• no, slowburn and wait

Votes: 18 54.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it may be a bit soon to ask the question cause we are 5 weeks away from All out and peoples decision may change befor then. im not even decided yet.

on one hand, MJF is probably the best talker and maybe overall talent they have on the roster and only 24(?). he gets you invested in everything he does and is must watch everytime he's on the screen. an undefeated MJF with the World title would be a huge storyline as well. throw in the Moxleys title reign has been a bit underwheming, not by anything he has done, but world circumstances causing him to have forgettable fueds with Hager and Brodie rather then MJF which is what i believe was the original Double or Nothing plan for him. regardless his reign hasn't been that great.

on the other hand, say MJF wins the title at All Out, where does he go from there? we've seen in wrestling that giving a guy the that mega push at a young age can back fire. as hard as it is to get to the top, it's even harder to maintain that spot and be compelling every week, every match ect. it may be a situation where the only place to go is down. Mox can also have a redeeming title reign if he continues as champ. matches with Archer, Pac if he's able to travel back soon, heel Kenny, could be great title matches.

Mox's reign hasn't been great because of lack of competition, Hager, Brodie, Cage mini fued was fine imo but thats it. but think about what can MJF do? who's a top face challenger for him? Mox, Hangman, and.........so he could end up in a similar situation Mox has been in, no clear cut challengers for him to make you invested in a long term build up. maybe someone else is built up for him but i can't think of who unless they write an angle for Cody to somehow get a title shot, he'd have to remain face rather then turn heel as well.

so as of now, i think im slightly on the 'too soon' train, but that can change come ppv

·
Mr Big Shot
133 Posts
Probably too soon. Although I'm not a big fan of Moxley and find him boring and wouldn't mind if the trigger was pulled.

·
Premium Member
10,975 Posts
I know AEW has to book things now without taking into consideration when the crowd will be back, but damn it would suck if MJF's first title win didn't happen with thundering boos. Moxley is a face champion that is also suffering because no crowd.

But this is the right program to do now.

·
Angry at refs
3,235 Posts
It feels weird. Right now, I'm going to say it's too soon. I think he should lose to Moxley (make it close), go on a tirade and steal a spot in the TNT open challenge.
He can have a lengthy TNT run and use that as a platform to finally become AEW champ.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Way too soon. I don't think he'll win it but a competitive match with Mox and losing his streak could be good for him. Losing to the World Champion doesn't hurt the guy.
MUCH too soon to actually win the title.

But yeah, I really don't see any downside to his first big loss being from Mox.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
I stand by my point that his character needs to win the belt in front of fans or its wasted.Hes driven by heat and being a heel so theres really no fucking point. Too soon

AEW has big storyline plans and they clearly are holding off. What will they have left to do after.

Reactions: BigCy

·
The EST of NXT
28,826 Posts
Too soon? It's been nearly a year of him being the best pure heel on the show. Make him champ and give him a long reign until you have a super over babyface like Kenny Omega take him out. That'll shut up all the people complaining about his booking.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
I said in another thread - define “too soon”.

If you leave it on the burner too long, MJF risks getting Braun Strowman’d.
’to soon’ for me is - he still has a boyish look in the face

IMO he needs another 2 years

but.... as they say in Rugby - ‘if you’re good enough, you‘re old enough’

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd have given MJF an extended run with the TNT belt first but it seems Cody is planning to monopolise it for the foreseeable - and I can't complain too much about that because the open challenges are highlights of the show.

Probably moot to think about anyway as Mox will retain.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Strap the belt to him and go. He defines the aggressive nature of the AEW fanbase. Without crowds you need a champion that stirs shit up and keeps the show progressing. MJF has the streak and the eventual Wardlow turn to make his run must see, right now. And you aren't risking a long term burnout because MJF has a face turn, that should be pretty important to AEWs overall growth, waiting on him a few years down the road.

Not to mention you elevate the crap out of Wardlow having him protect, and eventually betray, the World Champ. You make a 3rd guy matter this way. I think it is way too early to have Wardlow turn on MJF.

·
Banned
13,306 Posts
’to soon’ for me is - he still has a boyish look in the face

IMO he needs another 2 years

but.... as they say in Rugby - ‘if you’re good enough, you‘re old enough’
The way i see it is they can give him the title now. He can run with it for a few months but he doesn't necessarily have to be thrust into main event level immediately after losing it.

I think popping the balloon without beating Moxley will make him fall far and it'll be harder for him to recover. Strowman still hasn't recovered, as far as im concerned. Strowman could've been fotc EASILY. That's how hot he was - but no, RoMaN ReIgNs. Well done Vince.

Give him a run now - everything he's been talking about will be certified. Let him lose to someone at the end of the year. Pop the balloon after winning the big one and he'll be able to rise again. and without struggle.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
No. It’s that Moxley's first run with the belt is too long, considering that most of the shows haven’t been very good in quality since he became champion. Take the belt off of Mox for about a month and put it back on him. No one is hurt if the only losses MJF and Mox have are to each other. Not to mention that, even if MJF has zero successful defenses after winning the belt, he will always remain an important character because of it for the forseeable future. And can easily gain heel heat reminding his opponents that he was a former AEW champion.

Mox is better off chasing the belt anyways.

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
The way i see it is they can give him the title now. He can run with it for a few months but he doesn't necessarily have to be thrust into main event level immediately after losing it.

I think popping the balloon without beating Moxley will make him fall far and it'll be harder for him to recover. Strowman still hasn't recovered, as far as im concerned. Strowman could've been fotc EASILY. That's how hot he was - but no, RoMaN ReIgNs. Well done Vince.

Give him a run now - everything he's been talking about will be certified. Let him lose to someone at the end of the year. Pop the balloon after winning the big one and he'll be able to rise again. and without struggle.
oh, i agree

now that they put him in the hunt, let him win the damn thing

i just wish they waited a little while still to put him in the hunt

but now? I want to see him beat Mox

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
Him having a proper run with TNT title beforehand will help further develop his character, where he can feud with alot of guys at midcard level and he wont seem out of place. MJF vs Darby, MJF vs Jungle Boy (for the TNT title), MJF vs Wardlow, Luchasaurus, Starks etc. Then he can ascend to the mainevent level eventually and it will feel right.

Once he wins the world title, where does he go from there.. retain against Hangman? Cody and Mox? And then where does he go from there? Once he is a bonafide mainevent star, a former world champion, it will feel like he is relegated to midcard feuds and it will feel like a step down for him when he faces the same guys I mentioned above.

I personally think its early for him.. but IF he wins it.. I wont be mad. I just think going the long route to win your first world title is always more special unless you are an anomaly like Lesnar.

Also, I selfishly want a heel Omega to win the title from Mox and avenge his loss from last year. It makes more sense for me than having MJF win it, when you have people like Omega and Cody just sitting there all ready to run with the world title.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Mox’s reign fucking sucks. He’s been a lazy as hell champion, working 2 minute promos, 5 matches, and that’s it in 6 fucking months.

You can complain about lack of crowds all you want, but it only further proves that he isn’t much different than WWE, whose quality of shows have been more evident with the lack of crowds.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts