Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Because I’m The Miz and I’m awesome," shouts WWE superstar Mike "The Miz" Mizanin as he holds both arms above his head in 45-degree angle, worship-me-style. He then freezes, microphone in one hand, posing like an inspiring statue - for just a moment - so the crowd can take in his "awesomeness."

At 30 years old, the Cleveland born, ex-reality TV star is flourishing in WWE universe, landing his first cover on WWE Magazine this month and a cover spot on the "WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011" video game. He’s also captain of Team Raw at this Sunday’s "Bragging Rights" pay-per-view event and holds the WWE’s coveted Mr. Money in the Bank contract (which guarantees him a shot at the WWE title).

"How could things get better?" he asks rhetorically.

If you go
♦ What: WWE Monday Night Raw
♦ Where: Resch Center, Ashwaubenon
♦ When: 6:30 p.m. Monday
♦ Tickets: $17 to $62
♦ Phone: 800-895-0071
♦ Online: TicketStar

After years of training in independent wrestling circuits, numerous reality shows and a Chokeslam through a table by The Undertaker (which "The Miz" says is the most painful move he’s ever endured), this wrestling wonder boy is standing atop the wrestling world.
Well, almost.

He’s on the road 200 days a year, works out four days a week and has managed to stay healthy ("Knock on wood," he says), allowing him to capture numerous titles, including the U.S. Championship that he defended (and lost) to the legendary Bret "The Hit Man" Hart.

As WWE Raw slams Green Bay Monday night, "The Miz" and all of his antics will be in full effect; make way for the self-proclaimed "Awesome One."

P-C: You were runner-up on "Tough Enough," but you also worked the independent wrestling circuits; tell me how you truly made the WWE roster.
The Miz: I was on a show called "The Real World" ("Back to New York," 10th season) back in 2001 and, well, I created this character called "The Miz" on "The Real World" just because I was kind of an outcast on the show. (The other Real Worlders) said "The Miz" was my outlet; my rage just ripped apart everyone and so I would just blame it on "The Miz" so I wouldn’t have any repercussions.

And after ("The Real World"), I basically said, "Well now what do I want to do with my life?" And I decided I would try to become a WWE superstar. So I went to an independent school I found on yahoo.com. … It was called Ultimate Pro Wrestling, UPW, down in southern California. I paid my $2,500, moved out to L.A. and started training, still while doing reality shows, hoping I could build enough fame that maybe WWE would come calling while I was out there.

I just kept training and training and training for about three years. I wrestled under ICW, as well as UPW, while doing the reality shows and finally WWE called and said, "Would you like to be on a reality show called the ‘$1,000,000 Tough Enough?’" I said, "Absolutely." Now I didn’t win "Tough Enough" (which would have granted "The Miz" a WWE contract) but I did impress the execs enough that they gave me a developmental contract to go down to Deep South Wrestling, which was their developmental territory at the time. … I went to Deep South for six months, then I went to (Ohio Valley Wrestling), which was their developmental territory at the time as well, and finally I got called up to TV. ("The Miz" has now been signed with the WWE for five years)."

Did you always think you could become a WWE superstar?
The Miz: I think as a kid you look at WWE superstars and you think they’re larger than life. You look at it as more of a dream, a dream that could probably never come true. That’s the way I looked at. I looked at life, like when I was a kid, that after high school you go to college, after college you go back to Cleveland and then you basically get a family and that’s where you live for the rest of your life. However, when I got on "The Real World," I realized I could do anything I put my mind to and that’s when I realized I could become a WWE superstar.

You grew up watching guys like Ultimate Warrior and The Rockers; what was it like to wrestle a legend like Bret Hart in your U.S. Championship match?
The Miz: Incredible. I mean if you think about it, I was his last singles match, so it was pretty cool to actually have Bret Hart’s last singles match. I mean, I really don’t know how to express this more. I used to watch him as a kid, putting sunglasses on kids, and I was like, man, I want to be one of those kids someday. And then there I am in the ring, ripping him apart (laughs) on the microphone and you know, having a wrestling match with Bret "The Hit Man" Hart. It’s incredible. I’ve also wrestled Marty Jannetty! I mean come on! These are like dreams come true for me. I remember being Marty Jannetty and my friend was Shawn Michaels back when we were kids.

Do you think that in 2010 people view you as WWE superstar "The Miz" and not just the wannabe wrestler from "The Real World?"
The Miz: Actually I think I built a reputation that I will work to basically become a main eventer, to be that top talent in the WWE and I think the fans are starting - just starting - to realize that and they’re starting to respect that. I don’t think they look at me as the reality guy anymore. I think I’ve changed their minds, more or less, and I think I’ve done quite a good job at it, actually. ‘Cause two years ago, they just looked at me as some reality wannabe WWE superstar and now they’re looking at me as someone that’s a threat, someone that’s gonna be here for a while, someone that will be the poster child of the WWE someday and the future of WWE.

You already seemed like a natural on the microphone in your "Real World" days. What’s the best promo you’ve ever cut in WWE?
The Miz: It’s funny; people always say, "You were really good at promos." I wasn’t always good at promos. I think "The Real World" and basically doing all the motivational speeches that I’ve done to colleges before I was in the WWE really helped me get comfortable with a crowd. And now it’s just like second nature. As far as my promo, which I think is the best one I’ve ever cut, I hate all my promos. They all suck to be honest with you, That’s just me. I’m a perfectionist, though, and if the promo isn’t perfect and how I wanted it to go, then it literally isn’t good enough for me. … I always want them to be better no matter what.

Are you a heel or a face right now?
The Miz: People like to hate me. I don’t know why. I don’t do anything wrong. So people always think I’m a bad guy, but the thing is, when I look at myself, I don’t sit there and go, "You’re a bad guy." I just say it like it is.

"The Miz" character; is that a shtick or is that really you out there?
The Miz: Pretty much me. I am pretty much a jerk. At all times. You can ask anyone in
L.A. (laughs). Ask anyone who’s ever gone out to a club with me and ask them if I’m a jerk or not. They’ll tell you I am.

You’re originally from Cleveland and you say you’re "awesome." Are there any other awesome people in Cleveland?
The Miz: No. I am the originator of awesome. I mean, LeBron James used to be awesome and now he’s a tool. … And the Browns haven’t done anything in 15 years, so they’re not awesome. Kind of embarrassing, actually.

When can fans expect you to cash in your Money in the Bank contract for that WWE title shot?
The Miz: I like to have the element of surprise. I might do it Oct. 24th at "Bragging Rights" when I lead my Team Raw to victory and maybe become WWE champion. But who knows? It could be at "Bragging Rights," could be in Green Bay, could be at any time. I have no idea when it’s going to happen; it just has to happen when Randy Orton is half dead.

Read more: http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20101021/APC0507/101020083/The-Miz-leads-WWE-Raw-into-the-Resch#ixzz131kQogpH

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20101021/APC0507/101020083/The-Miz-leads-WWE-Raw-into-the-Resch#ixzz130nToQwc

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
It could be at "Bragging Rights," could be in Green Bay, could be at any time. I have no idea when it’s going to happen; it just has to happen when Randy Orton is half dead.
Lol. ..

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I think one of the main reason's why The Miz hates his promos is because he has a ton of restraints put on them as opposed to the promos during the attitude era when wrestlers were able to say pretty much what ever they wanted.

Back in the day wrestlers were given bullet points to work though today they're given scripts to work with that they have to memories before they even go out there. Who wouldn't hate that?

Hell I remember hearing a fan report after a Raw Cena was in a bar drunk to shit complaining to anyone who would listen over how pissed off he was about what a promo that Vince had wrote for him.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
i like that miz thinks his promo's aren't good because he did then it'd make him look like a guy who's full of himself ... he wants to be the best and i'm sure a lot of the guys, specifically the younger guys, look up to that.

always work hard, always improve your craft, and always look to be better and you'll get rewarded with respect.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That seemed to be half-real, half-in-character. I liked how he was humble about his promo abilities. Shows that, though he may be a jerk, he has a head on his shoulders.

Good interview.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
I think this interview proves that Miz isn't as full of himself behind-the-camera as some people make him out to be. He seems to consider himself a constant work-in-progress, specifically when it comes to his ability to cut promos, which alot of wrestlers at this day and age would kill to have.

If anything, it shows that The Miz is confident, instead of arrogant.

·
Registered
661 Posts
As a Miz fan, I've never denied that his character's promos suck and are extremely awkward.

What needs to happen is that we need to give him credit for what he does with the material, it's better than what Otunga, Kidd, or DH Smith can do FOR SURE.

·
Friends Come And Go,Banners Hang Forever
25,684 Posts
Suck on that, Miz fans
^There you have it people, from miz HIMSELF! So there is no denying it.
You guys do realize that players constantly say they need to improve even at things that they already great at? Saying that you're great and having nothing left to learn is not a good attitude at all and Miz improving his promos would just make him better.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
When Miz first came on to SD and started doing his awful "Hoo-Rah!" crap I thought "this guy ain't gonna last 2 weeks".

Well he's proved me and all the haters wrong as he's improved so greatly that now he's a player, and he's got the tools to become a big main eventer IMO.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Suck on that, Miz fans
^There you have it people, from miz HIMSELF! So there is no denying it.
Wow, you mean Miz is humble and self depricates like any normal person who isn't an egotistical jackass :eek:?

If he said "Obviously my promos are the shit and not even Rock or Austin could touch me!" you'd be in here with nerd-rage calling him the most big headed prick in the history of wrestling... basically proving that you come into Miz threads for one sole reason - to diss on the Miz.

Haters gonna hate, as they say :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have a random story about the Miz about 6 years ago. I was driving down Melrose in Hollywood and was stopped at a red light. I had System of a Down's Psycho bumping loud from my car, as I was looking in front of me, I saw Mike and I was like hey Mike (I remembered him from Real World), he stood there and started jamming to the song while playing an air guitar. He then gave me props and the light turned green and I drove off. So I'm not sure what he means by him being an ahole, obviously part of his on going character, but he seemed like a real down to earth cool dude that day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts