Wrestling Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts
The promo exchange was entertaining but it was nothing ground breaking. They had to hype up there title match some how. It looked like they took a lot of there insults from what people generally say about them. So it was not anything new just funny it was used on TV.

With that said I felt this segment would have felt more impactful had Starks been given a proper build to this. He was forgotten for most part brought in recently to get a big title push out of no where. So none of his stuff looked believable to me.

OMG is this a positive thread in the AEW section? Blow me down. Haven't seen any of the usual negative nancies in here, must be taking the day off ;)

Both Ricky and MJF were fantastic but we're used to MJF knocking it out of the park, this was Ricky's night and he killed it. Loved the spear as well, it was virtually a perfect segment. Kudos. They got me from somewhat caring about next week to really wanting to see it and see more of Starks. Job done.

Can someone clarify for me though - does Ricky now get two separate shots at MJF now he won the Battle Royal? Or is next week for the title and ring? The smart thing of course would be for Ricky to lose the belt match but win the ring due to Danielson fuckery > then you move to Danielson v MJF while Ricky moves on.

they are both awful but ricky is less awful and a better all around character with depth .. mjf feels like a one trick pony at this point and I didn't dislike him before but now I cringe all the way thru his segments and hope somebody more enjoyable to watch comes on soon

It’s the usual AEW promo battle, reference WWE as much as possible to get cheap pops and then everyone thinks it’s a great promo. I just want to hear one decent AEW promo that isn’t about WWE or their stars
I agree for those saying this is better than anything WWE does don't realize this was made perfect thanks to WWE. It makes them both sound like WWE fanboys who are playing wrestler. Anyone in there backyard could reference something more popular to get pops.

With that said the promo was entertaining. I smiled while watching it cause I did not think they would use what normally fans say about them in there promo. However this point you made is solid and it does degrade the level of greatness for me.

Ricky had a good showing for himself. I honestly think he's been going through the motions for a while now, but he got a big opportunity to feud with MJF, and he's done well so far. Hopefully this can take him to the next level. He's a talented guy.

MJF was good but it was Ricky's night.

There's something about how it wasn't totally smooth and rehearsed sounding that helped it even more, like the little bit of hesitation at times or talking a bit too fast actually made it better because it sounded more genuine. And some of those insults were incredible.

I hope that this somehow goes longer after next week, both guys can definitely do more with this.
I hope they save some heat for a future, legit program, because these two are close in real life so they will have material for days.

I was joking with my brother last night how awesome it would be to sit in the room and watch them bounce ideas off each other for that back and forth last night.

Ricky has "it'

Despite his size or any setbacks he has a charisma and charm that draws you to him.

MJF is a your typical try hard bully douche, And yeah he is a kayfabe heel! LOLZ. tottaly doesnt make it easy for him right. Just shout and repeat the same old tired shit for years now. He hasnt changed enough to show he isnt a one trick pony.

On the bright side imagine how much better AEW would be if MJF and all of Team Taz got the rocket instead of Mox vs random drug addict and the flabby Elite dorks.

It’s the usual AEW promo battle, reference WWE as much as possible to get cheap pops and then everyone thinks it’s a great promo. I just want to hear one decent AEW promo that isn’t about WWE or their stars
The references were to wrestling history, there wasn't anything cheap about this promo. An example of a cheap WWE pop would've been the first time MJF referenced "trips" to get an "ooooo" reaction. This promo wasn't that.

As a young company, AEW's own history is not long enough to exclusively reference in order to build upon historical examples for storyline purposes. Instead, they've been consistent about including all wrestling history within AEW canon, which includes but goes beyond WWE.

Was there even a single reference to anyone actively working at WWE right now?

Just my two cents....

Starks has always been "meh" to me on the mic, but this was his big shot. He delivered.

To be honest I suspect on the body of evidence someone backstage wrote Starks material and he practiced it. He cannot be discredited for the fact that he came through, for perhaps one of the first times.

MJF is better on the stick taking previous rounds under account, but good for Starks showing something.

I was really afraid they wouldn't let Ricky do his thing (maybe not even giving him a mic), and MJF would win the whole exchange easily, but man, was I wrong. Ricky delivered in spades, and looked absolutely like an equal to Max. Then being kicked in the balls and still coming out on top with the spear, Ricky was perfectly booked as a babyface on this show. Obviously, he has a 0% chance to win next week, as he should, but if they keep giving him stuff to do, he can be a huge star for sure.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.