Wrestling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

· Registered
2,796 Posts
I have been waiting and waiting for Ricky to finally get that push and I'm glad that it lived up to what I was hoping. That's the kind of promo exchange that you only seem to get in AEW and honestly that is frustrating because I know there is talent in WWE that can do it, but there is just something about WWE promo's where they can't seem to get out of the clichés that Vince has pounded into them for years and years.

But yeah, Ricky obviously isn't on MJF's level completely, but then again nobody is and he hung right in there with him. I mean just look at how he did compared to how Wheeler Yuta did. That is how you make stars. Ring prowess means absolutely nothing if you can't do what Ricky just did.

· Registered
1,439 Posts
Superb segment. Had everything. And The Pebble more than held his own, if anything he beat the main man on the mic.

I loved when the crowd were chanting “Maxi Pad” MJF said to him, “if that sticks I swear to God..”

Also, first time I think anyone’s used MJF’s mole to get over. I always wondered if that was a touchy subject for him or not, but damn it worked.

White hot segment.

· Registered
3,734 Posts
Yeah, it was really great!

I too was worried when he said, "I'm going to stomp an asshole in....... you?!?" But like you mentioned, he stuck the landing.
Yeah was scary for a couple moments there.

This was make or break time for him so really glad he delivered. Give him more mic time and exposure and hell get even better and if he does flub something slightly it won't be as big of a deal. That promo made him.

· Registered
—lights out—
696 Posts
This was the promo segment of the year from any company, by a wide margin. And Ricky’s promo, specifically, was the greatest babyface promo in years. This type of fire, energy, and raw talent is what pro wrestling has been lacking. That crowd lit up like no other, and Starks proved his value. An unbelievable moment that exceeded all expectations.

· Registered
15 Posts
I have been watching the White Lotus Season 2 lately as well. Surprisingly good character writing for an American show (sorry, I watch nothing but British TV now). Some of the actors pull it off so, so well..you can again almost leave the disbelief behind and feel you are watching what these people are like in real life. It is unfortunate that wrestling, which is the same concept of storytelling and acting, cannot get more of this back. Wrestling is a soap opera, and at times it seems like one of the worst ones EVER on TV lately LOL.

· Registered
401 Posts
I really liked Ricky from the NWA shows I watched when it first began on youtube. He has great natural charisma. If he put on a little mass he could be a main eventer. I actually thought mjf’s promo was pretty weak (it’s the same promo he cuts every time, so if you like that promo you probably lurked it), but Starks knocked it out of the park

· Registered
6,400 Posts
MJF was good but it was Ricky's night.

There's something about how it wasn't totally smooth and rehearsed sounding that helped it even more, like the little bit of hesitation at times or talking a bit too fast actually made it better because it sounded more genuine. And some of those insults were incredible.
Exactly, and people naturally sense that kind of thing under the surface

I think it's a systematic advantage AEW has over WWE tbh

Wrestling is fake, so at least make the characters feel as real as possible. Scripted promos kill the emotional buy-in
Personally, I think the most people will get out of WWE characters is snake oil lube... but we'll see how these respective promo styles pan out long-term :) The Regal stuff is an example of the other side of that coin

The bit where he said "give me a break" sounded a bit wimpy. Not really tough guy speak is it? Otherwise he was flawless in content and delivery. He just needs to beef up a bit more. He has a very scrawny body, but has good height.
In theory, yes.

But holistically, people will sense the confidence and condescending vibes underneath those words, so nobody will actually walk away thinking Ricky is wimpy

WWE has trained you to codify everything into the idea of each literal scripted word and to ignore all other cues...

You don't have to ignore all those other cues with AEW :p

· Registered
16,621 Posts
Unpopular opinion but I think Ricky has more range and diverse speaking. He just hasn't had much time or ressons to show range. After Ricky loses they better not fuck this up. They need to push him as some comeback long story. Getting AA belt or TNT and build him up.

· Premium Member
15,123 Posts
I’ll have to rewatch this when I get home; I thought Ricky did good but nothing too outstanding and he seemed stressed out. Granted, it’s also not easy cutting a promo after a match where you’re tired.

But with Page (Ethan), MJF; and Ricky. Good future for AEW on the mic.

· Registered
9,577 Posts
If there was anything Id change, Id have him snatch the microphone from MJF and make him more confrontational, but other than that, it was a quite enjoyable promo. I thought he played well off MJF's arrogant promo and the reactions were great

· Ho!
20,676 Posts
Mentioned in the AEW thread, it was good but getting a bit overrated. MJF cut one his weakest promos, which kinda brought it down. Starks did good and cut the best promo I've seen from him, but nothing truly groundbreaking or career defining. Just a good promo from a guy who's otherwise not been spectacular.

It was about trying to get Starks to feel credible going against MJF, and they managed to do that. The feud doesn't need to go any longer though because I think they blew their load this week (which is what they should do if it is going to be a one and done match). I can't see them getting much more mileage out of this feud or Starks cutting another promo on the level he did. It'll hopefully be a strong match next week and we can look back on this as a really good first TV feud for MJF's title reign.

· Registered
239 Posts
it was a great segment. ricky done well. ricky should have been getting pushed a year ago instead of now. hopefully this means he's a star player going forward and gets featured on the show every week. I reckon khan might go back to not putting him on dynamite once the feud with MJF ends.

· Registered
909 Posts
I’ll have to rewatch this when I get home; I thought Ricky did good but nothing too outstanding and he seemed stressed out. Granted, it’s also not easy cutting a promo after a match where you’re tired.

But with Page (Ethan), MJF; and Ricky. Good future for AEW on the mic.
lol....dont mention that geek ethan page in the same sentence as mjf or starks. Dude is vanilla who makes vlogs about collecting toys....he is never going to be a star.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts