Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Not sure Mike Tyson means much in 2020.

When Tyson appeared at 98 Rumble and following night on Raw he was most talked about celebrity on the planet. That was his first proper public appearance in months following biting Holyfields ear.

I can't think of anyone today that has close to the buzz surrounding them that Tyson had in early 98, McGregor doesn't right now.
I have already said your words wrong

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Looks like just a cash grab on Tyson's end. Anyone truly excited about the business and showing up will be making it known.

Shouldn't these stars be forced in their contracts to promote the events heavily so AEW actually gain some value & attention from his appearance.

Instead everyone is talking about him doing charity boxing or even bare knuckle. It's a shambles.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Has Tyson promoted his appearance yet?
Nothing at all on his social media on Instagram and Twitter. But he's been promoting his podcast and WorldMeditationDay.

Why pay the guy to be there if he's not gonna promote and get the attention of his millions of followers 2 days away from event. He's won't be cheap either and it's not like its a special treat for live fans with no crowd.

Tony Khan has a lot of learn. Apparently Mike Tyson is his 'friend'. In what world will Mike Tyson be a friend of a guy like Tony Khan except for the fact that he's the son of a successful billionaire. I imagine they have barely anything in common. Cash grab......

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
I don't know if it's true but I've seen a couple of people on Twitter say he thought he agreed to a WWE show and has been trying to get out of the booking. Would make sense considering the complete lack of promotion on his behalf.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I don't know if it's true but I've seen a couple of people on Twitter say he thought he agreed to a WWE show and has been trying to get out of the booking. Would make sense considering the complete lack of promotion on his behalf.
Hahaha obviously this is BS but funny as hell.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts

the guy was at last year's Double or Nothing.
I know, I'm just repeating what I had seen on Twitter from a few people outside of the business. And in 5 minutes you've done more to promote his appearance than he has. Surely even you has to be wondering why he's not promoting it?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I wonder how well AEW itself has promoted it to the general public. Obviously I'm not living in the States but I haven't seen our Australian media mention it once despite him being big news a few weeks back when he was allegedly going to fight some footballers.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
I wonder how well AEW itself has promoted it to the general public. Obviously I'm not living in the States but I haven't seen our Australian media mention it once despite him being big news a few weeks back when he was allegedly going to fight some footballers.
A few days back. I'm honestly confused by the entire situation. You'd expect him to be posting in the days leading up to it, not just the day before (possibly) to give his fans and AE era fans a chance to book the PPV.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Mike Tyson would have been much better if added in the corner of Moxley. With Brodie's creepers attacking Mox each of the last two weeks, wouldn't it make more sense that Mox brings in a buddy from Vegas to even the odds - and unlike the 10 Brodie needs, Mox only is bringing one.

Tyson knocking out all the creepers would be a spectacle during the match, allow Brodie to be distractd to protect him in his loss to Mox. It would also give Brodie kayfabe impetus to fire the creepers and upgrade them.

If AEW wants the "Sports center moment" you have Tyson standing out at the end of the platform by the ring as waves of creepers come out from the back and get one punched, falling off the stage on both sides into a pile of bodies.

Moxley and Tyson celebrate with the AEW in the ring as the PPV fades to black with Tyson possibly giving Mox the side eye? Or were we seeing things?

But Cody needed Tyson for his newly created TNT TItle tournament finals he's part of, that just so happens to have a personal feud baked into it as well starting out before the TNT title was a thing when Jake Roberts verbally confronted him. Also happens to have a newly debuted Lance Archer who has been destroying all competition, and also upped the ante with Jake putting a snake and thrusting over his knocked out wife. But that needs Mike Tyson.
And somehow people still do not question Cody’s ego. This motherfucker just put himself and the midcard title over Moxley. Makes me wonder if Moxley didn’t throw Cody’s name out there in his post-Revolution media blitz as a way quell Cody’s bullshit before it began.

“Since you have these big plans of promoting yourself over my title, then why don’t you put your reputation up against mine and let’s see who the fans really love, motherfucker!”

I don't think so. This reeks of Cody and his ego that we've only seen come to the forefront since the creation of AEW.

Khan no doubt brokered the deal and probably had the idea of bringing Tyson in but when it came time to decide where to put him I guarantee it was Cody convincing whoever he had to that it was best for business for Tyson to be involved in his feud.

The poster above is right though it makes total sense for Tyson to side with Moxley in this and back him up. Tyson could be the guy standing ringside to prevent The Dark Order from interfering but of course they eventually do. Tyson gives big gigantic punches to all of them as Moxley gets the three count on Brodie Lee and your PPV ends with the baddest man in AEW standing tall with the baddest man on the planet. Plus, your championship looks more important being associated with a pretty big celebrity in Tyson.

If it was Khan outlining all of this then he's worse with the creative than we thought.
This is Cody being Cody. No doubt about it. We all know this has Cody written all over it, even if some of them won’t admit it.

And if it IS Khan, then he really is Jacksonville Dixie just letting his relationship with Cody get in the way of business.

Funny how it is called a „debut“?! He will appear 2-3 times max, if not just for DON.

and copying WWE doesnt seem to be a big problem? And Cody again is the angel, no ego or anything.

at the end I feel bad for Mox, as he is in the same situation as champ as in WWE. Again someone above him with a bigger ego and in a mediocre feud.

I am bashing this thing, because AEW seems not to be able to pull something original and this is just sad.
I’m no Moxley Mark by any stretch of the imagination. I think he can be such a goofball, which isn’t the way you want your world champion acting, and find his matches to be so fucking clunky most of the time.

But in the last month, even I have began to hate the way Cody and Khan have treated him. Or well, treated his world title. They have given Moxley nothing to prop the world title up and keep it prestigious. Jericho had full reign and was made to be a God, but they’ve completely disrespected Moxley’s reign with shit opponent after shit opponent. I mean, after this weekend, Moxley’s best match as champion is likely to still be Frankie fucking Kazarian? Really!? That’s the best you could have done for your world fucking champion!?

I don’t know. Everything in AEW seems to be about Cody, Jericho, and whichever new face is spotted in AEW. They, again likely Cody and Khan who handle most of the men’s stuff, don’t seem to give two shits about storytelling for the rest of the roster.

And before anyone says it, sure, you have The Bucks, Page, and Omega having the best story in wrestling, and yet, the only time you get any progression in that story is via physical storytelling in the ring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, it´s very awful that Tyson is being paid and is doing nothing for the company...not even a mention on twitter...bad choice by AEW as it seems.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Looks like just a cash grab on Tyson's end. Anyone truly excited about the business and showing up will be making it known.

Shouldn't these stars be forced in their contracts to promote the events heavily so AEW actually gain some value & attention from his appearance.

Instead everyone is talking about him doing charity boxing or even bare knuckle. It's a shambles.
Don´t know how much of a one-time cash grab it is. Tyson was on screen backstage for one of their PPVs, was it DoN? They didnt´t even promote his appearance. I doubt they paid for him to be background noise back then. Sure he doesn´t do it for free, but I doubt they invested major money in this for a one-time appearance.

Tyson recently posted a workout video of himself, saying he wants to fight again. I seriously doubt he wants to compete with real heavyweight pros, but maybe there is an angle in this with all these super popular youtube boxers.

If Bob Arum can sell a damn PPV with two of them fighting each others, then seeing Iron Mike Tyson, a boxing legend, beat this piss out of one of these fake pros will probably draw a lot of attention. It will cater to hardcore fight fans (knowing what will happen) and the huge fanbase of that YT fighter. The only downside for AEW would be the chance that Tyson literally kills one of them.

Would McGregor be crazy enough to give away 80 pounds to Tyson? :unsure:

McGregor attacking Tyson at DoN would be mind-blowing. Outside of an Rock appearance, I don´t think they could generate more buzz.

81 - 100 of 158 Posts