Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start, Chris Masters in 2006. He would be a main eventer in today’s WWE I think. He was competing with the likes of Cena, Batista, DX, Taker, etc, back then so was a small fish in a big pond, but with his look and him actually be decent in the ring, I could see Vince pushing him to the moon today.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Billy Gunn would probably have managed better in this era. To be fair, people were calling for a proper push for him at the time too. In a world of Austins and Rocks, Billy Gunn just wasn't quite enough at the time.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
If the Warlord was in his prime today, he'd probably have the title. You know how Vince loves big guys lol.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
The obvious ones like Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, and Regal come to mind but who really knows who could/would succeed to a higher level if they were around today? I can say that in a world without the guys like Hogan and Savage or Austin and The Rock that there would likely be more opportunities for guys that didn't get many or a truly fair shake. That said as much as we all believe we know what Vince is interested in pushing or who would indeed succeed or fit further up the card today it's an inexact science at the best of times.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,115 Posts
The obvious ones like Curt Hennig, Owen Hart, and Regal come to mind but who really knows who could/would succeed to a higher level if they were around today? I can say that in a world without the guys like Hogan and Savage or Austin and The Rock that there would likely be more opportunities for guys that didn't get many or a truly fair shake. That said as much as we all believe we know what Vince is interested in pushing or who would indeed succeed or fit further up the card today it's an inexact science at the best of times.
I actually don't think Owen or Regal would rise much higher than they did; Regal didn't really have the look of a top star (in Vince's mind), and Owen couldn't really cut much of a promo.

That said, you're right. It's a highly inexact science. Hell, for all we know, Davey Boy Smith would be a multi-time world champion in 2020.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
I actually don't think Owen or Regal would rise much higher than they did; Regal didn't really have the look of a top star (in Vince's mind), and Owen couldn't really cut much of a promo.

That said, you're right. It's a highly inexact science. Hell, for all we know, Davey Boy Smith would be a multi-time world champion in 2020.
People in both WCW and WWE didn't think Steve Austin would/could get over. The right confluence of events and the world can change. Most wrestlers have some critical flaw that stops them from being the "next" Hogan, Austin, or Rock.

WWE has at times and does still occasionally venture down a path of having guys who aren't what people readily equate as "Vince guys" at the top of the card. Bret, HBK, CM Punk. Guys get over and maybe Vince sees a little money to be made or the culture of the business is changing and boom into the top slots they go. In this current era where there is nobody who is even close to being a Hogan, Austin or Rock damn near anyone can be a potentially viable hand at the top of the card. Whether you're a big monster looking fucker who can't work or cut a promo like Strowman, a fat tattooed, hobo looking fucker in a clown mask who can't work but can occasionally cut a good promo like Bray Wyatt, and everything and everybody in between.

·
4,115 Posts
People in both WCW and WWE didn't think Steve Austin would/could get over. The right confluence of events and the world can change.
Oh, without a doubt, and I'm not knocking Regal or Owen as I'm a fan of both. And honestly, who knows how Regal's big push in 2008 would have worked out if he hadn't derailed it?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
People in both WCW and WWE didn't think Steve Austin would/could get over. The right confluence of events and the world can change.
That's not true. Ric Flair wanted to pass the torch down to Austin. He was actually being primed to be WCW world champion before Hogan and crew arrived.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Well, WWE would want someone handsome who can talk and also have good matches and maybe throw in a little flippy shit to make the neckbeards happy. Who fits that bill?

Pin by Bryant W. on Wrestling | Wrestling superstars, Wwf superstars,  Wrestling wwe
How could Mr Perfect be any bigger than he was, he's one of the most well known wrestlers world wide from the late 80's/ early 90's. He held belts in the AWA, WWF and WCW and has a lasting legacy as one of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time.

·
it's a tarp!
5,578 Posts
Kurgan. He was a monster, and is a damn fine actor.

Based on his acting credentials alone I think he could be in the semi-main event of any PPV including Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
The only name that comes to me for this is William Regal.

Such a ludicrously amazing talent but spent most of his WWE time as a total joke, until NXT at least.

·
4,115 Posts
How could Mr Perfect be any bigger than he was, he's one of the most well known wrestlers world wide from the late 80's/ early 90's. He held belts in the AWA, WWF and WCW and has a lasting legacy as one of the greatest technical wrestlers of all time.
Um...what? How about main-eventing a WrestleMania, winning the WWE Championship, and so on? Curt was great, but pretending like he was absolutely the biggest star he possibly could have been simply ignores history. That's like saying that, since Scott Hall was awesome and accomplished a lot, he couldn't have been any bigger than he was. Of course that's not true.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
People often bring this issue up and make out guys were underused or buried in the midcard and say they would be better off now, but they fail to realise times are different. The rosters used to be stacked from bottom to top of big personalities and huge characters who were all well known to the mass public, even the lower card guys were essentially rock stars and they were fine with this, they didn't feel like they were buried, they were doing what was right for business and their bottom line and even the lowest card guys back then are still better known than what we consider to be top guys now.

·
4,115 Posts
People often bring this issue up and make out guys were underused or buried in the midcard and say they would be better off now, but they fail to realise times are different. The rosters used to be stacked from bottom to top of big personalities and huge characters who were all well known to the mass public, even the lower card guys were essentially rock stars and they were fine with this, they didn't feel like they were buried, they were doing what was right for business and their bottom line and even the lowest card guys back then are still better known than what we consider to be top guys now.
That's fine, but irrelevant. Taking Hennig as an example, I'm not arguing he SHOULD have been a world champion, but he's undeniably someone who'd likely thrive if he came around today. See how those aren't the same thing?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Um...what? How about main-eventing a WrestleMania, winning the WWE Championship, and so on? Curt was great, but pretending like he was absolutely the biggest star he possibly could have been simply ignores history. That's like saying that, since Scott Hall was awesome and accomplished a lot, he couldn't have been any bigger than he was. Of course that's not true.
Scott Hall never wanted to be the top guy, some guys were perfectly content without that burden around their waists.

Would Curt headlining Wrestlemania actually have made him a bigger star? I don't think it would have made a difference. Would him holding the world title have made a difference. Nope. The only thing which could have made him bigger is perhaps winning the Royal Rumble, but even then, he wasn't a bigger star than Hogan or Savage.

It's a bit like Jake Roberts, he's well known worldwide, would holding the world title have made him bigger. Nope.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
It's not necessarily an issue of renown it's more a what the ceiling of their booking potential would be NOW as opposed to then. A guy like Curt Hennig or a Scott Hall who are guys who were damn close to being "five-tool players"(if they weren't exactly that) now that they would so clearly stand far above most if not all of the current crop of talent and don't have the untouchables like Hogan Austin Rock Flair etc to compete with.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts