Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never understood why everyone banged on about how terrible they are, maybe because when you listen to them every week you just become used to it.

Then you watch something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ2mk4RPm7g

They are both so much more passionate than at the moment it is ridiculous. DW makes Taz sound sedated.

Even when RVD debuted they both sounded bored after about thirty seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xwVLQxlOs&feature=related

And that was two bloody years ago, its far worse now than it was even then. I was looking for a better comparison from more recently, but realised that TNA hasn't had a big name debut since RVD to compare it to. That isn't a dig, it is because they have been busy pushing their own/new/non-WWE talent obviously.

I know the crowds aren't ever going to be as hot as they were in 05, but listening to a commentary team who sound like they are about to explode with excitement is great. After Sacrifice I am really psyched about TNA, but thinking about watching impact this week listening to MT and Taz not giving a toss is a bit depressing.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
For me Mike Tenay isn't the problem, he can get into the product and be passionate about it. I thought he did a great job at Sacrifice during the Aries/Bully Ray match really selling the brainbuster and Bully Ray's kick out.

Taz is the problem, the guy just doesn't care about the product at all, he makes terrible jokes and doesn't sell anything that's going on in the ring. I would bring Don West back in a heart beat or I'd throw a load of money at Nigel McGuinness because I think he has been doing a great job in ROH recently

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Go watch Destination X 2011. Tenay and Borash were there. What do you think?

There's even a few matches on Xplosion featuring Borash and Bischoff. Again, what do you think?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Tenay's not great but he's passable. Taz on the other hand is awful. They should replace both though replacing Taz is the priority. There must be 2 guys out there capable of doing a better job.

·
SGT. AT ARMS
18,516 Posts
Could you guys imagine how terrible it would be if Taz and Jerry Lawler became an announce team? Jesus i'd probably put a gun to my head.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I don't hate Tenay and Taz likes other do, but I certainly don't love them either. The problem is Taz clearly doesn't care and tends to drag Tenay down with him. Tenay's a total pro and he shouldn't be going anywhere. Replace Taz with West, Bischoff (I know that's hard to do now) or a totally new guy.

Don't put in Borash though. Tenay & JB are really, really dry and boring together.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Both of them are terrible. Taz was never good and Mike Tenay has cared in years. A broken clock is right two times a day. Tenay and Taz at time are good but they do not trump the terrible times which is a lot. The two MUST go and no more excuses for them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've always said Tazz & Mike as commentators don't work. And I don't know if its a gimmick but they seem to rub eachother up the wrong way, they just seem to argue about everything and it's annoying.

There is no excitement in their voice or anything, now is the down to them? or a crap TNA product?

I've watch Destination-X and Xplosion where Jeremy Borash has been commentating and to be honest, although not as experienced as some, he's pretty good at it.. I think Don West & Jeremy Borash would make for a good commentary team..

However, it's all down to Dixie.. and she won't want to fire Mike cause he's been there since day one..

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Borash and Bischoff as the new A team for Impact ? Yes please.

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
Don West and Jeremy BORash fits TNA cornball type image with the Impact Zone better than Taz and Tenay who is more serious, they would do great in a WWE,New Japan,AAA type promotion.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Go get Tony Schiavone. I don't know why he completely left the business. Yeah, he was no JR but compared to Mike Tenay he is. Schiavone and Don West (heel) would be way better than this.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I've actually met Mike Tenay before he even worked for WCW, and got to talk with him for a few minutes. He is a "what you see is what you get" type person. He's the same in real life as his commentary persona. I agree that he is passable. His knowledge of the sport is top notch, and he has a passion for the business. I don't know who would be better paired with him right now though. It does need to be a former wrestler for the color commentary, but none really come to mind other than Kevin Nash.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I enjoy the duo. They're a HELL of a lot better than the old days of Tenay & West sounding like they're reaching orgasm everytime someone does a fucking over the top rope plancha or something.

I especially hated West's "OH MY GOD, DID YOU SEE THAT?!?!" - No, Don. I didn't. I'm NOT watching the same god damned show that you're watching & currently calling right now. Dumbass.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Schiavone would be my ideal choice.

but personally i wouldnt want to get rid of Tenay or Taz, i like them both, although Tenay more. and i think they should just add a 3rd announcer, either Schiavone, or use Bischoff.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
I can't believe how bad Taz is these days.

He clearly doesn't care anymore and is just collecting a paycheque. You can't blame him for that. It's the company's fault for allowing it to happen.

Mike Tenay is fine, he always has been. But he needs a good colour commentator.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
I can't believe how bad Taz is these days.

He clearly doesn't care anymore and is just collecting a paycheque. You can't blame him for that. It's the company's fault for allowing it to happen.
I thought you talk about Jerry Lawler and the other company.

I like Tenay as commentator. Why he was never hired by WWE is beyond me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts