Wrestling Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1495 Posts

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,441
Things really are a toss up when it comes to high level replacements. I could see Jorge throwing everything he's got early so he doesn't get dragged into deep water. I won't say he has the built in excuse of no camp, but even if he loses, I think he'll stay in the mix. I'm tired of Jorge's character though, so I hope Usman keeps the belt and if he can call Jorge down like he did Colby, that would be great too.

Max and Alex....just give me a great fight. Whoever wins, wins. But if Bill wins hopefully UFC can stop spouting off that BS that Max is the featherweight GOAT.

ALDO CAN BE CINDERELLA! That's who I'm pulling for. I don't know what happens but Also gets my support.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Things really are a toss up when it comes to high level replacements. I could see Jorge throwing everything he's got early so he doesn't get dragged into deep water. I won't say he has the built in excuse of no camp, but even if he loses, I think he'll stay in the mix. I'm tired of Jorge's character though, so I hope Usman keeps the belt and if he can call Jorge down like he did Colby, that would be great too.

Max and Alex....just give me a great fight. Whoever wins, wins. But if Bill wins hopefully UFC can stop spouting off that BS that Max is the featherweight GOAT.

ALDO CAN BE CINDERELLA! That's who I'm pulling for. I don't know what happens but Also gets my support.
It's kind ironic that UFC has basically borrowed wrestling tropes like these to become more successful. From creating fake feuds between the combatants to calling every champion that's on a winning streak to the GOAT!!! I love Max Holloway, he's one of my favourites and his resume is extremely impressive. But has he really done more than, say, Aldo?

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,443
My phone autocorrected Volk to Bill
.....lol

But yeah I'm with you on that one, Yeah. I've even seen people on this site say that Max beating Also twice means he's eclipsed his resume. I just can't compare Aldo's WEC/UFC run to Max's and come up with Max as the GOAT despite the wins over Aldo. That run AS CHAMP by Also is legendary!

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,446 (Edited)
A large group of white dudes like other white dudes who act like assholes? Conor, Chael, Tito, Perry etc etc...

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Team whitey can claim Tito? i'm happy to discover this.

Anyway, getting past the more obvious fights on the card, i'm interested to see how Prochazka does this weekend, him in the UFC has been a long time coming.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,524 Posts
As a Boxing and MMA fan the big difference I always notice is gameplanning and the near complete lack of it in MMA.

Most fights guys have no gameplan and just go out there to swing and pray something lands. But even when there is a good gameplan in place the fighters so often abandon it. Aldo v Yan is a perfect example, Aldo's body kicks and leg kicks were working so well for him in the first 3 rounds, then he just stops throwing them altogether in the 4th. Why? Jose literally threw away a fight he was winning by ceasing to do what was winning him the fight. And this happens all the time in MMA, guys just start brawling and let their opponent back into the fight.

Why do MMA fighters abandon what works during a fight so easily?

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,452
Because all too often body shots and leg kicks DON'T win fights (read points).

·
15,524 Posts
I thought Max had just edged it, but it was close.

Surely though this makes Volk the GOAT 145er though right? The UFC touted Max as the GOAT because of two wins over Aldo, well now Volk has beat Aldo, and Max twice in his last three fights. By the UFC's own metric they need to start praising Volk as the GOAT.

I get the feeling they wont though.

Because all too often body shots and leg kicks DON'T win fights (read points).
But it controls the opponent and opens up other opportunities. I mean Aldo was winning that fight clearly, then stopped kicking and got his shit pushed in.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,455
Yeah I hate that X is the GOAT after 2 or 3 wins bullshit UFC tries to peddle to sell fights. DC, Jones, GSP, Silva, Aldo, Fedor, Rousey, Nunes and Joanna are the only GOATs. Now stop throwing that shit aroumd all willy nilly.

I agree wholeheartedly on the body shots and leg kicks front. I was talking to a buddy about it during the Also fight and one prior. I know what body shots can do. But all too often, JUDGES DON'T GIVE A FUCK. And it's sad. We've all seen it too.

·
15,524 Posts
With that Main Event I'm glad I didn't pay for this. Usman is beyond BOOOOOOORING. I dont know how to describe just how dull he is.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Smart fight by Usman, albeit a dull affair.

I want to see Usman vs Colby again. These two are head and shoulders above the rest of the division. They both easily dominate anyone else.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,460
With that Main Event I'm glad I didn't pay for this. Usman is beyond BOOOOOOORING. I dont know how to describe just how dull he is.
You are aware that Usman had to change strategy for a 100% different opponent on less than a week's notice right? Look at what happened to Luke....he lost his belt. DC had to go from Jones to Silva for UFC 200 on a few days notice too and he had to simply wrestlefuck him to victory. It's the circumstance. And why does it seem that people ONLY remember the most recent fight? Did Usman not tear the house down vs Colby?

Next question. How do you feel about GSP as a fighter/champion?

1441 - 1460 of 1495 Posts