Wrestling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Don´t know how much of a one-time cash grab it is. Tyson was on screen backstage for one of their PPVs, was it DoN? They didnt´t even promote his appearance. I doubt they paid for him to be background noise back then. Sure he doesn´t do it for free, but I doubt they invested major money in this for a one-time appearance.

Tyson recently posted a workout video of himself, saying he wants to fight again. I seriously doubt he wants to compete with real heavyweight pros, but maybe there is an angle in this with all these super popular youtube boxers.

If Bob Arum can sell a damn PPV with two of them fighting each others, then seeing Iron Mike Tyson, a boxing legend, beat this piss out of one of these fake pros will probably draw a lot of attention. It will cater to hardcore fight fans (knowing what will happen) and the huge fanbase of that YT fighter. The only downside for AEW would be the chance that Tyson literally kills one of them.

Would McGregor be crazy enough to give away 80 pounds to Tyson? :unsure:

McGregor attacking Tyson at DoN would be mind-blowing. Outside of an Rock appearance, I don´t think they could generate more buzz.
You're living in fantasy land man. The guy won't even promote or mention anything about AEW on Twitter, You really think he's gonna promote his so called come back fight on AEW 🤣.

AEW is still a small company in relative terms and when you pay a guy like Tyson who had some buzz a few weeks ago, you expect him to promote. Or else, don't bother putting him on screen and just have him backstage. Wrestling fans would prefer a wrestling legend to present the belt anyway.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
You're living in fantasy land man. The guy won't even promote or mention anything about AEW on Twitter, You really think he's gonna promote his so called come back fight on AEW 🤣.

AEW is still a small company in relative terms and when you pay a guy like Tyson who had some buzz a few weeks ago, you expect him to promote. Or else, don't bother putting him on screen and just have him backstage. Wrestling fans would prefer a wrestling legend to present the belt anyway.
You say AEW is a wrestling niche product, but you want Tyson to heavily promote his guess enforcer appearance on social media. Who is the target audience then? So promote to whom exactly, since you just said wrestling fans would rather see a wrestling legend. Any Mike Tyson fan going to shell out 20-50 bucks to see him presen a belt?

Mike Tyson: Guys come watch me this Saturday on AEW PPV. I´ll do f*** all and it will only cost you 50 dollars.

Every single person that pays up will likely feel ripped off and hate AEW for it. You realize how stupid that is, right?

Announcing Tyson doesn´t sell any more DoN PPVs. Tyson doing something shocking and surprising will immediately generate a Twitter/Social Media buzz.

Now that is something you CAN promote to draw an audience the following Wednesday. A weekly nationally televised TV show that you can actually to utilize to grow awareness for your brand and wrestlers moreso than a PPV.

As for the rest of the economics. AEW is owned by a billionaire and it´s shows are run nation-wide on the WarnerMedia Network, who also happens to own this small PPV platform. Holy Bloody Ostriches, what´s the name. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Don´t know how much of a one-time cash grab it is. Tyson was on screen backstage for one of their PPVs, was it DoN? They didnt´t even promote his appearance. I doubt they paid for him to be background noise back then. Sure he doesn´t do it for free, but I doubt they invested major money in this for a one-time appearance.

Tyson recently posted a workout video of himself, saying he wants to fight again. I seriously doubt he wants to compete with real heavyweight pros, but maybe there is an angle in this with all these super popular youtube boxers.

If Bob Arum can sell a damn PPV with two of them fighting each others, then seeing Iron Mike Tyson, a boxing legend, beat this piss out of one of these fake pros will probably draw a lot of attention. It will cater to hardcore fight fans (knowing what will happen) and the huge fanbase of that YT fighter. The only downside for AEW would be the chance that Tyson literally kills one of them.

Would McGregor be crazy enough to give away 80 pounds to Tyson? :unsure:

McGregor attacking Tyson at DoN would be mind-blowing. Outside of an Rock appearance, I don´t think they could generate more buzz.
Okay, so first of all Mike himself, his fans and the boxing community don't want to see Tyson return to take on a YouTube fighter. He'd kill them in the first round regardless of if he's in his fifties or not. This guy is one of the greatest power punchers in boxing history, a former World Heavyweight Champion with 50 professional wins and just 6 losses (2 occurred after he left full time boxing). He would kill any normal man, any semi professional fighter and to be honest he could probably beat a large majority of professional fighters as well. The only ones Tyson would lose to would be the guys who are making a real living from fighting and can dedicate their lives to it but I'd say he could kill most guys even on the regional professional level.

Secondly, by McGregor do you mean Connor McGregor? I'm assuming so. Why would they do that on a PPV that will likely not even reach six figures on the buyrate when they could legitimately go on whatever mainstream talk show has the highest ratings and announce it there? A quick Google search says the highest rated TV talk show is the Stephen Colbert show with an average of 3.2 million viewers. I don't know much about the guy but I'd suggest that show or one just like it (Jimmy Kimmel, Conan etc) is where the publicists would be aiming for not AEW Double Or Nothing.

AEW at best is going to get B level celebrities and even then it seems like they haven't even got that. Who is the biggest celebrity that has appeared on an AEW show apart from Mike himself? Maybe Kevin Smith?

Also, on a side note Connor McGregor would probably kill Tyson even if it was just boxing. If Tyson makes a return it'll be against a legend of the sport just like him or it'll be against a young guy with potential that wants the boost. McGregor isn't going to go box Tyson.

You say AEW is a wrestling niche product, but you want Tyson to heavily promote his guess enforcer appearance on social media. Who is the target audience then? So promote to whom exactly, since you just said wrestling fans would rather see a wrestling legend. Any Mike Tyson fan going to shell out 20-50 bucks to see him presen a belt?

Mike Tyson: Guys come watch me this Saturday on AEW PPV. I´ll do f*** all and it will only cost you 50 dollars.

Every single person that pays up will likely feel ripped off and hate AEW for it. You realize how stupid that is, right?

Announcing Tyson doesn´t sell any more DoN PPVs. Tyson doing something shocking and surprising will immediately generate a Twitter/Social Media buzz.

Now that is something you CAN promote to draw an audience the following Wednesday. A weekly nationally televised TV show that you can actually to utilize to grow awareness for your brand and wrestlers moreso than a PPV.

As for the rest of the economics. AEW is owned by a billionaire and it´s shows are run nation-wide on the WarnerMedia Network, who also happens to own this small PPV platform. Holy Bloody Ostriches, what´s the name. :unsure:
I have to actually defend AEW in this situation. I would say Mike Tyson was booked for the PPV well before COVID-19 was even a thing so they'd have had Tyson at the meet and greet, they'd have had Tyson on all the local media, they'd have had Tyson on a big billboard promoting the PPV and many people would've bought a ticket just to see Mike Tyson live and in the flesh. I'm a casual boxing fan at best but Tyson is a draw even for me. I would love to go to a show and cheer him on and would pay AEW relatively decent money to meet the guy for a handshake and a photo.

I don't think his appearance was ever about selling additional PPV units because as you pointed out not even the biggest Tyson fan is going to buy a wrestling PPV that they have no interest in just for the minute or two of Mike Tyson but he creates excitement and would've added to the big Vegas event.

AEW has kind of been stripped of anything they can do to capitalise on Tyson though. The event is no longer in Vegas so the excitement of Tyson being in town isn't there, the event is behind closed doors so they can't sell even one ticket to make a return on Tyson, billboards are pointless, there is no buzz, no meet and greet or anything else. One thing I do think AEW could be doing better is getting Tyson out there in the media talking about the PPV and how people can support it but who knows if that's even possible with what is going on currently? They'll also get the benefit of saying Tyson appeared whatever that is worth to them.

In regards to your suggestion of Mike doing something shocking and surprising of course that's always better but you need to see it from Mike's perspective. He has no emotional attachment to AEW, he has no love for them and they don't really have any love for him either apart from fandom and respect. Tyson is turning up for the money and AEW is booking him because he's well known. That's all it is, Tyson doesn't owe them anything apart from what they agreed upon and he's not going to do them a solid to grow awareness for their brand. He is going to do what is best for him and in this circumstance that is turning up and taking the money.

WarnerMedia don't care about AEW or Mike Tyson they have much bigger fish to fry.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
7,919 Posts

This is the correct answer. At the end of the day, boxing fans are very different from wrestling fans for the most part and are not going to pay $50 for a pre-determined 2 minute segment of Tyson. Could Tyson have tweeted about it once? I think so. But there is no point in him heavily promoting it. He probably would have gotten shit for being involved in “fake” sports. Back in the 90’s it was kinda cool. These days you’re just gonna get blasted as a celeb. Like you said the best thing is to just post the clips of Tyson’s punch segment on ESPN and other sports outlets, which they will undoubtedly do. Then let that be your exposure. It’sMike Tyson, they’re gonna replay the clip like a hundred times. That in itself should draw some people to the product. AEW ABSOLUTELY has to put on a strong post-DON Dynamite though. Scathing promos, strong matches, and debuting dime pieces like Anna Jay for the people who want to watch hot chicks fight.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Okay, so first of all Mike himself, his fans and the boxing community don't want to see Tyson return to take on a YouTube fighter. He'd kill them in the first round regardless of if he's in his fifties or not. This guy is one of the greatest power punchers in boxing history, a former World Heavyweight Champion with 50 professional wins and just 6 losses (2 occurred after he left full time boxing). He would kill any normal man, any semi professional fighter and to be honest he could probably beat a large majority of professional fighters as well.
Nothing would make them happier than to see Tyson knocking out one of these phony YT fighters. They all know what will happen and that´s the reason they´ll pay for it. They feel these YT fighters are disrespecting their profession.

They are not paying to see Mike Tyson fight Anthony Joshua or Tyson Fury. They have already seen Tyson lose to Kevin McBride some 15 years ago. Tyson would not beat a large majority of professional fighters either, just because he delivered a three punch combo to mittens. He´d get beaten by any top 200 heavyweight. He doesn´t have the style or physical parameters to even be a decent old fighter. And Foreman/Holmes were in their mid 40s, not mid 50s.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This is the correct answer. At the end of the day, boxing fans are very different from wrestling fans for the most part and are not going to pay $50 for a pre-determined 2 minute segment of Tyson. Could Tyson have tweeted about it once? I think so. But there is no point in him heavily promoting it. He probably would have gotten shit for being involved in “fake” sports. Back in the 90’s it was kinda cool. These days you’re just gonna get blasted as a celeb. Like you said the best thing is to just post the clips of Tyson’s punch segment on ESPN and other sports outlets, which they will undoubtedly do. Then let that be your exposure. It’sMike Tyson, they’re gonna replay the clip like a hundred times. That in itself should draw some people to the product. AEW ABSOLUTELY has to put on a strong post-DON Dynamite though. Scathing promos, strong matches, and debuting dime pieces like Anna Jay for the people who want to watch hot chicks fight.
With all due respect if you think ESPN are going to play a clip of Mike Tyson at a wrestling show you are mad. WWE struggles to get that kind of attention from the mainstream media so I can't see AEW getting it out there.

At best if Tyson does something cool or funny it might go semi viral and end up being talked about on shows that generally show cool/funny videos but I can't see ESPN airing it once let alone 100 times. My guess will be Mike will turn up, punch a bad guy or two, walk to the back and that'll be it. AEW will get some cool footage that they can have forever, Tyson will get a payday and everyone will be happy.

Also, hypothetically if Tyson punching a wrestler aired on ESPN I don't see that drawing people in anyway.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
7,919 Posts
With all due respect if you think ESPN are going to play a clip of Mike Tyson at a wrestling show you are mad. WWE struggles to get that kind of attention from the mainstream media so I can't see AEW getting it out there.

At best if Tyson does something cool or funny it might go semi viral and end up being talked about on shows that generally show cool/funny videos but I can't see ESPN airing it once let alone 100 times. My guess will be Mike will turn up, punch a bad guy or two, walk to the back and that'll be it. AEW will get some cool footage that they can have forever, Tyson will get a payday and everyone will be happy.

Also, hypothetically if Tyson punching a wrestler aired on ESPN I don't see that drawing people in anyway.
Why wouldn't they? If they interview Mike Tyson of course they will play a clip. WWE has had clips of their stars played plenty of times and they have nowhere near the star power that Tyson has. Even Rob Gronk had his clips played on SportsCenter. The 7 below clips were on live ESPN from lesser stars than Mike Tyson. That and they don't have any live sports right now so they need all the content they can get.

WWE legend Shawn Michaels reflects on 25 years of Raw | SportsCenter | ESPN

WWE champions Becky Lynch and Kofi Kingston in awe after WrestleMania 35 wins | Get Up!

I'm sure there are plenty more. They're not gonna air the whole Cody/Archer match and play a clip of every time the camera dashes back over to him but they will definitely play clips of Mike Tyson's biggest moments. His moment will draw some people in initially, I don't know if they will stay for multiple weeks though, that depends on if they were wrestling fans in the first place. The relationship between wrestling and ESPN has gotten a lot better. Its a segment of "sports" that they can't just pass up as far as ad revenue.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
I don't know if it's true but I've seen a couple of people on Twitter say he thought he agreed to a WWE show and has been trying to get out of the booking. Would make sense considering the complete lack of promotion on his behalf.
Holy shit, that would be hilarious. I always had it in the back of my mind that Tyson could leverage an AEW offer for a WWE one, but if it turned out to be genuine mistake, that's gold.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
People are willing AEW to be what they want it to be. It's so important that it be good that they will actually turn Mike Tyson not promoting his appearance into a good thing somehow. If they had to cut Jericho, Moxley and Jim Ross because their revenue streams dried up, there are some people who would call it smart business and AEW deciding to focus on its homegrown stars, I swear to god.

I understand the impulse. I needed AEW to be good too. That's why I'm so salty that it's not, and it's why fans should probably be more realistic with them, because giving them false positive reads is just going to encourage everything to get further and further away from something that can work, and that is going to give Vince more and more opportunity to double-down.

·
Registered
21,519 Posts
That's some AEW diehards for you in a nutshell. Can't believe what I'm reading.
I don't disagree with the notion that most won't drop $50 for his appearance. But he should still be promoting it regardless. Right now it comes off like he's embarrassed to be there (he's not). But it's a bad look when they're promoting him, but he isn't promoting them.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I don't disagree with the notion that most won't drop $50 for his appearance. But he should still be promoting it regardless. Right now it comes off like he's embarrassed to be there (he's not). But it's a bad look when they're promoting him, but he isn't promoting them.
Right now, there's not much to watch. For a lot of people, $50 is not a lot of money. Former wrestling fans or even sports fans may be curious and buy the show and make a night of it. It won't be significant, but it'd help the company out. But he probably just doesn't care enough which is his right i guess.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
So 10 minutes left and still nothing? I'm not mocking AEW at all, I think it sucks how wrestling promotes people like Tyson, or movies that give nothing back to the business.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So 10 minutes left and still nothing? I'm not mocking AEW at all, I think it sucks how wrestling promotes people like Tyson, or movies that give nothing back to the business.
It's AEW's fault for not having a product he'd want to promote being on, or making it conditional for him to do so. I'd be embarrassed too if I was him, but not embarrassed enough to get paid.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts