Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, most of you are probably wondering what this is about, and what I mean by the title is that in my honest opinion I am enjoying the mid card wrestling better than the main event wrestling. When I say this I mean the actual wrestling, not the storylines, those are pretty basic, and sort of pathetic, but the in ring ability they produce is more exciting.

This was all brought on to me by a friend of mine, generic wrestling fan, non-IWC/YWC member, casual watcher for longer than me. He told me that in his eyes, he likes the mid card/intercontinental/US Title bouts better than WWF/WWE Title bouts. He'd rather see high flying action than some kicks, punches and slams. I just sat back and listened to him, and that made me think. I decided to take what he told me and see if he made a good point, and after researching, I did.

I found that I'd rather watch someone moonsault off of the top turnbuckle and knock someone to the floor than a pile driver in the middle of the ring. I'd rather watch a 619 than a pedigree. The 619 reference for the fact that it takes a load of strength and skill to do, as you must sprint, and then launch yourself into the man, where as the pedigree you just fall to your knees after a jump.

Now, I know you might think I'm crazy for saying this, but think about this. Would you rather see Shawn Michaels vs. Batista per say for the WWE Title, or Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon for the intercontinental title? Edge vs. Christian nowadays, or Edge vs. Christian ten years ago? It all comes together.

Basically the mid card is one of the only reasons I watch nowadays, as the Main Event storylines/ring abilities aren't what they could be. Intercontinental/United States Title feuds need more of a storyline than a number one contenders match, the match and then repeat. I'd like to see main event storylines for midcarders. Like Kofi/Ziggler has a lot of potential, as does Bryan/Debiase, but I think they are being used wrong storyline wise!

I'm curious for your opinions on this.

Thanks for reading and Happy Holidays,
TeaZy

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I like the midcard right now..

but all of that would go away if WWE were to ever get rid of the brand split.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd prefer a Randy Orton match over most other main eventers as he isn't really a "Heavyweight" guy. Batista, Triple H, John Cena, all of those guys are boring in my opinion, other main eventers like Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton and Edge are still pretty fun to watch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was a magical time when the best wrestlers were *actually* main-eventers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I found that I'd rather watch someone moonsault off of the top turnbuckle and knock someone to the floor than a pile driver in the middle of the ring. I'd rather watch a 619 than a pedigree. The 619 reference for the fact that it takes a load of strength and skill to do, as you must sprint, and then launch yourself into the man, where as the pedigree you just fall to your knees after a jump.
I'd rather watch an elegantly executed tombstone piledriver than any of these, but that's just my opinion.

The 619 maybe flashy but I cringe each time I see someone lose a match to that; gotta be one of the hardest finishers to sell I believe. For any kid wondering if WWE is real, watching Alberto Del Rio play dead on a soft rap to his face from a size 6 boot is a moment of realization.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I agree, but hasn't midcard wrestling traditionally been better than main event wrestling overall? I mean, go back to WM 3, with Hogan Andre for the WWF Title and Steamboat/Savage for the IC Title. It seems like the main event feuds are based more around personality, while the midcard is primarily for wrestling skill.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree, but hasn't midcard wrestling traditionally been better than main event wrestling overall? I mean, go back to WM 3, with Hogan Andre for the WWF Title and Steamboat/Savage for the IC Title. It seems like the main event feuds are based more around personality, while the midcard is primarily for wrestling skill.
THIS

That is very true. While it is not unusual to see a midcarder who possess greater wrestling skills than a ME-er, it is uncommon to see a mid-carder who draws more or has a personality/character that has been developed better than his ME counterpart. If that were true, he wouldn't be a midcarder any longer, would he? :confused:

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
How long have you been watching Wrestling? (that's not an attack by the way, real question). Because for me that's always been the case and as someone already mentioned, in the likes of wCw, the very first match on the card, usually a Cruiserweight match was normally the most entertaining from a wrestling point of view. To be honest main even feuds are very, very rarely between two stars who are absolute gems in the ring.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's true, I never thought of it that way.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Too bad the mid-card is filled with a bunch of "characters" I really don't give a shit about. Or joke characters like Jack Swagger that aren't funny at all. Guys like Kofi Kingston have no personality on the mic so it's kind of hard to care about the match. I'd say about 60% of a match for me is the story that either the match tells/the story going into the match. Kane, Taker, Danielson, Low-Ki Cena, Mysterio, ADR, Orton, Sheamus and Edge know how to tell the stories. Ziggler can tell them to an extent as well. Teazy is obviously saying he likes SPOTZ though. Personally I'm not a fan of spot monkeys with no personality that fill up the midcard. (I.E. Morrison, Kingston & Kidd)

If HBK, Triple H, a healthy Taker, CM Punk, Batista and Jericho are still around then the mid-card doesn't even hold a candle to the main event. But with the decimated main event scene we currently have and with The Miz (who is probably a bottom 5 wrestler in the company as the champ) then yes the mid-card features better wrestling by default.

·
KILL BECKY KILL
3,192 Posts
I'm pretty sure Kidd and Kingston can 'tell a story' in a match.

The problem is, if your not really in a feud, there won't be a story to tell. Main Eventers get far more time in the ring.

I agree that Morrison has generally been quite 'spotty' when given the oppurtunity though.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Kingston isn't a storyteller like other guys on the roster. He's decent in the ring as far as storytelling goes. Otherwise he's just a very athletic spot monkey. Same goes for Tyson Kidd. Either way I don't care about a story they are telling because they are boring. If you can't get emotionally invested in the characters because they are so bland then you can't really get emotionally invested in their matches either, at least I can't.

·
KILL BECKY KILL
3,192 Posts
Well plenty of people seem to be interested in Kingston on live shows. Maybe he just doesn't appeal to you Scrilla?

Thing is, its hard to really judge a midcard talent in this respect. Particularly Kidd. He hasn't been given a chance yet.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
No Morrison can tell a story and sell better than Kingston, just because he does flips to please the fans doesn't mean he is a spot monkey.

Kidd hasn't been given the chance to do anything so I don't know how you can make judgment.

·
Banned
8,283 Posts
What is the point of this thread. Some people that aren't big wrestling fans watch because they like the mid card guys wrestling like Daniel Bryan but a lot more people that aren't big wrestling fans watch just to see Cena or whoever the WWE tells them is cool. I don't get why they love Cena so much or Hornswoggle and I think it's really stupid but whatever. WWE is catering to little kids and kids are incapable of understanding what a good match is all about or what a good wrestler is about. Their parents are usually Christians that are afraid of violence.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Well plenty of people seem to be interested in Kingston on live shows. Maybe he just doesn't appeal to you Scrilla?

Thing is, its hard to really judge a midcard talent in this respect. Particularly Kidd. He hasn't been given a chance yet.
Kingston appeals to the people in the crowd because half of them are children and he does cool spots/can be very charismatic in the ring as well, but outside of the ring he's pretty fucking boring. I just don't care about his character therefore I can't care about his matches either.

Even if Kidd is given a chance he's already proven himself to be very boring. Look at the Hart Dynasty break up did anyone care? Nope. Why? Because they are boring as fuck. That's why the blow off match ended up on fucking Superstars loool.

No Morrison can tell a story and sell better than Kingston, just because he does flips to please the fans doesn't mean he is a spot monkey.

Kidd hasn't been given the chance to do anything so I don't know how you can make judgment.
I agree Morrison is a BETTER storyteller than Kingston, still no where up with the top main event guys as far as storytelling goes. I still consider him a spotmonkey considering that's the only reason he gets his pops and has fans behind him cuz he can do KOOL SPOTZ!!!!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
This is'nt a new phenomenon

but if we switched the placement of the midcarders and main eventers, there would'nt be a WWE to complain about.
A majority of fans pay to see the main eventers, i don't understand why people have a hard time accepting this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts