Wrestling Forum banner

Mistico signed by WWE (?)

9296 77

Mistico has signed a deal with WWE. There’s been a background talk about Mistico leaving CMLL of late, especially the last week, but nothing anyone was able to definitively confirm until now. I had heard multiple rumors about his destination, but WWE had always seemed the most likely. He’s expected to head to Florida Championship Wrestling, where he’ll join Alex Koslov (and Hijo de Medico Asesino!) as luchadors training for WWE.

Mistico’s last Arena Mexico match was January 18th, the two fall loss in the main event where Porky got mad at Mistico. Mistico worked the two show NJPW tour and has not been in a CMLL ring since. It’s possible he may work a final show or two in CMLL if his Florida commitment doesn’t start right away, but he’s obviously out of the Dos Leyendas plans. Friday’s Averno/Dorada feuding was intended to create a replacement match (or relevos tag partners.)

CMLL almost certainly owns the Mistico gimmick, though WWE would likely given him their own anyway. CMLL probably won’t put someone new in the suit, because they’ve been building Sombra up as the replacement lead tecnico for about 10 months already. Astro Boy, Mistico’s brother, probably won’t be affected only because they barely use him as is.

Mistico likely told CMLL he was leaving in late December, or maybe around when the CMLL/NJPW cards first came out, because it would explain why NJPW announced Mistico as working those cards while CMLL didn’t have him listed. Even though CMLL probably knew he was on his way out, Mistico did beat ***** Casas and Ultimo Guerrero (by DQ) in singles matches during the last month.

Alberto Del Rio’s success was the catalyst for Mistico jumping to WWE. Dos Caras Jr. was never great in CMLL, but has gotten over great in WWE. The line of thinking – and not just for Mistico – is if a guy who never really got over much in Mexico got over that easily in the US, it should be easy for bigger stars to succeed. I’m not sure that’s true – a lot of Alberto’s success is due to WWE deciding he was going to be be a big star, real quick – but it definitely gives Mexican wrestlers more faith in the company compared to how guys like the Mexicools were used.

Hopefully it's not a hoax, but this would mean yet another new top guy for the WWE.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Registered
993 Posts
Seriously, this like the fourth time someone's said Mistico signed with WWE.

· I must away and tend to my ravens
12,225 Posts

· Premium Member
42,229 Posts
Hoooolllllyyyyyyyyy shit.

This guy is the biggest draw in the world outside of the WWE and they just signed him? If this is true this is HUUUUUGE.

IIRC correctly, they tried signing him a couple of years ago and nothing came about it. Rey was pushing for the WWE to get him as he could be the next Rey Mysterio in the eyes of the American fans.

· Registered
419 Posts
I may start watching WWE a LOT more if he's actually signed. This is a huge signing, even if people in America don't really know who he is.

Dos Caras Jr. was a big signing (especially considering he's a heavyweight). This, though, makes it look small in comparison.

· Registered
2,718 Posts
Great signing but I hope they give him some extense microphone training or a mouthpiece because he can't talk for shit.

And Vince McMahon would be a huge moron if he doesn't book a Mistico-Rey Mysterio bout in a big stage like Wrestlemania.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hmmm...I consider Rey Mysterio's success in the WWE as a rather bizarre exception. The WWE seems to be mostly about who's the biggest, and who has the best mic skills. Plus, as Mick Foley points out in his book, a mask, most of the time, is a death knell for a career in the US, which makes Mysterio's success all the more amazing. When he first came to WWE, I expected him to last as long as Ultimo Dragon did.

I'd like to see it happen, but another part of me says they're gonna just give him the Taz treatment, because he's he's not 7 feet tall with long hair. Plus, I doubt his mic skills are gonna be up to snuff for American audiences.

I wish him luck, but I really doubt he's gonna be another Rey Mysterio in that territory.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.