Wrestling Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1495 Posts

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,524 Posts
You are aware that Usman had to change strategy for a 100% different opponent on less than a week's notice right? Look at what happened to Luke....he lost his belt. DC had to go from Jones to Silva for UFC 200 on a few days notice too and he had to simply wrestlefuck him to victory. It's the circumstance. And why does it seem that people ONLY remember the most recent fight? Did Usman not tear the house down vs Colby?

Next question. How do you feel about GSP as a fighter/champion?
There will always be an excuse for putting on a boring fight. But that doesn't change the fact Marty is insanely boring to watch.

As for his Colby fight. Personally I thought it sucked. It was two Wrestlers putting on a very, very, very, very low level kickboxing match. You'd see a better fight from two people who've only just started training Muay Thai. Both guys are basic as hell on the feet and thats all they did.

I respect the hell out of GSP. He was one of the first people to treat MMA like a sport and approach it like a legitimate athlete. He wasn't just some dumb wild brawler, he was smart about everything. The fact a Karate guy went onto develop the wrestling skills he had is crazy too, he dominated some people who on paper should have ragdolled him. All that said I did find his play it safe style boring, he was never interested in getting the finish after Serra stunned him.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,524 Posts
The judges scores for Volk v Max confuse me.

All three judges gave the 3rd to Volk and the judge that gave Max the nod gave him the 5th. That fight was clearly 1-2 Max, 4-5 Volk with the 3rd being the decider. Even when the end result of a close split decision is right the way the judges get there is wrong.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Kind of awkward revealing Jorge as a cover star for UFC 4 only to have him lose like that so soon after. Wasnt an unexpected outcome though. I think the only fresh opponent left for Usman who can pose a serious threat is Burns, that is an extremely interesting match up. After that its pretty much Colby and Leon rematches.

I cannot believe we missed out on Jorge/Conor. That would likely have been the biggest UFC fight ever in a pure money sense. Imagine the sheer hype both in the build up and also the stylistic match up itself.

Thought Max either edged it or it was a draw. Wanted Aldo to beat Yan but oh well.

Good card but lol @ the Yas Island hype when the arena itself could be fucking anywhere.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Max was completely robbed. Totally totally robbed. He made all the adjustments and made Volk look a different, lesser fighter from the first fight. He looked slick and was surgical especially in the first half of the fight. He controlled the majority of the match, knocked down Volk twice and pressured him practically the whole time. Max won 3 rounds easily.

Also seeing Thug Rose come back and get justice over Andrade, she won that comfortably.

·
The Shape
287 Posts
Max was completely robbed. Totally totally robbed. He made all the adjustments and made Volk look a different, lesser fighter from the first fight. He looked slick and was surgical especially in the first half of the fight. He controlled the majority of the match, knocked down Volk twice and pressured him practically the whole time. Max won 3 rounds easily.
How in any way was he 'totally totally robbed' on the current scoring criteria?

I keep seeing this 'he knocked him down twice' argument like Holloway was not given the first two rounds. The rounds he scored the knockdowns were scored for him so that argument holds no weight.

Tell me how he won any of the other three rounds easily? The third round is considered the most controversial, and in that round not only did Volkanovski outland Holloway statistically, he also landed the harder shots on the whole and had some clinch control. Most people agree that Volkanovski won four and five, so how did he clearly win three rounds?

Moving forward is not scored under the modern system unless there is not advantage to either fighter in striking/grappling (which is super rare) so that argument can not be used either.

If people have an issue with the way fights are scored that is one thing, but given the current criteria there was no robbery here, even if you scored it for Max.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
How in any way was he 'totally totally robbed' on the current scoring criteria?

I keep seeing this 'he knocked him down twice' argument like Holloway was not given the first two rounds. The rounds he scored the knockdowns were scored for him so that argument holds no weight.

Tell me how he won any of the other three rounds easily? The third round is considered the most controversial, and in that round not only did Volkanovski outland Holloway statistically, he also landed the harder shots on the whole and had some clinch control. Most people agree that Volkanovski won four and five, so how did he clearly win three rounds?

Moving forward is not scored under the modern system unless there is not advantage to either fighter in striking/grappling (which is super rare) so that argument can not be used either.

If people have an issue with the way fights are scored that is one thing, but given the current criteria there was no robbery here, even if you scored it for Max.
Look I'm not some super expert on the scoring, just to me it looked like generally Max controlled the whole fight and neutralised Volk. Most other fights I've seen where one guy knocks the other down with strikes while remaining up himself the whole fight normally wins. It looked to me like Max scored more significant shots to the head as well. Dana himself said the referring was bad and the majority of commentators and fighters said Max got it too. (that I saw).

Just my 2c, have no desire to get in an argument about it.

·
The Shape
287 Posts
Look I'm not some super expert on the scoring, just to me it looked like generally Max controlled the whole fight and neutralised Volk. Most other fights I've seen where one guy knocks the other down with strikes while remaining up himself the whole fight normally wins. It looked to me like Max scored more significant shots to the head as well. Dana himself said the referring was bad and the majority of commentators and fighters said Max got it too. (that I saw).

Just my 2c, have no desire to get in an argument about it.
If i came across a bit strong, then i apologise because i had been arguing this point since the fight and the absolutes were frustrating.

The issue i think a lot of people have is the way fights are scored rather than the the result itself. Max did more damage in the first two rounds than Volkanovski managed in the remaining three, so i think to a lot of people it feels wrong to give Volk the fight.

Bisping's commentary was also extremely bias towards Holloway and made it seem like he was winning clearly after three rounds, when in reality he definately won the first two but the third was close and could have gone either way.

There seems to be a lot of outrage about this decision for some, and i just do not understand it personally. It was a close fight and could have gone either way under the scoring system. Under Pride rules then it clearly was Max, but the UFC have adopted the 10 point must system and that is the way we have to score it.

Jones vs Reyes was a lot worse than this, yet there was not the outrage that this one had.

·
You're Pretty Good
9,816 Posts
I genuinely had Volkanovski taking the last three round.

Stunned at the controversy. I think people had just bought into the narrative Bisping was selling halways through the fight.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,479
GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY DEIVISON KILLED JOE, RAG DOLLED HIM, KILLED HIM AGAIN THEN STRAGGLED HIM UNCONSCIOUS!

FUCK ME SIDEWAYS! I BOUT THREW UP! JOE WAS FUCKIMG DEAD!

1461 - 1480 of 1495 Posts