Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
BOOTS TO ASSES
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is the greatest out of the two?

They are both legends in the business, both have a similar style of working. But for me Foley has the edge.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Foley. Dude was my favourite growing up.
He took bump-taking and hardcore wrestling to unprecedented heights.

Although, taking nothing away from Terry, he's one tough SOB, and he's still going, I believe he's having his last ever match later this month against Jerry Lawler, and I know Terry was one of Foley's inspirations.

But for me, it's got to be Mick.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
Terry Funk without a shadow of the doubt.

I think the vast majority that say Foley, just hasn't seen Terry's non-WWE & ECW work. He's a serious contender for GOAT. His Japan and Mid-South stuff is golden.

I'm not slating Foley by any means, but Terry is just so much better.

·
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
5,893 Posts
Funk, he just 'got' pro wrestling like no other. He knew how to adjust his style to suit a character change, how to wreste like a cowardly heel, a sympathetic face, a deranged lunatic etc, JBL talked in his blog about heels in particular having to be in control of a crowd and Funk epitomised this, any arena worldwide he could control with ease through his mannerisms and charisma. Seeing him take the time to deliberately trip himself over the ropes after taking a beating from Lawler to sell the exhaustion and chaotic nature of the match is something very few people besides Funk would think to do.

Foley himself however is no slouch, both men are amazing promos for their versatility and are arguably two of the most empathetic wrestlers of all time. They could make you care for them and then hate them in a second, both men weren't afraid to punish their body to capture realism in a match and captivate an audience and their legacies on the industry are well documented. Foley may not have the match calibre of Funk but still has an incredibly impressive catalogue of matches namely the HBK Mind Games match, Over the Edge vs Austin, Wrestlemania 22 vs Edge, Royal Rumble 2000 Street Fight, vs Orton Backlash 2004, ONS 2006 6 man Hardcore match and the infamous HIAC vs Taker. He also has some gems in WCW against the likes of Vader, Sting, Paul Orndorff, the Nasty Boys, Dustin Rhodes etc.

A very close decision between two incredibly intelligent and talented workers, but Terry Funk gets my approval.

·
Registered
240 Posts
This one has to go to Foley in my opinion, although don't get me wrong Funk has had some great matches such as the barbed wire match against Sabu.

But Foley just wins it for me, just his whole persona etc. just gives him the upper hand in this instance compared to Funk.
Also the amount of characters hes managed to pull of during his career:
Mick Foley
Jack Foley
Cactus Jack Manson
Cactus Jack Foley
Cactus Jack
Dude Love
Mankind
Cactus Sac
Commissioner Foley
Good Santa

Overall Foley is just that little bit better than Funk imo.

·
Registered
700 Posts
This ends in a draw for me.
Ditto.

I grew up hanging out at a friend's house watching Mid-South on thier satellite (back when it really was something special to even know someone that had one, let alone have one yourself). I've been lucky enough to watch both of these guys for the better part of thier careers. When it comes to hardcore, there's not really anything I can think of off the top of my head that I haven't seen both of them do at one time or another, often when facing each other. I can't put one over the other, because they're both completely insane for putting themselves through the things they have, and they are about the toughest SOB's you'll ever see in a ring. I might give the edge to Foley for his mic work, but alot of that is because of the varied characters he played within WWE. Funk, for the most part, has pretty much been the same guy throughout his career, a bad ass that would put himself through hell just to put a little hurtin' on his opponents.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I have seen enough of Foley and heard of enough of Funk to legitimately say I have no answer for this. If I was to say Foley because of what I've seen, it would nullify what I have read about Terry in the past.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Terry Funk is better wrestler, but I like Foley more. I'm emotionally much more into Mick's matches.

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
Both were great on the mic, Funk was slightly better in the ring. Funk has been around since the 70's, on a top level, and went on full-time 'till the late 90's, and still wrestles from time to time. Foley only since the early 90's, and went part-time around 2000 already. Funk has done more for the business, and I'm sure Foley won't argue with this.

Funk.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
I think Funk is the GOAT as far as Pro Wrestling goes. He may not have the most impressive set of work (mostly because most of it isn't available or was never taped) but that guy just "understands" Pro Wrestling better than anyone else, he knows what to do, and exactly when to do it to get the most out of his matches. In fact the very best quote i've seen praising Terry Funk was from Foley himself in the forward of Funk's book (which is a great read by the way).

Mick Foley said:
I can't accurately state who the greatest of all time is, but I can say without any hesitation that Terry Funk is the greatest wrestler i've ever seen.

"What about Ric Flair?" I hear the doubters cry. No doubt, Flair was great, and he and Funk were the only workers I've ever seen who seemed to exude their love for the wrestling in every in-ring step. Funk was simply more believable. When watching Flair, no matter how great the match, with very rare exceptions, I was always aware I was watching a performance. Terry Funk made me believe.

He made a lot of the fans believe. I remember looking at the faces of the fans when The Funker was in action. Looking at the faces of his Japanese faithful in 1980, when he was at his most beloved. They believed. Looking at the faces of the Memphis fans when he was at his most tyrannical. They believed. Looking at an Atlanta TV audience when Terry returned from mainstream exile middle aged and crazy. They believed.

Maybe it would have been more accurate to say fans suspended their disbelief when Terry Funk took to the ring- or the microphone. But he sure made suspending disbelief a breeze. No one in the modern age of Wrestling had the ability to make an impact so fully, or so quickly. The arrival of The Funker to a new terretory or TV Show would inevitably mean that a major change was taking place. Wrestling would almost instantly become a little scarier. A little funnier. A little more believable.

And that change could be infectious. He had that rare abilty to bring out the best, not only in his opponents, but in onlookers, as well. Wrestlers raised their game, both physically and verbally, when Funker came to town, lest they be swept away by the rising tide of increased expectations he left in his wake.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts