Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 4379 Posts

·
You're a mong.
5,399 Posts
Re: MMA Discussion Thread! (LET'S GET IT ON!)

Punk took a couple of nice shots really well and he's a good draw for PPVs but I don't know how much 'heart' was actually shown. Yeah he lasted 3 rounds but that's because a very limited Mike Jackson allowed it. He barely threw any power punches and after winning all 4 of his boxing fights by KO, he's obviously got the power to. Punk made no effort to get up whenever he was down, mainly due to virtually immediate fatigue. Decent takedown in the first round but 10-8's against him the following the two rounds. He has his fans and those who'll back him and look at it through tinted glasses but he's shit. Fair play to him for stepping in there but he's been in there twice and been completely dominated twice to the point of not looking like an athlete and more a random guy off the street.

He's a draw though so god knows where this leaves him, if people keep buying PPVs for him then he'll keep having a UFC career.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts

Jackson could have destroyed Punk like Gall did. The only difference was this time Punk showed some class at the weigh-in ceremony unlike the last fight where he disrespected Gall. That's why Jackson showed some mercy while Gall was mad at him and decided to destroy him.

Punk made UFC look like a joke. A complete embarrasement to the sport.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts

His wrestling is the only thing I would consider worthy, he got a nice takedown and some very good attempts, doesn't make up for his awful striking and bjj tho.

·
Registered
785 Posts

Genuinely 100x more embarrassing than his first fight. A literal can just toyed with Punk and beat his face into a bloodied pulp. Jackson had no intention of ever finishing Punk, he just wanted to beat him up and take his lunch money and he did just that.

We just watched Punk get BLACKED for 15-minutes.

Jackson's unwillingness to finish Punk caused Rogan to speculate during the fight that someone from punk's camp paid him to let it go the distance :lmao

·
The Blue Meanie
15,838 Posts

I give Punk credit for having heart, spirit and resilience. But his ego and pride also overruled him. He looked like amateur out there. Jackson took pity on him. The match was awful but at least he hung in there until the end. Although, I question if he even trained for this.

As others have said, Punk is still a draw. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts

Punk has a ton of heart and I admire him for that, but it was a pretty sad showing for a guy who had two years of training full-time at one of the best gyms in the world.

He's being taken to the hospital for CT Scan of his head. Probably has a broken orbital.

·
Baby Yoda
29,561 Posts

I give Punk credit for having heart, spirit and resilience. But his ego and pride also overruled him. He looked like amateur out there. Jackson took pity on him. The match was awful but at least he hung in there until the end. Although, I question if he even trained for this.

As others have said, Punk is still a draw. I wouldn't be surprised if he tries again.
Can we stop calling him an amateur? Amateurs fight better than that and display skill and technique they've picked up from training.

Punk showed absolutely nothing skill or technique wise. He isn't even worthy of the label amateur. He fought like a bum with no training who had gone into a fight blind.

Sure he had heart, but we've known that from the first fight. I expected so much more from Punk, he had years to prepare for this and showed nothing tonight other than heart, which we already knew he had.

MMA just isn't for someone like Punk. He does have the heart and resilience of champion but that's nowhere enough to overcome his lack of skill and athleticism.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

That wasn't pity, that was pettiness. Punk called Jackson a can during the build up to his fight with Gall and toying with Punk was Jackson's way of getting back at him. I still think the first round was semi-competitive though. Jackson didn't give up that takedown on purpose.

·
Registered
443 Posts

Tbf fair to Mike Overeem is somebody who probably should be cautious that's the 11th or 12th time he's been KO'd the only time he had a chin was when he was roiding and eating horse meat.

But yeah Punk's fight didn't go well, but I still call Bob Sapp the biggest can lol
When Bob Sapp actually cared he was a decent fighter though. He just realised he can make great money and put in no effort. Punk puts in effort but simply put is absolutely shit.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,838 Posts

Can we stop calling him an amateur? Amateurs fight better than that and display skill and technique they've picked up from training.

Punk showed absolutely nothing. He isn't even worthy of the label amateur. He fought like a bum with no training who had gone into a fight blind.

Sure he had heart, but we've known that from the first fight. I expected so much more from Punk, he had years to prepare for this and showed nothing tonight other than heart, which we already knew he had.
True. I didn't want to completely shit all over him. I thought his performance would've improved from last time. It didn't and his cardio is very poor. I have more intense workouts at the gym. Punk was gassed within five minutes. Jackson didn't impress me either.

·
Baby Yoda
29,561 Posts

True. I didn't want to completely shit all over him. I thought his performance would've improved from last time. It didn't and his cardio is very poor. I have more intense workouts at the gym. Punk was gassed within five minutes. Jackson didn't impress me either.
He's supposedly worked hard for this and this is all he can muster up against a tin can who doesn't belong in the UFC either. I expected so much more from him, really disappointed.

I just don't understand how you cannot pick anything up in those years of training.

Maybe I'm being too harsh on him, maybe it's just too difficult for him to pick up?

·
Registered
12,449 Posts

Punk legit won round 1, but he had no gas after that, it looked like he stunned Jackson with a right hand even but I'd need to see a replay on that. I wonder how much the trial impacted him because he was done after round 1. Anyway, hope he gets back to wrestling but thats just me being selfish lol

·
Registered
1,242 Posts

Graves is going in on Punk on Twitter. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was influenced by Vince etc.

161 - 180 of 4379 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.