Wrestling Forum banner

Missed opportunity in 1995

2288 8
Recently there has been talk on here of the worst years in wrestling and as always when that topic comes up i will automatically point to 1993 which for large parts was awful and 1995 which outside of anything that Shawn Michaels did was even worse but i have been looking back at some of 1995 on Youtube and Dailymotion today seeing how it has been a long time since i watched anything from back then. What i noticed was that there were a lot of missed opportunities in 1995 which could have made the year a lot better than it was although the booking played a large part rather than just bad wrestling.

For some reason i always liked In Your House 2: The Lumberjacks as a PPV although i couldn't tell you really why as the geniuses in WWE thought it would be a great idea to have Bret Hart and The Undertaker working dark matches for that PPV and outside of the match for the Intercontinental title between Shawn Michaels and Jeff Jarrett the rest of the PPV was awful. So what i did was go from that PPV onwards and i came across a six man tag team match between Shawn Michaels, Diesel and The Undertaker against Yokozuna, The British Bulldog and Owen Hart which is what made me think about the missed opportunities in that year.

This was the match in which the feud between The Undertaker and King Mabel began after King Mabel had come down and attacked The Undertaker after the match whilst Shane Douglas attacked Shawn Michaels and the trio from Camp Cornette laid out Diesel. Now i had no problem with Shane Douglas being involved in that because as a mid carder he couldn't do too bad but i think WWE missed a HUGE opportunity there to push Owen Hart and The British Bulldog as main event wrestler's that year, i don't mean they could have been long term main event wrestler's but at least through until 1997 when others had come through.

Later on in the year we saw Diesel have to feud with King Mabel going into SummerSlam in which was quite possibly the worst feud and match i have ever seen as a top level main event feud but they had already began to make The British Bulldog look credible by that time and if memory serves me right he had pinned Diesel before as well as that six man tag team match. A year before we had seen Owen Hart as the top heel in WWE whilst feuding with his brother Bret Hart over the WWE title and main eventing PPV's together so he was another viable option for main eventing PPV's.

As i said earlier obviously the booking was a major problem at this point in time because they were having The Undertaker and Bret Hart working dark matches on PPV's and this happened more than once but over the course of the year i believe they missed many opportunities to help 1996 be a better year financially. A lot of people put 1996 being a horrible year financially down to Shawn Michaels not being able to draw but the reality was that he was being fed mid card wrestler's that he had beaten the year before a lot of the time and had WWE built people like The British Bulldog and Owen Hart up in 1995 things would have surely turned out better in 1996.

I understand that WWE love to push a monster heel and attempted this with King Mabel by having him feud over the WWE title with Diesel and feud with The Undertaker but after having pushed smaller wrestler's in 1993 and 1994 in the main event scene surely pushing Owen Hart and The British Bulldog up against Diesel or The Undertaker would have been a better way to go and produced better matches. People already knew who Owen Hart and The British Bulldog were as they were fully established in WWE and had been involved in major storylines before whereas King Mabel came from nowhere as he had been a tag team wrestler previously before.

Off the top of my head i can't say for sure but i believe that Owen Hart and The British Bulldog were not even on the card for SummerSlam and after The British Bulldog had actually turned heel by attacking Diesel surely Diesel/Bulldog would have been a million times better an option that Diesel/Mabel. If not that then surely Diesel and Owen Hart would have worked seeing how Owen Hart had worked the main event scene a year before and there had already been interaction between the pair as well, it all just seems as if WWE really had no direction or creativity at all back then and just put people in feuds together for no reason
Reactions: K phabe
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Banned
4,575 Posts
tl;dr

Owen Hart should have won the WWF Championship in 1994-1995. Is that what this thread's about?

· Registered
5,057 Posts
The thing with 1995 was not that they were short on talent, it was just short on direction. It was like Vince was in a rut creatively and that's why it was so awful.

It took a big shake up in how they approached writing their shows and who they aimed them at to turn this around. Yes, there are ways to fix 1995, but they are irrelevant in 2011.

· Banned
4,575 Posts
Somehow, with a roster that included Undertaker, Shawn, Ramon, Bret Hart and many more, Savio Vega and Mabel main evented KOTR.

Fuck this company.
IIRC, Razor was injured at the time, and Diesel/Bigelow vs. Sid/Tatanka main-evented.

· Registered
9,456 Posts
In 1995, WWF had one of the strongest rosters of wrestling talent ever assembled, which included wrestling legends such as Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Sid, Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Jeff Jarett, Bam Bam Bigelow, Sean Waltman, British Bulldog, Lex Luger, Owen Hart, Yokozuna and Bob Backlund. They had established main event stars and midcard talent with the potential to move up to main event status. Even the younger talent that they were bringing in was solid; Hakushi was incredible, for example. The problem wasn't with the talent - it was with the booking. There was no direction at the time and the company was in a bizarre state of flux; they were flogging a dead horse with their crappy cartoon gimmicks but weren't willing to push the envelope and go for the teenage/adult market. As a result they floundered and we ended up with a year or so of totally wasted talent.

If I was booking in 1995, I would've pushed Bam Bam Bigelow as the top heel in the company. I'd have booked him to win the KOTR (beating Undertaker and HBK in the process) and given him the Summerslam main event against Bret Hart. I wouldn't have put the title on Diesel at all, but passed it between Bret, Owen and Bigelow.

· Registered
20,972 Posts
Diesel/Bigelow vs. Sid/Tatanka main-evented.
Tatanka and Bigelow in a main event tells you everything. Especially since Bam Bam mainevented Wrestle Fucking Mania the same year.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tl;dr

Owen Hart should have won the WWF Championship in 1994-1995. Is that what this thread's about?
No it isn't simply about Owen Hart winning the WWE title in between 1994-1995 as i wasn't and still are not overly concerned about Owen Hart not winning the WWE title but he was just one example of what was wrong with WWE in 1995. We saw The British Bulldog have what was at that time a HUGE heel turn by turning on the WWE champion in Diesel but then go nowhere from there and Owen Hart had the biggest year of his career the previous year and was now in a stronger position because of Shawn Michaels was now a face.

This thread is about discussing WWE missing major opportunities in 1995 which could have helped the following year which was such a bad year financially because of how bad 1995 was and then WCW obviously coming out with The New World Order storyline. WWE in 1995 were not even using Bret Hart and The Undertaker on PPV's sometimes as they were working the dark matches despite being two of their biggest stars, can you imagine John Cena and Randy Orton working dark matches in todays era as that is the eqiuvalent.

The thing with 1995 was not that they were short on talent, it was just short on direction. It was like Vince was in a rut creatively and that's why it was so awful.

It took a big shake up in how they approached writing their shows and who they aimed them at to turn this around. Yes, there are ways to fix 1995, but they are irrelevant in 2011.
This is my point and i know that in 2011 it is irrelevant because it isn't going to change the past but these forums are usually full of what if threads that in reality have no impact on what happens today.

In 1995, WWF had one of the strongest rosters of wrestling talent ever assembled, which included wrestling legends such as Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Diesel, Sid, Undertaker, Razor Ramon, Jeff Jarett, Bam Bam Bigelow, Sean Waltman, British Bulldog, Lex Luger, Owen Hart, Yokozuna and Bob Backlund. They had established main event stars and midcard talent with the potential to move up to main event status. Even the younger talent that they were bringing in was solid; Hakushi was incredible, for example. The problem wasn't with the talent - it was with the booking. There was no direction at the time and the company was in a bizarre state of flux; they were flogging a dead horse with their crappy cartoon gimmicks but weren't willing to push the envelope and go for the teenage/adult market. As a result they floundered and we ended up with a year or so of totally wasted talent.

If I was booking in 1995, I would've pushed Bam Bam Bigelow as the top heel in the company. I'd have booked him to win the KOTR (beating Undertaker and HBK in the process) and given him the Summerslam main event against Bret Hart. I wouldn't have put the title on Diesel at all, but passed it between Bret, Owen and Bigelow.
When you look at the roster back then as you have with Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Diesel, Razor Ramon, The Undertaker, Owen Hart, The British Bulldog, Lex Luger for half the year, Bam Bam Bigelow who was a great big man, Sid Vicious for half the year, Sean Waltman and Jeff Jarrett you can see that things shouldn't have been as bad as they were. There was more than enough talent on the roster considering they were working Raw as a one hour show back then to put out a good product but creatively they had no idea at all and at times just threw things together and hoped it would work.

Rather than pushing feuds available to them like Diesel/Bulldog or Undertaker/Owen Hart or furthering Shawn Michaels/Jeff Jarrett they pushed King Mabel or Tatanka as a heel into the main event scene and put out storylines that made no sense. Pushing Bam Bam Bigelow though as top heel wouldn't have worked because he was promised a face run if he put over Lawrence Taylor at WrestleMania 11 and was then given a prominent role at the top of the card which i wasn't against as he was a good worker for his size, as for Diesel he was always going to be a long term WWE champion and had been since the end of the previous year.

One thing again that WWE missed the boat with was the possibility of turning Razor Ramon heel as after probably being the most popular face in the company in 1994 had stagnated a bit in 1995 and would have been a great choice as the top heel in mid 1995. They even had a perfect opportunity to turn him heel when he was feuding with Shawn Michaels going into SummerSlam and were about to have their second Ladder match, at that time Shawn Michaels was getting more and more popular as a face and was arguably the most popular face that year so turning on Shawn Michaels would have seen Razor Ramon become a hated heel instantly but much like many other things in 1995 WWE missed the opportunity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.