Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not since Austin-Rock feud has the mid-card title had any real meaning. The United States title had meaning once, but now it has slowly become just a prop for show. Something got me thinking on what possibly could be done to give fans the notion that a mid-card title has a very strong importance to any superstar that holds it.

I came up with some ideas for both of these titles for their respective shows. We often forget that the IC/US title(s) are the second highest ranking belt on their respective shows. Most forget because the champion of either title doesn't have to be the second most popular star on the show.

There needs to be something done about how a mid card title holder shall be rewarded for successful title defenses, and length of title reign. For example if the title holder can retain their respective title for more than 4 months prior to the Royal Rumble they get an auotmatic entrance at 25. Perhaps MITB PPV is coming up, then the title holder of the respective show gets in automatically to the MITB. Maybe after one full year the title holder(s) of the mid card title(s) could be granted a world title shot from their shows champion. Please feel free to add any more concepts or ideas.

The ideas that I came up with all push towards a world title. This is what keeps the title famed. If you can give it a push creatively people may take it more seriously. Having the mid card titles set up a world title shot is a great way to keep the title interesting.

·
The Winds of Change
5,627 Posts
All that needs to be done is use the belts to actually build stars - simple as that. The stars of tomorrow should be in the IC/US Title picture now, and continuously defending their belts in interesting feuds. Miz/Bryan was one of the best mid card belt storylines I had seen in an extremely long time, and it really felt great to see. WWE needs to go back to the time when not only was the belt the object of a feud, but both men hated eachother...and thus the belt became what made them "better" than the person they were feuding with.

I also think something that has discredited the value of the IC and US Titles is the lack of mid-card stables...and really just stables in general. A mid card stable's leader could hold the IC Title and feud with the leader of another mid card stable, and that instantly builds a story around them...and in turn build interest in the feud. Just look at Triple H with DX and The Rock with The Nation back in 1998. Putting somewhat of a larger responsibility on a budding star, by making him the IC or US Champion and also the leader of a stable could bring a lot more interest to the mid card title picture.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Extended title reigns with at least monthly title defenses would help more. That's why, as much as I don't really like the Miz, I was mad that they took the belt off him and put in on Hart for no reason, only to put it back on Miz. Miz would've had nearly a year long reign when Bryan won the title, which would have made it all the more meaningful.

Just think of the ECW Television Title. It was a pretty unimportant belt (save for Snuka's reign), but then Shane Douglas held it for almost a year. When Taz beat him, it was pretty epic. Then Taz went to hold it for about 10 months, so when Bam Bam beat him, that was a big deal. By the time RVD was at 18 months straight of successful defenses, everyone wanted to be the guy that beat him. (No one ever did).

That's how you get a mid-card title over.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Dare I say Honky Tonk Man? The man wasn't a brilliant worker, I'd say he was great on the Mike cos he was a heel and BY GOD I HATED him, He had the Longest IC champ, right? ANd in a period when it was highly desired.
So the key is a guy who can wrestle frequently,has Mic skills, can draw heat(Negative or positive),can elevate a decent worker to good match, can step up to the main event to bridge the gap
I present to you C M PUNK, LONGEST reigning IC champ ever...
Would that work

1 - 4 of 4 Posts