Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 4379 Posts

·
Banned
5,274 Posts
Re: MMA Discussion Thread! (LET'S GET IT ON!)

Not a fan of having such stringent weight classes. Having so many divisions just encourages people to push themselves to go as far below their natural weight as possible to gain an advantage. There should be 3-4 weight classes max imho. Something like 150,180,210 and 211+.
This is dense as shit because you would have more fighters struggling to make weight. More weight categories means more fighters have more weight divisions within easy reach. What is a natural 170lb welterweight going to do if things were done your way? Near kill himself cutting down to 150 or eat extra cheeseburgers and put weights in his pants to make 180?

The whole point of more weight categories is to remove the need for excessive weight cuts.

·
Epstein didn't kill himself
7,006 Posts

Not a fan of having such stringent weight classes. Having so many divisions just encourages people to push themselves to go as far below their natural weight as possible to gain an advantage. There should be 3-4 weight classes max imho. Something like 150,180,210 and 211+.
That seems like an awful idea, 30 pound differences ? No thanks

·
Registered
5,805 Posts

What is a natural 170lb welterweight going to do if things were done your way? Near kill himself cutting down to 150 or eat extra cheeseburgers and put weights in his pants to make 180?
Uhh...fight in the 150-179lb division?

That seems like an awful idea, 30 pound differences ? No thanks
The HW division already has that, even bigger disparities in some cases. Prides weight divisions were pretty close to that too, and obviously it was the norm in the early days of the UFC. Its also easier and safer to slowly bulk up to be near the higher end of your natural weight class than it is to cut insane amounts of weight in a short space of time.

Having so many weight classes in relatively close proximity to each other just encourages fighters to compete as far below their natural weight as they can get away with. And of course it also creates more opportunity for fighters to screw up and miss weight.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

You didn't make your upper/lower weight distinctions clear. :shrug

But I think the 10 pounds per weight class is fine. Yeah you'd need to adjusted the scales a bit going up. But I think what needs to happen is real punishments for being over weight. Maybe start banning fights for 3 to 5 months might get people back on track. It's gotten pretty ridiculous at this point.

·
7,006 Posts

The HW division already has that, even bigger disparities in some cases. Prides weight divisions were pretty close to that too, and obviously it was the norm in the early days of the UFC. Its also easier and safer to slowly bulk up to be near the higher end of your natural weight class than it is to cut insane amounts of weight in a short space of time.

Having so many weight classes in relatively close proximity to each other just encourages fighters to compete as far below their natural weight as they can get away with. And of course it also creates more opportunity for fighters to screw up and miss weight.
Any sane person could see that a 260 pound man fighting a 240 pound man is not the same as 160 man fighting a 130 pound man.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts

Any sane person could see that a 260 pound man fighting a 240 pound man is not the same as 160 man fighting a 130 pound man.
Its technically possible for a 206lb man to fight an (officially) 265lb man under the current rules, and then when you factor in that some guys cut to make that it can go up into the 280s come fight time (Brock for example). And this is in a division that historically has the highest KO percentage. Not sure why thats less outrageous than two fighters on the manlet spectrum competing against each other. Besides, I didnt mention 130-160, the weight classes I suggested are pretty close to Prides WW, MW and HW divisions.

Anyway, the nurses are bringing me my meds now so i'd better go. Not supposed to have internet access in my padded cell.

·
7,006 Posts

Its technically possible for a 206lb man to fight an (officially) 265lb man under the current rules, and then when you factor in that some guys cut to make that it can go up into the 280s come fight time (Brock for example). And this is in a division that historically has the highest KO percentage. Not sure why thats less outrageous than two fighters on the manlet spectrum competing against each other. Besides, I didnt mention 130-160, the weight classes I suggested are pretty close to Prides WW, MW and HW divisions.

Anyway, the nurses are bringing me my meds now so i'd better go. Not supposed to have internet access in my padded cell.
You said 150, 180, 210, those are 30 pound increments

lol

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Yair Rodriguez has been reinstated and has verbally agreed to fight Zabit at UFC 228.
:lmao

"You want your job back? You gotta bring that ass!"

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

:trips7

Her lips were chapped...

HER LIPS WERE CHAPPED!

HER FUCKING LIPS WERE CHAPPED!

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

I now want Sam Alvey to host a game show.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Jarred Brooks apparently KO'ed himself tonight. :lol

Just checked on Ellenberger and he's 2-8 in his last 10!

·
7,006 Posts

This Gregor Gillespie lad is def on my radar now after tonight

·
Registered
5,587 Posts

I hate to be that guy but I won't miss Bisping. He was a piece of shit for far too long. The disrespect he showed Dan, treating rookies on TUF like shit, intentionally kneeing Jorge Rivera while he was on his knees then spitting on his corner men, refusing to defend the 185 Championship against real challengers and burning flags. Yes, he never used PEDs. And yes he lost an eye but I'd call that karma after what he did to Rivera. :shrug Bisping can truly fuck off.
Same. Consistency is key. And one thing that remains consistent with my MMA fandom is that I will always hate Michael Bisping, for all the things you mentioned.

Also want to add that some Bisping fans defend his title run saying "he just fought who the UFC told him to fight". I'd like to recall his antics in the lead up to UFC 206 in Toronto. Bisping was heavily pushing to be on that card to fight GSP. In the space of about 4 hours, the following happened.

-Bisping did everything under the sun to pressure GSP into fighting at UFC 206.
-GSP stated he wouldn't be in the USADA pool early enough to be eligible to fight in Toronto.
-Luke Rockhold got injured, taking him out of a main event with Jacare
- The prospect of Bisping vs. Jacare at UFC 206 came up.
- Bisping refuted that idea, saying he had a fractured orbital bone (which wouldn't have prevented him fighting GSP on the same date).

He's scum. I just wished he had fought Robert Whittaker before he retired (another fight he avoided and actually pulled out of for UFC 193).

---

Anyway, coming up, my fandom for MMA will be reignited! I've been kinda off it for a few months. Sorta keeping tabs, but nothing really caught my interest. UFC 223 looked to be awesome, but Conor happened. UFC 224 happened on my mum's birthday so couldn't watch live (The Machida KO looked cool, but nothing else seemed to stand out based on online reports). Thompson vs Till sounded good, but I was working while the event was on and found out how it went down. Pass.

UFC 225! Robert Whittaker is my boy. I was deprived of seeing him live in Perth, but we get to watch him and Romero run it back one more time. Just re-watched the first one before making this post. Feel like it was underrated when we talk of the best fights of 2017. To think Whittaker did that on an injured knee, madness.

The entire card is full of fights I'm keen on. There's some of my favourite fighters, my countrymen (and women) and just some great fights all the way down to the Fight Pass prelims.

And CM Punk. I'm curious to see what happens now that he's facing someone genuinely at his level. As bad as Punk's debut was, Mike Jackson's was even worse (both against Mickey Gall).

Pumped! Just Bleed and all that.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts

Did anyone see that Bareknuckle show with Ricco, Bec etc? was tempted to purchase but it seemed a little too pricey

21 - 40 of 4379 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.