Wrestling Forum banner

MJF vs Ricky Starks on the mic

3388 Views 76 Replies 57 Participants Last post by  IronMan8
Well, did dollar store Dwayne manage to hold a candle to MJF on Dynamite?
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Premium Member
No one is ready for Konami
Starks definitely cut the better promo, which needed to happen. They can't just have MJF murder him on the mic every week.

Registered
Ricky smoked MJF, and MJF was great

this was the perfect dynamic - MJF is getting cheers cause he鈥檚 good on the mic

how do you solve it? Put a babyface against him thats also good

which is why Eddie v MJF will rule so fucking hard when it happens
The only Eddie that is a main eventer is not alive right now. MJF should only feud with top guys from now on.

But the rest of your post was correct.

Registered
*coin drop*

Joey loved it. Personally, I think it's way too early to consider Starks the World Champion. It's a process and what he's done recently, finally getting some meaningful wins (Hobbs, Archer, Cage, Ethan Page) and the spotlight promo are a step in the right direction. It's not essential in AEW, but I feel like if Starks added a bit of bulk/width to his frame, he'd have a fully marketable appearance.

Registered
Great segment, very well planned regarding the level that each went to in the promos.
MJF could easily have gone further and ended up level with Starks - But this was Ricky's segment to "win", and he absolutely stepped up and showed what he's got.

MJF was perfect as well, giving it the whole "he's got me beat" and resorting to the dick kick cos he couldn't respond.

Very well done all round.

Registered
The only Eddie that is a main eventer is not alive right now. MJF should only feud with top guys from now on.

But the rest of your post was correct.
listen, Eddie G was my all time fav - no lies. When he passed my love for wrestling did too for some years

But Eddie Kingston has that same fan connection. Yeah, he's not the best wrestler - but geez does the fans love him

the 'everyman' beating MJF for the title one day would be magical

imagine if its in NEW YORK - a whole Long Island vs Brooklyn thing at Arthur Ashe

:antonio: :antonio: :antonio:

Registered
The references were to wrestling history, there wasn't anything cheap about this promo. An example of a cheap WWE pop would've been the first time MJF referenced "trips" to get an "ooooo" reaction. This promo wasn't that.

As a young company, AEW's own history is not long enough to exclusively reference in order to build upon historical examples for storyline purposes. Instead, they've been consistent about including all wrestling history within AEW canon, which includes but goes beyond WWE.

Was there even a single reference to anyone actively working at WWE right now?
I get what you mean. My issue is that I鈥檓 a big AEW and MJF fan. But I honestly haven鈥檛 seen him cut one promo that isn鈥檛 heavy on the WWE references. And these references are what always gets the biggest reaction. I鈥檇 honestly just like to see one promo where he doesn鈥檛 need to do that.

Registered
Felt like MJF's promo was more of the same, but Starks got him in the end. Great stuff, just hope they don't drop the ball with Starks after he inevitably loses to MJF. It would be absolutely criminal if Starks isn't AEW Champion in this company one day.

Banned
Starks has grown on me a little more over the past year or so. He needs something different then the spear though and grab a little more muecle i think though. Did anyone think he looked naked when he had his hands in front of him though? Lol

Registered
listen, Eddie G was my all time fav - no lies. When he passed my love for wrestling did too for some years

But Eddie Kingston has that same fan connection. Yeah, he's not the best wrestler - but geez does the fans love him

imagine if its in NEW YORK - a whole Long Island vs Brooklyn thing at Arthur Ashe

To tel you the truth, I don't know that people from Brooklyn would ever care. 馃槅

Registered

Joey loved it. Personally, I think it's way too early to consider Starks the World Champion. It's a process and what he's done recently, finally getting some meaningful wins (Hobbs, Archer, Cage, Ethan Page) and the spotlight promo are a step in the right direction. It's not essential in AEW, but I feel like if Starks added a bit of bulk/width to his frame, he'd have a fully marketable appearance.
I agree that you can't earmark Starks for a World Title run but there certainly is a story to tell that can come roundabout in a year with Ricky and MJF if he can continue to step up.

I would focus on continued development and growth with bigger stories and fueds for him in 2023, namely programs with Jericho and Christian both that lead to PPV matches.

Registered
I loved that promo from Starks. MJF is polished and dependable. Starks was on fire that night though and it is a shame it is MJF鈥檚 first defence with little doubt who wins.

Starks was so good because he had no shortcuts with catchphrases or cheap heat.

Starks had been off TV before with injuries. He was doing Dark on commentary for 2020-2021 and he usually felt naturally charismatic from almost the first day he worked with Excalibur and Taz. That is a big leap in preparation from the Garcias and Yutas have shown so far. The first promos we saw from them were probably one of the first times they have ever done them on such a large stage. They are far behind Starks in that regard.

Registered

"Eddie Kingston will never win the world title" - MJF

Maybe Moxley is the wild card to tie it together - I still remember that promo between them about Eddie's promise to his mother...

Pure magic if it happens!

Registered
"Eddie Kingston will never win the world title" - MJF

Maybe Moxley is the wild card to tie it together - I still remember that promo between them about Eddie's promise to his mother...

Pure magic if it happens!
subtle little clues from the Ricky promo too

he didn鈥檛 use that 鈥榩artnah鈥 for nothing

61 - 77 of 77 Posts