Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
That's fine, but irrelevant. Taking Hennig as an example, I'm not arguing he SHOULD have been a world champion, but he's undeniably someone who'd likely thrive if he came around today. See how those aren't the same thing?
He would maybe thrive yes, but he wouldn't be a bigger star, which is the whole point.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
It's not necessarily an issue of renown it's more a what the ceiling of their booking potential would be NOW as opposed to then. A guy like Curt Hennig or a Scott Hall who are guys who were damn close to being "five-tool players"(if they weren't exactly that) now that they would so clearly stand far above most if not all of the current crop of talent and don't have the untouchables like Hogan Austin Rock Flair etc to compete with.
Different times and all that. I think today's crowd would rip in to Curts old school image, say his "perfect" skits were lame and boring. Same goes for Hall, they would say he's greasy and dirty looking, his scarface impression is lame blah blah blah.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
He would maybe thrive yes, but he wouldn't be a bigger star, which is the whole point.
Well in the current state of the business nobody is a "star" of any notable measure. So it's more than likely that the OP meant who would thrive more form a booking potential perspective as opposed to outright "fame" in the current climate and guys like Hall or Hennig(who achieved considerable renown in their careers) would stand head, shoulders, knees, and toes above the rest of the pack that their hypothetical booking potential would be much higher than it was in their day.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Bad news brown comes to mind. Way ahead of his time in regards to ring work and character.

Bam Bam Bigelow would definately have been a top card heel in 2020. Agile big men are much more appreciated now a days.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Different times and all that. I think today's crowd would rip in to Curts old school image, say his "perfect" skits were lame and boring. Same goes for Hall, they would say he's greasy and dirty looking, his scarface impression is lame blah blah blah.
Whatever you say, boss. Though it's worth noting that I was referring to the intangibles that each man possessed as a performer. Whether or not their gimmick would work now is irrelevant. Hall didn't look any greasier than Rollins, Ali, Drew, or Styles do right now. In fact, if you take a look at their respective headshots you'd assume that Hall was their hero. Chest hair? Check, Facial hair? Check. Long hair? Check. It's like they looked at a picture of Scott Hall and said I should do that for a look.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
So it's more than likely that the OP meant who would thrive more form a booking potential perspective as opposed to outright "fame".
I think the OP asked who would be a bigger star in today's climate. Neither Scott Hall or Curt Hennig would be bigger stars. You're talking about guys like Jerry Lynn or Tajiri who would be multiple time NXT champions.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I think the OP asked who would be a bigger star in today's climate. Neither Scott Hall or Curt Hennig would be bigger stars. You're talking about guys like Jerry Lynn or Tajiri who would be multiple time NXT champions.
Did you even read the OP's post? Or did you just read the thread's title?

Also, NOBODY from a more successful era would be a bigger "star"(if we're talking fame) in today's climate. Wrestling isn't in the collective consciousness of the public the way it used to be.

I’ll start, Chris Masters in 2006. He would be a main eventer in today’s WWE I think. He was competing with the likes of Cena, Batista, DX, Taker, etc, back then so was a small fish in a big pond, but with his look and him actually be decent in the ring, I could see Vince pushing him to the moon today.
Clearly from his post, he is referencing booking potential and not fame.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Did you even read the OP's post? Or did you just read the thread's title?

Clearly from his post, he is referencing booking potential and not fame.
Yeah clearly from his post he mentioned somebody who was a nobody who would be much bigger today. Not somebody who was a world renowned A-list wrestling superstar.

He's talking about guys like Al Snow and Billy Kidman, not Scott Hall and Curt Hennig.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I’ll tell ya a story.

Tulsa ‘83 backstage with Crockett in Mid South, I’d finished puttin’ Muraco over 2nd match in but stayed till the end cuz ya’ll know the sh*t we used to get up to. I weren’t no drugs/booze guy I preferred cards. Anyway i’m doin’ the job to Harley at the poker table so go Gorilla to talk with Jim. This kid comes through the curtain and ya’ll know the code, ya gotta shake grubby hands with cats who ain’t wash ‘em after a sh*t. So the kid’s shakin’ hands thankin’ the agent (musta been Bruno back then), shakes Jim’s hand but the f*cker walks right past me. Now i ain’ no mark and was nobody in the business but it was a code man, earn your stripes and respect the boys. Anyway I walk up to the kid and he’s starin’ at me with those beedy eyes, looks me up n down and damn near walks away.

I’m hot now, real hot, this punk ass kid brushed me off like I was nobody, which I was but that ain’ the point. I go back to the kid, grab his arm and he goes to me “listen ol’ timer, i ain’ gotta shake your damn jobber run of the mill hand cuz I’m workin’ with Harley now n you’re workin’ dark”. Goddam I thought he was cuttin’ a damn promo it was so damn corny. Orndoff walked past and gave me that stare, man Orndoff’s stare was legit. Anyway, I grab the kid, put him up against the wall and he goes for a right hand, I grab it and with a tear in my eye Iocked in a tight ass standin’ shoot kimura, lowered my hips, got that f*cker to the floor and snapped his damn arm.
Harley’s pullin’ me off and Orndoff’s damn near chokin’ me out but I kept that sucker hooked in to make a damn statement.

I let go, walk up to Crockett and told him to pick his boy up the floor and he asks me why? I told him about the disrespect, Jim’s chewin’ on his cigar and I’m thinkin’ I’m done here man. But he looks at me, puts his big ass hand on my shoulder and tells me I did the right thing for the business, shook my bloody hand after the kid kept tryna bite his way outta the kimura, and now he’s gotta find someone to work with Harley.

I had the respect of the boys, and worked a small loop with Harley workin’ the 3rd match. Didn’t draw a dime and Crockett sent my ass back to caterin’ after, but i’ll be damned if someone disrespects the business I gave my life to and since then, there ain’ ever been a missed handshake in the business.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Kurgan. He was a monster, and is a damn fine actor.

Based on his acting credentials alone I think he could be in the semi-main event of any PPV including Wrestlemania.
How skilled was he in the ring compared to Great Khali though? They both seemed to be at the same level. But hey since Khali had the belt at one point Kurrgan could've had a brief run i'm sure. Today though I'm not sure he'd fare well. I even think a poor in ring worker like Braun got lucky to be champ because there weren't many options available to replace Roman.

As for the question Shamrock, Bam Bam and Ravishing Rick Rude come to mind. If guys like Del Rio, Swagger and Kevin Owens can hold a world title, hell, nearly anyone from previous eras is a potential contender. I'll throw Dino Bravo in there too.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

Nathan Jones that guy was a absolute tank. He’d tower over the stars of today and excel because of that. 2002-2003 was WWE’s land of giants and mega stars. It was hard for him to shine during that era.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I’ll start, Chris Masters in 2006. He would be a main eventer in today’s WWE I think. He was competing with the likes of Cena, Batista, DX, Taker, etc, back then so was a small fish in a big pond, but with his look and him actually be decent in the ring, I could see Vince pushing him to the moon today.
Kinda weird that he is a guy from another era yet the same age as his modern version Tino Sabbatelli

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Brian Pillman - Midcarder in WCW, a top star today

Rick Rude - An upper midcarder in the 1980s who'd be a top star in today's WWE

Paul Roma - off the charts athleticism in 1980s WWF, natural heel. Held back by height

Tom Magee - He'd get the training he needed in NXT

The Genius - Great athletic skills, but held back by his look

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
2007 MVP, Mr Kennedy, Carlito would be all main eventers.

In fact, something tells me Mr Kennedy would be the FOTC.

Test would be an instant main event guy as well.

·
Queen of all Galaxies
4,105 Posts
Waylon Mercy. Good gimmick, good promo, good look and charismatic. He would've probably been a big star back then if he didn't have to retire, even though he was 42 when he embraced the gimmick.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts

I immediately thought of Test. Look at the two top Champs in WWE, they're basically carbon copies of him physical wise. He was an absolute huge brick shithouse of a guy who IMO could work, with a great moveset. Plus his simple big boot finisher was devastating and believable, very similar to the Claymore.

Only thing is he couldn't talk, but that hardly holds the big guys back in today's era.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Ideally, you wouldn't have a 1988 or 1992 presentation of a Mr. Perfect or Razor Ramon. Both would be subjected to more sophisticated vignettes to introduce them - ideally - to introduce a 2020 version of the characters to make them work. Take Battlestar Galactica. The 1978 version if presented now would be viewed as kitschy, the 2000s version would be seen as pretty cool.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts