Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shocked there was no thread on this. Considering also, Tyson has hinted he wants to do a charity fight soon. This could be a small build toward a match or could be simply just to put over the TNT title.

This brings in good publicity in my opinion. BUT, what are your thoughts on Tyson coming in to AEW??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Is the TNT title supposed to be the midcard belt or the new main championship? Because between the build and attention Cody vs Archer has gotten until now compared to Mox vs Lee, and the fact that TNT title gets Mike Tyson involved (while HW title is infested by the Dork Order), it hella looks like the latter lol

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two questions

1) Why does nobody care that Mike Tyson raped someone?
2) Why is the inaugural TNT title being crowned on a PPV - i.e. not on TNT?
Answers:
1) Seems like you're the only one who cares brotha, noone has brought that up. And also, he's done such a big 360 turnaround for charity etc..hes changed a lot.
2) Actually that is a good question, i guess to boost extra attention to DON?

Iron Mike from this past Monday (May 11th):

Somebody getting knocked the fuck out!
That be sweet. Just to add to the publicity, have him knock some one from AEW out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it's a huge mistake to have a convicted rapist as a presenter. AEW has a lot of goodwill - why alienate their fans (and talent+employees) who are survivors? Rape/sexual abuse is common, and it affects the AEW community as much as any other community. I don't think it's worth it for a cheap pop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some people believe that once you have served your time for your crime(s) then you have paid your debt to society. Punishment is not served in perpetuity.
Well, I'm of the opinion that a convicted rapist is a poor ambassador for AEW (of which I am a huge fan). Others will disagree. Regardless, I can't see how this could do anything but alienate [a good chunk of] AEW fans, especially survivors.

In a 2018 tell-all show, he never even mentioned the rape. As though it never happened:

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,028 Posts
Great move. Mike Tyson has been getting a lot of attention lately, with him teasing a return to boxing lol, especially on his IG, so AEW bringing him in will be sure to give them a spike in ratings. It will also help increase buy rates for the PPV. They need the mainstream attention if they are going to grow as a company. I would have used him for the Brodie/Mox match personally, but I guess having him unveil the TNT title and NOT be involved in hokey Dark Order shit was probably best. He could even have a little interaction with Jake the Snake. I'm looking forward to it. I honestly don't care about his past. That was a long f'n time ago. He still has hundreds of millions of fans that follow him, which is what matters.

·
Premium Member
12,437 Posts
He'll come in, present the title, and then probably punch someone.
i love this lmao.

Great move. Mike Tyson has been getting a lot of attention lately, with him teasing a return to boxing lol, especially on his IG, so AEW bringing him in will be sure to give them a spike in ratings. It will also help increase buy rates for the PPV. They need the mainstream attention if they are going to grow as a company. I would have used him for the Brodie/Mox match personally, but I guess having him unveil the TNT title and NOT be involved in hokey Dark Order shit was probably best. He could even have a little interaction with Jake the Snake. I'm looking forward to it. I honestly don't care about his past. That was a long f'n time ago. He still has hundreds of millions of fans that follow him, which is what matters.
Imagine if he does do this charity boxing match and he brings out the TNT champion with him. Could be fantastic exposure.

·
Registered
21,594 Posts
I mean I'm neutral on it. I don't think it'll bring bad publicity as some think. But I can't say I'm excited either, as we know how the segment will go. It is a nice get for them though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
MJF vs Tyson in a boxing match for charity. Tyson does a fake shoot so that everyone thinks he's beating him up for real, MJF makes a comeback with wrestling moves and then the match ends in a draw like the Rocky 3 Thunderlips match.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,028 Posts
i love this lmao.

Imagine if he does do this charity boxing match and he brings out the TNT champion with him. Could be fantastic exposure.
That would be awesome lol, in the boxing world you always have them coming out with an entourage of celebs and trainers around them so to put Cody/Brandi or Jake/Archer by his side would be a great move, millions of people would be watching

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Get’s people outside the bubble chatting about them, and probably something TNT approve of too. Better than dragging up whatever old wrestling icon is free like WWE with their recycling of the likes of Boogeyman and John Lauranitis. I assume they wanted a huge wrestling star, I actually thought it may have been Sting’s gig but you can’t deny Tyson’s name value to get some media coverage. (Until Cody books himself knocking him out after revving his pick up truck, battle of the awful tattoo’s I guess)

·
Justice 4 Asuka
1,357 Posts
This is a good move on AEWs part. Everyone knows who Mike Tyson is and this should bring a lot of attention to the PPV if they promote the fuck out of it.

I'd have Archer dominate Cody and then beat the shit out of Tyson. Make him a legit unstoppable monster in AEW.

·
Registered
580 Posts
N
Two questions

1) Why does nobody care that Mike Tyson raped someone?
2) Why is the inaugural TNT title being crowned on a PPV - i.e. not on TNT?
I think it's a huge mistake to have a convicted rapist as a presenter. AEW has a lot of goodwill - why alienate their fans (and talent+employees) who are survivors? Rape/sexual abuse is common, and it affects the AEW community as much as any other community. I don't think it's worth it for a cheap pop.
Well, I'm of the opinion that a convicted rapist is a poor ambassador for AEW (of which I am a huge fan). Others will disagree. Regardless, I can't see how this could do anything but alienate [a good chunk of] AEW fans, especially survivors.

In a 2018 tell-all show, he never even mentioned the rape. As though it never happened:
am I missing something here? Bloke has been in wwe tv numerous times since then. He’s in the hall of fame. I don’t see the issue.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts