Wrestling Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1264 Posts

·
The Shape
280 Posts
Texas uses the old criteria scoring which puts Octagon Control as a higher priority, so that might be why the judges saw it in favor of Jones. Under the new rules i can't see an argument for Jon winning.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,048 Posts
A black eye for MMA that whole Reyes/Jones debacle in my opinion.

Its either incompetence or corruption, and it looks really bad that once again Jones benefits from this shit.

And of course the Texas Commission are refusing to even entertain the idea that anything was wrong with the judging.

Jones has noticeably declined now that he has to piss clean as well.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
The Texas Commission totally sounds like a stable from the NWA.

Clearly paid off by Team Jones.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Was looking at upcoming fight cards today, and a couple really caught my attention.

On the PPV front, UFC 248 looks fantastic. After the first PPV of 2020 pretty much solely reliant on Conor, and the second falling on Jon Jones' shoulders, it's good to see a card with a bit more depth to it here. The bout order hasn't been finalized yet, but we have:

UFC Middleweight Championship- Israel Adesanya (c) vs. Yoel Romero
UFC Strawweight Championship- Zhang Weili (c) vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk
Derek Brunson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
Neil Magny vs. Li Jingliang
Beneil Dariush vs. Drakkar Close
Alex Oliveira vs. Max Griffin
Sean O'Malley vs. Jose Alberto Quinonez

^any one of those last 3 fights would be fine to take the 5th PPV match. I'm fairly confident the top 4 would be main card.

Then right after that, a surprisingly stacked Fight Night in Brazil:

Kevin Lee vs. Charles Oliveira
Demian Maia vs. Gilbert Burns
Johnny Walker vs. Nikita Krylov
Jussier Formiga vs. Brandon Moreno
Rani Yahya vs. Enrique Barzola
Franscisco Trinalde vs. John Makdessi

I'm a huge Charles Oliveira fan and hope that main event can be his big breakthrough. It's always cool seeing Maia do his thing. Can Johnny Walker rebound from his first loss? Moreno is super underrated and has a huge opportunity against Formiga. Yahya vs. Barzola is going to be some high level technical fighting, and Trinaldo vs. Makdessi should be fireworks.

Really glad to see a couple of cards with some depth. A lot of recent stuff- and upcoming cards- only had one or two appealing fights on paper- either because of the fighter's styles or because they carried some divsional relevance. UFC run so many cards and have so many fighters that there's plenty of fights with little consequence. Two guys could have a barnburner on the Fight Pass prelims, but if they're like #38 and #40 in the lightweight division, it doesn't really matter (I know the rankings don't actually go down that far, but you know what I mean).

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I think Israel will be too much for Yoel, but hopefully Yoel isn't an idiot like like Bobby Knuckles by running in to get popped and we actually get a contest.

Zhang will have too much power and I don't think we've seen the best from her yet either.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Really not feeling this card, I'm surprised I even remembered to do predictions for it before it starts. It speaks to how unlikeable Corey Anderson is, that he can put on a career-best performance, destroying the hype train of Johnny Walker in spectacular fashion, and I'm still not looking forward to his fight. Feel like it was a massive outlier as far as him showing aggression, and we're in for him grinding Blachowicz down for 5 rounds.

Cool to see Diego Sanchez fight, but I've been feeling like he's on the verge of falling for a while. He's had a couple of good victories against younger guys in recent times, but I think Pereira might be able to catch him.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
Weird night of fights with all the illegal knee DQs. Hopefully Diego gets the hint to retire he can't compete at 170.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
But good for Jan with the turn around. LHW has been really interesting since my boy Jones has seemed mortal or stopped taking PEDs. He has so many interesting fights at LHW who would've thought that a year ago

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
But good for Jan with the turn around. LHW has been really interesting since my boy Jones has seemed mortal or stopped taking PEDs. He has so many interesting fights at LHW who would've thought that a year ago
Like you say though, its only really interesting because Jones is in decline. These guys hes struggling with are nothing special compared to the guys hes been beating comfortably for the past 10 years. I guess its good that it feels more competitive now but the division as a whole just seems weaker than a few years back when we had Jones, DC, Rumble, Gus, Bader, Davis etc around and in (or nearish to) their primes.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
Like you say though, its only really interesting because Jones is in decline. These guys hes struggling with are nothing special compared to the guys hes been beating comfortably for the past 10 years. I guess its good that it feels more competitive now but the division as a whole just seems weaker than a few years back when we had Jones, DC, Rumble, Gus, Bader, Davis etc around and in (or nearish to) their primes.

Agree with you, it definitely feels weaker. Though maybe it's just because the new generation didn't get the benefit of coming up with the old guard and getting some wins off of them.

I do feel bad for the competition because it's hard to really even give them credit for improvements they truly have made. But at least as a fan this division is interesting by hook or by crook. You got 2 guys in it that folk think beat Jones (3 if Gus unretires). Then folk to watch out for like Rakic and Walker (if he gets back on track).

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Hell of a card so far. I love it when under the radar events kick ass. I really wasn't looking forward to much of this outside the main event to be honest, but we've had some great finishes, and the fights that have gone to decision have been competiitve, entertaining scraps.

Currently perfect on the predictions too. Always happens when I don't put money down haha

1161 - 1180 of 1264 Posts