Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Maybe Tyson do not want to get physical.
Maybe, but even then I'd still have in Moxley's corner acting as a deterrent. I don't know about you but no matter how brainwashed I was I wouldn't run interference for my cult leader if Mike freakin' Tyson was hanging out at ringside.

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Not sure Mike Tyson means much in 2020.

When Tyson appeared at 98 Rumble and following night on Raw he was most talked about celebrity on the planet. That was his first proper public appearance in months following biting Holyfields ear.

I can't think of anyone today that has close to the buzz surrounding them that Tyson had in early 98, McGregor doesn't right now.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think it's a huge mistake to have a convicted rapist as a presenter. AEW has a lot of goodwill - why alienate their fans (and talent+employees) who are survivors? Rape/sexual abuse is common, and it affects the AEW community as much as any other community. I don't think it's worth it for a cheap pop.
It could be argued that, as it wasn’t a mistake when Mike Tyson appeared at Wrestlemania 14 (it was a huge draw and brought a lot of mainstream attention to the WWF), it won’t be a mistake for AEW either. Besides, Mike’s a totally different person these days - he’s a reformed character now and deserves a second chance. He served his time (25+ years ago) and has changed his outlook on life considerably. He’s still an eccentric dude, but he seems like a humble, good dude these days.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I can't think of anyone today that has close to the buzz surrounding them that Tyson had in early 98, McGregor doesn't right now.
Different times. I would argue that all sport types were bigger in the 90s than today.

In terms of boxing,maybe someone like Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua would be the modern day equivalent on a smaller scale.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
It won't be big at all, it will probably cost them more paying Tyson than they will actually make from his 2 minute segment.

Look at Bret. They paid him to hold up the belt and no one gave 2 shits the next day. That's what will happen here.

No one watches AEW, so they won't be able to capitalise from it. They would be better off throwing 20 million at Conor McGregor.
McGregor would be closer. In 1998, Tyson was a source of controversy and considered a real loose cannon. That’s why his clash with Austin worked. In 2020, he’s a celebrity and movie star. There’s no “edge.” Plus it’s a real George Harrison (“It’s been done”).

·
Registered
11,610 Posts
Different times. I would argue that all sport types were bigger in the 90s than today.

In terms of boxing,maybe someone like Tyson Fury or Anthony Joshua would be the modern day equivalent on a smaller scale.
Like The Wood said the closest is McGregor but McGregor comes off more of an entertainer than a real athlete to many outside mma bubble.

Tyson in 80s and 90s was headline news, McGregor gets occasionally talked about but not as same level as Tyson was and certainly not creating the same type of controversy or anything in same ballpark even.

In reality the closest you could probably get to having Tyson version 98 appear on AEW or WWE tv today would be Trump.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
It's the same as WCW, there's no one today who is as big as the likes of Karl Malone, Dennis Rodman etc.

Who are the bad boys in sports? Because I'm at a loss. You don't really get sports stars who are basically rock stars anymore.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,356 Posts
Is the TNT title supposed to be the midcard belt or the new main championship? Because between the build and attention Cody vs Archer has gotten until now compared to Mox vs Lee, and the fact that TNT title gets Mike Tyson involved (while HW title is infested by the Dork Order), it hella looks like the latter lol
The TNT title was a mistake, I'll take this to my grave

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
He might still to this day be the scariest boxer I've ever seen perform, but this is just such a waste of money. You're telling me the average chubby neckbeard out in the AEW audience knows anything about Tyson? Can they name one single opponent he ever boxed who isn't Spinks?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It's the same as WCW, there's no one today who is as big as the likes of Karl Malone, Dennis Rodman etc.

Who are the bad boys in sports? Because I'm at a loss. You don't really get sports stars who are basically rock stars anymore.
Connor. Masvidal. Fury is a bit too wholesome to be a rockstar type.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
I'm fine with Tyson coming in. He's a big part of wrestling history (even if it is WWE history) and he's obviously a fan of the industry. The training video he released recently made him look like the Mike Tyson of old as well, he certainly hasn't lost it. He's been in the media a lot recently and seems to be putting his name and face on anything and everything at the moment.

My only problem with both WWE and AEW doing this is it seems to me that they promote these people, movies and tv shows but those people, movies and TV shows don't promote them back. Not a single picture on his Instagram, nothing on Twitter and nothing on his Facebook. It's always very one sided.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts

I follow rugby league in my country pretty closely and we have a few bad boys but these days being "bad" means breaking quarantine to go hunting or getting drunk and pissing yourself on someones couch. You're correct in that very few athletes are seen with 4 beautiful blondes surrounding them as they swagger into a club smoking a cigar like Rodman used to have going on.

And even if there was a bad ass athlete what is the likelihood of him wanting to get involved in wrestling in 2020? It was hard enough back then to get celebrities when wrestling was super hot and being watched by tens of millions of people. What chance does it have now?

He might still to this day be the scariest boxer I've ever seen perform, but this is just such a waste of money. You're telling me the average chubby neckbeard out in the AEW audience knows anything about Tyson? Can they name one single opponent he ever boxed who isn't Spinks?
It's to attract new fans in no doubt but I'd agree it's a waste of money because AEW has nothing in place to hook a Mike Tyson fan. A hardcore Mike Tyson fan might buy an AEW PPV to see what Mike does (Personally I would've had him on TV) but AEW has nothing to keep them tuning in week to week. A Mike Tyson fan isn't going to identify with Cody or get really into the likes of Brodie Lee or Matt Hardy.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
MMA fans worship Tyson. Boxing fans obviously care about Tyson. I care. Cody PROBABLY cares. No doubt Tony cares. JR Tony and Jericho probably care. Maybe Moxley. Who else in AEW cares?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
That's the problem, Tyson had Austin in 98 who he was genuinely a big fan of. Austin was a badass and anti-authority, he had a no shits given attitude and it fitted with the times. AEW don't have any bad asses. All they have is a bunch of Liberal geeks and neck beards and before anyone says but but but Moxley, he's not even as badass as Crash Holly.

For Tyson to be involved in Cody's match, who is the most Liberal authoritarian person on the roster, its a shambles.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Funny how it is called a „debut“?! He will appear 2-3 times max, if not just for DON.

and copying WWE doesnt seem to be a big problem? And Cody again is the angel, no ego or anything.

at the end I feel bad for Mox, as he is in the same situation as champ as in WWE. Again someone above him with a bigger ego and in a mediocre feud.

I am bashing this thing, because AEW seems not to be able to pull something original and this is just sad.

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
I follow rugby league in my country pretty closely and we have a few bad boys but these days being "bad" means breaking quarantine to go hunting or getting drunk and pissing yourself on someones couch. You're correct in that very few athletes are seen with 4 beautiful blondes surrounding them as they swagger into a club smoking a cigar like Rodman used to have going on.

And even if there was a bad ass athlete what is the likelihood of him wanting to get involved in wrestling in 2020? It was hard enough back then to get celebrities when wrestling was super hot and being watched by tens of millions of people. What chance does it have now?
Nathan Cleary was seen doing just this.. To record tiktok dances.

Who do you support?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Nathan Cleary was seen doing just this.. To record tiktok dances.

Who do you support?
Admittedly I didn't watch the Tik Tok only saw the preview image on the news but the girls didn't look like the 10's Rodman was recorded getting back in the day but I guess I'd agree that they were attractive enough to catch attention. Cleary doesn't strike me as a bad boy athlete though the dude has only just moved out of his parents house and his dad has been in charge of pretty much the majority of his first grade career. Plus, the Tik Tok situation lead to an immediate apology from him.

As for my team I've been a Roosters fan for about 20 years. How about yourself?

·
Banned
2,795 Posts
Admittedly I didn't watch the Tik Tok only saw the preview image on the news but the girls didn't look like the 10's Rodman was recorded getting back in the day but I guess I'd agree that they were attractive enough to catch attention. Cleary doesn't strike me as a bad boy athlete though the dude has only just moved out of his parents house and his dad has been in charge of pretty much the majority of his first grade career. Plus, the Tik Tok situation lead to an immediate apology from him.

As for my team I've been a Roosters fan for about 20 years. How about yourself?
Yeah I was joking about Cleary. Definitely not a bad boy. The NRL's biggest bad boy is probably David Fifita after his Bali shenanigans. Ohhh the rare Roosters fan! Not many of you around :p I'm a Broncos fan. Loved seeing Daniel Vidot debut the other week.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Yeah I was joking about Cleary. Definitely not a bad boy. The NRL's biggest bad boy is probably David Fifita after his Bali shenanigans. Ohhh the rare Roosters fan! Not many of you around :p I'm a Broncos fan. Loved seeing Daniel Vidot debut the other week.
Yeah David Fifita or maybe Latrell Mitchell who is getting a lot of negative press coming his way especially when he fights back calling people racists.

I'm excited to see how the Broncos do this year. Great young team you guys have that were really exciting to watch before the suspension of the season.

61 - 80 of 158 Posts