Wrestling Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1500 Posts

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
That doctor clearly never saw Nate Diaz fight before. He was busted up from one of the first exchanges due to the scar tissue, but he was still very much in the fight and his vision was still fine. R4 and 5 Diaz is best Diaz. Seeing Nate attempt to comeback would have elevated the fight to all time classic status. Credit to Street Jesus though.

Awesome night of fights though. Besides Gastelum vs. Till. That was 3 rounds of tentative point fighting for the most part.
Nate has never won a decision in a 5 round fight and of the 4 times he's been in a championship round he's lost both fights. Idk where the myth of Nate Diaz being a championship round fighter comes from. He's durable and has cardio. But he's yet to prove he actually turns things around in round 4 and 5.

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
What is this called? ^^^ You're happy that a guy entertains, wins with excitement, DOESN'T ASSAULT WOMEN, OLD PEOPLE, get fucked up on coke, run with a gang, etc. etc. What is this joy that comes from a popular fighter losing?
You've never sports hated somebody? Do you root for every fighter that seems like a decent person? Somebody doesn't need to be a vile person for you to sports hate them. I sports hate Gus, Frankie, and Holly. They all seem like solid people.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
You've never sports hated somebody? Do you root for every fighter that seems like a decent person? Somebody doesn't need to be a vile person for you to sports hate them. I sports hate Gus, Frankie, and Holly. They all seem like solid people.
Thing with me is that I always have a reason for the hate. Like we always talk about Gus, Frankie, Holly and Faber getting title shots for no reason at all. But the only one of them I hate is Frankie. Frankie showed his true colors years ago when Benson and Aldo whooped that ass for a year straight.

Gus gets my ire not because of himself, but how people here kept trying to push him as an elite level fighter when he couldn't do anything with DC, Rumble or Jon. Yet people kept trying to talk him into title fights after beating someone like Glover or Jan years ago. Then they'd post like they worked for UFC, Fox or WME, talking about web traffic and buyrates. Like who the fuck are you to care about boardroom shit? That's not your wheelhouse, stay in your lane. None of that stuff should matter to us as fans.

Holly doesn't bother me. She's like 5-5 in UFC but there's a gap between the elite like Cyborg, Nunes and Shev to Holly, and then to girls like Megan, Rocky and Reneau. But I don't fault her for fighting literally ever girl she can.

Highlight of the Night for me!

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
Thing with me is that I always have a reason for the hate. Like we always talk about Gus, Frankie, Holly and Faber getting title shots for no reason at all. But the only one of them I hate is Frankie. Frankie showed his true colors years ago when Benson and Aldo whooped that ass for a year straight.

Gus gets my ire not because of himself, but how people here kept trying to push him as an elite level fighter when he couldn't do anything with DC, Rumble or Jon. Yet people kept trying to talk him into title fights after beating someone like Glover or Jan years ago. Then they'd post like they worked for UFC, Fox or WME, talking about web traffic and buyrates. Like who the fuck are you to care about boardroom shit? That's not your wheelhouse, stay in your lane. None of that stuff should matter to us as fans.

Holly doesn't bother me. She's like 5-5 in UFC but there's a gap between the elite like Cyborg, Nunes and Shev to Holly, and then to girls like Megan, Rocky and Reneau. But I don't fault her for fighting literally ever girl she can.

Highlight of the Night for me!

As a Midwest guy I was happy for Lee. But for me I'm indifferent on Johnny Walker he's been exciting. But I could see how the hype could make some folk hate him. Tbh I feel bad for Corey Anderson, he's basically the new Ryan Bader a really good if not occasionally great fighter who gets no love because he's not exciting lol.

But yeah I hate all those folk do to always being "in the title mix" regardless of what's happening. Gus and Holly are the worst of it. Though I think Yoel is soon to join their ranks if he actually gets the Adesanya fight

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
As a Midwest guy I was happy for Lee. But for me I'm indifferent on Johnny Walker he's been exciting. But I could see how the hype could make some folk hate him. Tbh I feel bad for Corey Anderson, he's basically the new Ryan Bader a really good if not occasionally great fighter who gets no love because he's not exciting lol.

But yeah I hate all those folk do to always being "in the title mix" regardless of what's happening. Gus and Holly are the worst of it. Though I think Yoel is soon to join their ranks if he actually gets the Adesanya fight
Thing is, I didn't see "hype" I saw "excitement" if that makes sense? It's just a fun guy having fun fights. Hell, if Johnny hadn't messed himself up, this fight may not have even taken place. Who knows who UFC would have given Johnny a few months ago.

Bader was looking good as a prospect till he met 2011 Jones, who was God tier, and a Tito who forgot it wasn't 2001. Then things were up and down a bit. But he still got it together.

Anderson just hasn't put it all together to get a great streak with meaningful names on it. But hey, who knows what's next for him. I think UFC will go with Reyes because, undefeated KO artists get the push in UFC. Corey may end up getting Smith or Volkan while Reyesand Jones shakes out.

Well Yoel has murdered everyone aside from Costa. It's not his fault. :draper2

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Great night of fights for me, highlighted by some tough motherfuckers taking shots and staying up.

Kevin Lee - highlight finish, what a kick! Still he's got to get back and beat some quality competition to make me a believer.

I have no idea how Ivanov was still on his feet after taking a Dresden style bombing from Lewis, never seen anyone stay on their feet after those huge shots. Entertaining to the max.

Thompson and Luque was great. It really was a masterclass from Wonderboy, but Luque again was tough as nails and you still felt he could cause trouble with a big shot at any time.

Next, colour me really impressed with Till, and disappointed in Gastellum. I had Kelvin knocking out Till in a hurry but Till had him covered everywhere. Insane judging having Kelvin up 30-27, the mob must've had something on that udge.

Despite the shitting ending, a great 3 rounds of the ME was as advertised. Jorge was all class and proved beyond doubt he was simply better than Diaz and didn't fall victim to his pressure act. Yes the stop was bullshit, but like Dominic said on commentary when you know you've got a big cut, you need to step it up and try to finish ASAP. I have no problem with the winner.

That BMF belt thing is laughable though and an embarassment. Good to see Rock though, even though he's so massive I'm surprised he could fit through the door. He ain't passing no drug tests.

Overall great event.

·
Banned
2,338 Posts
What is this called? ^^^ You're happy that a guy entertains, wins with excitement, DOESN'T ASSAULT WOMEN, OLD PEOPLE, get fucked up on coke, run with a gang, etc. etc. What is this joy that comes from a popular fighter losing?
he's beaten nothing but nobodies and everyone was hyping him up to be more than what he is glad anderson shut that shit down just another one to call Jones way ahead of a fight out and get destroyed

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
he's beaten nothing but nobodies and everyone was hyping him up to be more than what he is glad anderson shut that shit down just another one to call Jones way ahead of a fight out and get destroyed
This still doesn't make sense to me. He was simply moving up the rankings. Look at Izzy, one year in UFC and he's undeniably the best in the UFC 185 division. Now I know that he has a great pre UFC resume, but still. Walker was simply moving up, I don't see the problem. I said it earlier, had he not gotten hurt, judging by how often he had been fighting he would have most definitely squeezed in 2 more fights between March 2 (Misha) till Nov 2 (Corey). In Feb he beat a guy and turned around to face Misha in March. I got no problem with his trajectory. Who knows what could have happened in the 7 months between Misha and Corey, he could have faced OSP, Volkan and/or Latifi in that time up to Anderson.

I just don't see a reason to hate the guy. Why root for a fighter to fail just because people like him? It never made sense to me to hate a fighter by proxy like this.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Nate has never won a decision in a 5 round fight and of the 4 times he's been in a championship round he's lost both fights. Idk where the myth of Nate Diaz being a championship round fighter comes from. He's durable and has cardio. But he's yet to prove he actually turns things around in round 4 and 5.
Fair, thinking about it saying that "R4 and 5 Diaz is best Diaz" is off, but he does do better late than most fighters, due to that durability and cardio. And in this particular fight, Diaz seemed like he was doing much better in R3 against Masvidal. I think that's where a lot of anger with the stoppage comes from.

Would Diaz have won in those championship rounds? Maybe, maybe not. But given how the tides seemed to be turning a little, or at least Nate was finding some success with his punches, I wish it could have played out. Nate was cut real early in the fight, as he is in tons of his fights. He could still see clearly, he could still attack and defend. Let the ref call it if he thinks Diaz can't go on. You could see how disappointed Dan Miragliotta was in being forced to wave the fight off.

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
Fair, thinking about it saying that "R4 and 5 Diaz is best Diaz" is off, but he does do better late than most fighters, due to that durability and cardio. And in this particular fight, Diaz seemed like he was doing much better in R3 against Masvidal. I think that's where a lot of anger with the stoppage comes from.

Would Diaz have won in those championship rounds? Maybe, maybe not. But given how the tides seemed to be turning a little, or at least Nate was finding some success with his punches, I wish it could have played out. Nate was cut real early in the fight, as he is in tons of his fights. He could still see clearly, he could still attack and defend. Let the ref call it if he thinks Diaz can't go on. You could see how disappointed Dan Miragliotta was in being forced to wave the fight off.
The stoppage was anticlimactic. I don't think it was bad though. Nate's eyebrow cut really was pretty fucked. I disagree on the tide turning though. At best I can say Nate was taking less of an ass kicking, but I don't think there was a tide turning.

For me I more so hate the stoppage because it gives Nate an out. The Diaz brothers always have an excuse for losing. But the doctor calling the fight just gives him the biggest out he's had in a while.

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
Thing is, I didn't see "hype" I saw "excitement" if that makes sense? It's just a fun guy having fun fights. Hell, if Johnny hadn't messed himself up, this fight may not have even taken place. Who knows who UFC would have given Johnny a few months ago.

Bader was looking good as a prospect till he met 2011 Jones, who was God tier, and a Tito who forgot it wasn't 2001. Then things were up and down a bit. But he still got it together.

Anderson just hasn't put it all together to get a great streak with meaningful names on it. But hey, who knows what's next for him. I think UFC will go with Reyes because, undefeated KO artists get the push in UFC. Corey may end up getting Smith or Volkan while Reyesand Jones shakes out.

Well Yoel has murdered everyone aside from Costa. It's not his fault. :draper2
I mean except Yoel hasn't really been doing much murdering of as late. He killed Rockhold, which is becoming a diminished win. But you have to look at his fights before the first Whittaker fight to find him killing folk again. Yoel technically hasn't won a fight at 185 since Weidman in 2016.

·
Registered
22,749 Posts
He arguably won against Costa and 100% got fucked in the second Whittaker fight decision.

Romero vs Izzy is fucking GOAT tier matchmaking
But ultimately he actually lost those fights. I actually like Yoel so I wouldn't be annoyed too much if he got the title shot. But I'm highly against fighters who are doing a lot of losing getting title shots based on their name value.

·
Epstein didn't kill himself
7,006 Posts
You're the one whos discrediting him completely and saying he hasn't won a fight at 185 since Weidman in 2016. lmao

·
C Mac G
6,116 Posts
Jared Cannonier is probably getting the title shot, and he should tbf, he's coming off some great wins, and Dana really likes the guys too if you've ever seen Dana talk about him.

Makes sense all around even tho to many it's probably not the most compelling fight in the world.

Dana already said it's not going to be Romero, and he said they fucked up pushing Darren Till too fast against Woodley, so I doubt it's that either. Cannonier is the most likely scenario.

·
Epstein didn't kill himself
7,006 Posts
Dana's word doesn't mean shit.

I personally like the Romero fight more but wouldn't mind Cannonier getting next shot.

Romero can either fight Till or Kelvin lol

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #860
I personally like the Romero fight more but wouldn't mind Cannonier getting next shot.

Romero can either fight Till or Kelvin lol
I'm up for Izzy fighting anyone as long as he puts on another clinic! Romero is just a scary scary dude who physically breaks people so they can't fight after he faces them.

If Cannonier gets the shot I think it would be lighter work for Izzy. (Anything can happen tho)

As for Kelvin and Till. I have no idea what's next for either. I said it before the fight, Till just can't walk into title contention with his recent record and his win over Kelvin didn't change that. Kelvin has lost his last 2 so he's out of contention for a bit. But I don't see who these guys match up with. It really comes down to who get's the title shot and then you go from there.

I wouldn't be mad at Whittaker vs Kelvin, Till vs Yoel and Izzy vs Cannonier and see who shakes out for Costa's return.

841 - 860 of 1500 Posts