Wrestling Forum banner

MJF vs Ricky Starks on the mic

4K views 76 replies 57 participants last post by  IronMan8 
#1 ·
Well, did dollar store Dwayne manage to hold a candle to MJF on Dynamite?

#2 ·
I thought they were both great together. Way better than anything you would hear in WWE.

#8 · (Edited)
People always rave about MJF's segments as one of the best of the year, but this was more about setting the stage for Ricky to shine, and shine he did!

Starks' performance reminded me of Eddie Kingston's rise as a pure underdog with a future world title chance because of his irresistible connection with the crowd

Shhhh! Scripted promos are freaking* amazing too

*cue Seth Rollins laughter

#7 ·
Loved it. Ricky more than held his own. I liked his content and delivery better here but clearly the point was to showcase Ricky Starks here and it was done well. Looking forward to their match.

Just wish Ricky won the diamond ring and then lost the title match.

#10 ·
MJF was good but it was Ricky's night.

There's something about how it wasn't totally smooth and rehearsed sounding that helped it even more, like the little bit of hesitation at times or talking a bit too fast actually made it better because it sounded more genuine. And some of those insults were incredible.

I hope that this somehow goes longer after next week, both guys can definitely do more with this.

#30 ·
MJF was good but it was Ricky's night.

There's something about how it wasn't totally smooth and rehearsed sounding that helped it even more, like the little bit of hesitation at times or talking a bit too fast actually made it better because it sounded more genuine. And some of those insults were incredible.
Exactly, and people naturally sense that kind of thing under the surface

I think it's a systematic advantage AEW has over WWE tbh

Wrestling is fake, so at least make the characters feel as real as possible. Scripted promos kill the emotional buy-in
Personally, I think the most people will get out of WWE characters is snake oil lube... but we'll see how these respective promo styles pan out long-term :) The Regal stuff is an example of the other side of that coin

The bit where he said "give me a break" sounded a bit wimpy. Not really tough guy speak is it? Otherwise he was flawless in content and delivery. He just needs to beef up a bit more. He has a very scrawny body, but has good height.
In theory, yes.

But holistically, people will sense the confidence and condescending vibes underneath those words, so nobody will actually walk away thinking Ricky is wimpy

WWE has trained you to codify everything into the idea of each literal scripted word and to ignore all other cues...

You don't have to ignore all those other cues with AEW :p

#16 ·
This 1000%

#18 ·
Absolute spot on entertainment. Not sure a fan could ask for more than that in a segment. Thoroughly entertaining.

I always think to myself, how would I do if I had to be Ricky Sparks in that moment. It would be a train wreck. To think of the talent it takes to pull off that segment as well as he did, amazing. These guys are so good at what they do.

Then I thought wow there are not a lot of guys on the roster that could have hung that well in that segment. Nothing against Yuta, but that example came to mind. When you are not great at promos and delivering a character that appears SEAMLESS, it just does not work. Grayson Waller also came to my mind last night as he just oozes it SEAMLESSLY. These talented guys/girls that truly make you feel you are watching THAT guy talk for real, not an actor delivering lines. Yuta would have come off badly trying to pull off the same segment with MJF last night.

A reminder of how much promo and character personality mean to the end product you put out. You see these guys that are amazing in the ring, then start talking and they are robotic and horrible. You lose me. Was watching the latest Tales from the Territories this week on demand and seeing some of those old Flair and Cornette segments. My oh my, goose bumpingly spectacular. Made you drop your disbelief and be in that moment with them, they were that good. Not a lot of that left, which is why for me and some others, I end up FFWD through most WWE/AEW shows now after watching wrestling for 40+ years. But not last's Starks MJF segment, just so well done. Kudos for both of them for knowing what they needed to do. If they had a similar structure like UFC, definitely should have been handing out the $50k bonuses to those two last night.

#19 ·
This segment was very AEW in spirit. Two talents plucked from smaller promotions, turned into 'AEW guys', taking the spotlight and flourishing in it. A feel of a real alternative, with unscripted promos and youthful freshness, not a rehash from Smackdown five years ago. Now they have to deliver a good match to follow the promos as that's also important.

MJF, Starks, Darby, Wardlow, OC, Jungle Boy, Sammy and The Acclaimed are examples of TK turning unknowns into something more than they were before. This is something he's good at. I feel like when he's handed a veteran fresh out of WWE, it's a tough situation for him. If he pushes them too much, it can feel like he's eroding the identity of AEW. If he pushes them too little, the complaints begin saying that he's wasting them.

#21 ·
I have been waiting and waiting for Ricky to finally get that push and I'm glad that it lived up to what I was hoping. That's the kind of promo exchange that you only seem to get in AEW and honestly that is frustrating because I know there is talent in WWE that can do it, but there is just something about WWE promo's where they can't seem to get out of the clichés that Vince has pounded into them for years and years.

But yeah, Ricky obviously isn't on MJF's level completely, but then again nobody is and he hung right in there with him. I mean just look at how he did compared to how Wheeler Yuta did. That is how you make stars. Ring prowess means absolutely nothing if you can't do what Ricky just did.

#23 ·
Superb segment. Had everything. And The Pebble more than held his own, if anything he beat the main man on the mic.

I loved when the crowd were chanting “Maxi Pad” MJF said to him, “if that sticks I swear to God..”

Also, first time I think anyone’s used MJF’s mole to get over. I always wondered if that was a touchy subject for him or not, but damn it worked.

White hot segment.

#26 ·
This was the promo segment of the year from any company, by a wide margin. And Ricky’s promo, specifically, was the greatest babyface promo in years. This type of fire, energy, and raw talent is what pro wrestling has been lacking. That crowd lit up like no other, and Starks proved his value. An unbelievable moment that exceeded all expectations.

Reactions: apriltea
#28 ·
I have been watching the White Lotus Season 2 lately as well. Surprisingly good character writing for an American show (sorry, I watch nothing but British TV now). Some of the actors pull it off so, so well..you can again almost leave the disbelief behind and feel you are watching what these people are like in real life. It is unfortunate that wrestling, which is the same concept of storytelling and acting, cannot get more of this back. Wrestling is a soap opera, and at times it seems like one of the worst ones EVER on TV lately LOL.

#29 ·
I really liked Ricky from the NWA shows I watched when it first began on youtube. He has great natural charisma. If he put on a little mass he could be a main eventer. I actually thought mjf’s promo was pretty weak (it’s the same promo he cuts every time, so if you like that promo you probably lurked it), but Starks knocked it out of the park

#32 ·
I’ll have to rewatch this when I get home; I thought Ricky did good but nothing too outstanding and he seemed stressed out. Granted, it’s also not easy cutting a promo after a match where you’re tired.

But with Page (Ethan), MJF; and Ricky. Good future for AEW on the mic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.