Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,662 Posts
I wonder if this match ever took place. They we’re both in WCW at the same time. Probably in ECW as well.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I was never crazy about either guy....unless it was Sid in a tag team. Skyscrapers, Masters of the Powerbomb, and Sid & The Kid all ruled. So it's gotta be Sid.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Who would you book to win?

Sid is better in size, charisma, and verbal ability. He's off the charts in the first size, and severely underrated in the mic skills department. Awesome is a better brawler and likely better overall wrestler.

To me, this match goes to Sid in a squash. Closest real life analogy was when Sid (who was still green himself) faced a very green Nightstalker (Brian Clark/Wrath) on that fall 1990 Clash of Champions.

A more interesting fantasy match would be 1991 Sid Vicious vs 2002 Brock Lesnar.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Who would you book to win?

View attachment 93998

View attachment 93999

Sid is better in size, charisma, and verbal ability. He's off the charts in the first size, and severely underrated in the mic skills department. Awesome is a better brawler and likely better overall wrestler.

To me, this match goes to Sid in a squash. Closest real life analogy was when Sid (who was still green himself) faced a very green Nightstalker (Brian Clark/Wrath) on that fall 1990 Clash of Champions.

A more interesting fantasy match would be 1991 Sid Vicious vs 2002 Brock Lesnar.
I agree but it wouldn't be a squash. Awesome could carry Sid to a pretty good match. Better than Kevin Nash could.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I honestly like Awesome here. The guy was a more complete package. Sid was a softball player, cosplaying wrestler. Mike was a wrestler.
Awesome might be suited for today better than Sid...maybe. Sid's workrate was poor and like Luger, he was in the business strictly for the money. He was not a wrestling fan turned wrestler. What he was blessed with was insane athleticism - I remember him doing kipups in 1989 - a unique look, fantastic physique and the work ethic that went into maintaining it, and Jake Roberts/Randy Orton-esque intensity.

Mike Awesome was a better technician, I would say. Not a once in a generation monster like Sid or Lesnar, any more than Adam Bomb was. A decent to good talker. But he didn't have the intensity or look that Sid had. Sid's intangibles were much higher than Awesome. Much higher. Enough that Vince signed him in 1991 thinking he would move into Hogan's position. You just had to be around as a fan then...Sid was an absolute monster and a believable one at that.

Anyway, just my opinion.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,703 Posts
Awesome might be suited for today better than Sid...maybe. Sid's workrate was poor and like Luger, he was in the business strictly for the money. He was not a wrestling fan turned wrestler. What he was blessed with was insane athleticism - I remember him doing kipups in 1989 - a unique look, fantastic physique and the work ethic that went into maintaining it, and Jake Roberts/Randy Orton-esque intensity.

Mike Awesome was a better technician, I would say. Not a once in a generation monster like Sid or Lesnar, any more than Adam Bomb was. A decent to good talker. But he didn't have the intensity or look that Sid had. Sid's intangibles were much higher than Awesome. Much higher. Enough that Vince signed him in 1991 thinking he would move into Hogan's position. You just had to be around as a fan then...Sid was an absolute monster and a believable one at that.

Anyway, just my opinion.
Oh I loved Sid, I was watching when he debuted as Lord Humongous and thought "holy crap".

I just think Mike was so much better in the ring. You maybe right.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I loved both at the time. Awesome as the Career killer and Sid as the master of the universe.

There's a big what If about both of them. Sid was supposed to be the WCW world champion in 1993 and lead the company until the scissors incident with Arn Anderson, which would have meant no Hogan in WCW in 1994 and in late 2000, Mike Awesome was being pushed to be the next world champion in WCW, until they cancelled all plans once the company was going down the drain.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Mike was the better wrestler. But theres a reason Sid mostly main evented his entire carreer and got multiple world titles despite his limitations.
Sid had "it" factor for days. Threatening look, brooding intensity and an overall aura of badass.

Just look at the pic's posted above. Sid looks like hes ready to jump out of the picture and tear you apart. Awesome looks bored.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Agreed. When he wasn't infamously botching his promos like a drunkard his promos were pretty solid and exhilarating. I've noticed Earthquake was a fairly good promo also. Not sure if he gets talked about much in that department.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,703 Posts
Sid was awesome. But he was not into it.

Mike was awesome (no pun intended) and he got terrible gimmicks and just crap booking.

I guess I just prefer guys who "want it"?

I love Sid as I said earlier.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Sid was awesome. But he was not into it.

Mike was awesome (no pun intended) and he got terrible gimmicks and just crap booking.

I guess I just prefer guys who "want it"?

I love Sid as I said earlier.
I'll disagree to an extent. And agree.

Sid didn't want it - as in the title - as his primary concern was to make as much money as possible and be as comfortable as possible doing it (i.e. the less stress the better, preferring what he called the family atmosphere of WCW in 1989-1991 to the political atmosphere of WWF in 1992)

Sid did want it in the fact that he was extremely dedicated - along with a few others like Bob Holly - in keeping himself in the best possible shape and thereby earn the pushes that he was given. While others were recovering from nights of partying, he was habitually getting up very early in the morning and getting his workouts in.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,703 Posts
I'll disagree to an extent. And agree.

Sid didn't want it - as in the title - as his primary concern was to make as much money as possible and be as comfortable as possible doing it (i.e. the less stress the better, preferring what he called the family atmosphere of WCW in 1989-1991 to the political atmosphere of WWF in 1992)

Sid did want it in the fact that he was extremely dedicated - along with a few others like Bob Holly - in keeping himself in the best possible shape and thereby earn the pushes that he was given. While others were recovering from nights of partying, he was habitually getting up very early in the morning and getting his workouts in.
Sid kept himself in shape to knock softballs out of buildings not to wrestle

·
Do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated, Non-D
2,662 Posts
Sid is awesome. Sid also knew when to take off and have a rest.

His intensity was so genuine. I 100% believe that he is a complete lunatic.

Based in that alone, Sid did his job as a wrestler.

Sid’s going over

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mike Awesome had better matches. Sid didn't care at all about match quality. But with everything else about being a pro wrestler, Sid was better.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I wonder if this match ever took place. They we’re both in WCW at the same time. Probably in ECW as well.
They weren't in ECW at the same time. Awesome disappeared during the summer of 1998 and didn't resurface until Anarchy Rulz in September 1999. Sid showed up at Guilty As Charged in January of 1999 as a surprise guest but ended up leaving for WCW right after Hardcore Heaven, thanks to Paul's famous reputation for not wanting to pay people.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts