Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
289 Posts
Um...what? How about main-eventing a WrestleMania, winning the WWE Championship, and so on? Curt was great, but pretending like he was absolutely the biggest star he possibly could have been simply ignores history. That's like saying that, since Scott Hall was awesome and accomplished a lot, he couldn't have been any bigger than he was. Of course that's not true.
Main eventing Wrestlemania and winning WWE title doesn't necessarily make you a big star.

Scott Hall launching the nWo angle made him a much bigger deal than Miz retaining the WWE championship in the main event of Wrestlemania

·
The Babyface of WF
13,683 Posts
Mr Perfect and Rick Rude deserve that credit with no arguments if they were good enough at a better time then the rest speaks for itself.

Underrated mention would be Elijah Burke he was more well rounded than people give him credit for.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Chris Masters can still be a star. I would not be apposed to him suddenly just appearing in NXT one day and feuding with Killer Kross like he would in the Indies. During the end of his run in WWE, he lost some size, still looked great but it helped him improve his in ring skills, he was legit good in the ring if you watch some of his later matches as a face, I was really surprised and impressed his selling.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Another I would like to nominate would be Paul London. He certainly had his fans at the time and he could go very well. He put on great matches in the Cruiserweight Division and later in the tag team with both Billy Kidman and Brian Kendrick. Of course, he was too small. Had he arrived 15 years later, he would have had a decent shot at the actual mid-card to lower main event scene. Bearing in mind as well that the peak of his career happened around the time that a young AJ Styles and younger Christopher Daniels were wowing people in the X-Division and Gregory Helms was capitalising on this sudden movement as a serious competitor in the Cruiserweight Division (when Smackdown was severely light on stars too), it was not until the time of Daniel Bryan and CM Punk that smaller indy type stars were taken seriously.

I actually remember being on a Wrestling forum in the early/mid 2000's (The Wrestling Channel I think), where there was a young kid that would always post in his defence - to an amused group of older posters. I have to say, that I saw his argument and in hindsight, he was correct that Paul London had potential. Alas, politics...

·
Premium Member
9,432 Posts
The Hurricane would be my pick. Great in the ring, good promos and character work, plus super heroes are top of the entertainment world now.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Brian Pillman is a great pick, but I could also see Pillman being bigger in the Attitude Era if he didn't have that injury and of course that other issue obviously.

He would have been an easy top rival to the huge star of Austin. Then again, are we to take into account a physically superior "Flyin Brian" under his WWE persona? He would easily be up there.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ya’ll wanna know who that kid was?

I’ll tell ya a story.

Tulsa ‘83 backstage with Crockett in Mid South, I’d finished puttin’ Muraco over 2nd match in but stayed till the end cuz ya’ll know the sh*t we used to get up to. I weren’t no drugs/booze guy I preferred cards. Anyway i’m doin’ the job to Harley at the poker table so go Gorilla to talk with Jim. This kid comes through the curtain and ya’ll know the code, ya gotta shake grubby hands with cats who ain’t wash ‘em after a sh*t. So the kid’s shakin’ hands thankin’ the agent (musta been Bruno back then), shakes Jim’s hand but the f*cker walks right past me. Now i ain’ no mark and was nobody in the business but it was a code man, earn your stripes and respect the boys. Anyway I walk up to the kid and he’s starin’ at me with those beedy eyes, looks me up n down and damn near walks away.

I’m hot now, real hot, this punk ass kid brushed me off like I was nobody, which I was but that ain’ the point. I go back to the kid, grab his arm and he goes to me “listen ol’ timer, i ain’ gotta shake your damn jobber run of the mill hand cuz I’m workin’ with Harley now n you’re workin’ dark”. Goddam I thought he was cuttin’ a damn promo it was so damn corny. Orndoff walked past and gave me that stare, man Orndoff’s stare was legit. Anyway, I grab the kid, put him up against the wall and he goes for a right hand, I grab it and with a tear in my eye Iocked in a tight ass standin’ shoot kimura, lowered my hips, got that f*cker to the floor and snapped his damn arm.
Harley’s pullin’ me off and Orndoff’s damn near chokin’ me out but I kept that sucker hooked in to make a damn statement.

I let go, walk up to Crockett and told him to pick his boy up the floor and he asks me why? I told him about the disrespect, Jim’s chewin’ on his cigar and I’m thinkin’ I’m done here man. But he looks at me, puts his big ass hand on my shoulder and tells me I did the right thing for the business, shook my bloody hand after the kid kept tryna bite his way outta the kimura, and now he’s gotta find someone to work with Harley.

I had the respect of the boys, and worked a small loop with Harley workin’ the 3rd match. Didn’t draw a dime and Crockett sent my ass back to caterin’ after, but i’ll be damned if someone disrespects the business I gave my life to and since then, there ain’ ever been a missed handshake in the business.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Vampiro, Raven, Pillman to name a few. Sinister original Doink. Crush as a heel who didn't switch gimmicks once a fortnight. Waylon Mercy if he still had knees. Rick Rude is an obvious one as well.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,942 Posts
Anyone can be a 'Star' thesedays. In regards to talent and/or appeal. Just suck some McMahon dong backstage and they'll push you to the moon no matter how boring and lazy you are.

The dullest midcarder of the Attitude Era has more charisma and personality than the Main Eventers of today.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,108 Posts
If Ziggler came around today instead of back in 08, he'd be a constant main eventer.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
No chance in hell would William Regal be big star in todays subpar era. Just not a chance. He just doesn't have anywhere near the look or promo ability Vince wants.

·
Premium Member
44,310 Posts
Honestly, Mr. Perfect, Rick Rude, and even Tito Santana are way cooler than people who have won world titles in the last 15 years.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Raven, Chris Jericho, Curt Hennig, Billy Gunn, Scott Hall, Rick Rude, Kerry Von Erich, Ricky Steamboat, Barry Windham, British Bulldog, Magnificent Muraco, Steve Blackman.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,942 Posts
No chance in hell would William Regal be big star in todays subpar era. Just not a chance. He just doesn't have anywhere near the look or promo ability Vince wants.
The look Vince wants thesedays is beard + greasy hair. And Regals promo ability is too good to be a Main Eventer thesedays.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts