouse. Khabib is a absolute beast no question and without doubt he is the most dominant champ we have ever seen but at the end of the day his calibre of opponent for the vast majority of his career means IMO he can not even be considered to be the number 1 goat
Alright this is simply the dumbest post I've seen all day here. Connor's legacy isn't anywhere near Khabib's and nobody who understands MMA would make an argument that his resume is better than the man who decimated and humbled him, en route to a 29-0 record while retiring as the undisputed champion.

·
Head em up, Move em out
2,783 Posts
Who mentioned legacy? I said resume, on paper Conors wins over the likes of Max, Dustin, Aldo, Mendes, Eddie Alvarez, Nate is more impressive than the names on Khabibs list and for the record i would have Khabib above Conor on any goat list. I was just using Conors resume as a example. To be considered the number one goat you need longevity at the top, not 3 title defences then retirement

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Yeah but Jones was offered a title fight way earlier so ofcourse that affects the number of title defenses.

And why is Chael a feather in his cap. Chael was a middleweight at his best. Fighting smaller men who made the jump up isnt somethijg to prop him up with.

Worse record. Took PEDs. Wasn't as dominant in his wins. So yes, different ball parks.
Khabib lacks the depth of quality wins that Jones, GSP or Anderson have. His top 5 wins are good but after that you are quickly getting to guys like Iaquinta and Michael Johnson. Then on top of that 16 of his 29 wins came from fighting at a domestic level in Russia, often against guys who were inexperienced and/or had losing records. I mean. Fedor gets criticised for record padding but he spent a higher percentage of his career competing in the big leagues against name fighters, plus he had the extra factor of being a small HW when considering him in the GOAT discussion.

If Khabib would have stuck around a little longer and added Chandler and a few other quality wins to his record then the depth would start to become comparable, as it stands its definitely not.

1621 - 1640 of 1684 Posts