Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PHP:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/fighting/article13970951.html
Scott Fishman of The Miami Herald has an interview with WWE Hall of Famer Mick Foley, who will be the commissioner for tonight's Ronin Pro Wrestling event at the Broward College-South Campus Gymnasium in Pembroke Pines, FL. Below are a couple of highlights:

Daniel Bryan not winning The Royal Rumble:

"Even though I was pulling for Daniel Bryan to win the Rumble, as soon as I found out it was going to be Roman Reigns I thought there would be some good possibilities and stories that could go on to make it really interesting. If I was commissioner still I would try to do my best to put the matches and the guys in them over as much as I could. That was always my goal with whatever I did. If there was or is a change of re-balancing of power in the future, I hope they would go with someone who could give the show a different feel. I think those shifts are really important every once in a while."

Being most excited for the Intercontinental title ladder match at WrestleMania:

"My oldest son [Dewey] and I were talking about how the championship and how it has become a hot commodity because I think there is an understating that these guys are going to put on a match that is going to be hard for anyone to top. That's what you need to make a great card. If that's anything but a classic, I'd be personally disappointed. I'm looking forward to that one. I want to see Sting and Triple H like anyone else. I'm going to go out on a limb here to say there better be a spot for AxelMania because it's running wild. I'm telling you right now. A pairing of AxelMania down the road with Damien Sandow or Mizdow could be the Mega Powers for the new generation."

Foley also discussed being the commissioner on RAW and working with Kurt Angle, Jon Stewart's appearance on RAW, Trina Michaels and much more. You can check out the full interview by clicking here.
Give the IC Title match 20 minutes and you won't hear a single complaint from me.

I've got a feeling I'll be disappointed. I have really high hopes for the IC Title Ladder match to be one of the GOAT WM matches and be the best ladder match @ Mania since Wm16-17.

But if you look back @ those MITB matches, they never stole the show and Wm21 for example had a lot of talented guys in it (Benoit, Jericho, Edge, Shelton, etc.) but it was easily forgettable just like every WM MITB Ladder match.

Hope this one is special.

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
I don't care about the ladder match's quality tbh. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MITB matches haven't really been "classics" or memorable. I'd only say that 2 of them have.

I just want Bryan to win. That is all I want at this point. I will honestly be pissed if someone else wins. :shrug

·
Registered
519 Posts
But if you look back @ those MITB matches, they never stole the show and Wm21 for example had a lot of talented guys in it (Benoit, Jericho, Edge, Shelton, etc.) but it was easily forgettable just like every WM MITB Ladder match.

Hope this one is special.
Yep, this is exactly why I was happy when they moved MITB to it's own PPV. It was great at first at WM but after WM25 it kinda lost it's luster and just became a spotfest featuring midcarders who couldn't get anywhere else on the card. Having it as it's own ppv makes the match feel much more prestigious rather than an undercard match...

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't care about the ladder match's quality tbh. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MITB matches haven't really been "classics" or memorable. I'd only say that 2 of them have.

I just want Bryan to win. That is all I want at this point. I will honestly be pissed if someone else wins. :shrug
TBH I would be more upset if the match was rushed and ended in 10-15 min. + with Bryan winning than if the match got 20 minutes and turned out to be a classic with someone like Ambrose winning.

I want Bryan to be in the match that stole the show 2nd year in a row, don't care if he wins or loses.

As long as the IC ladder match steal the show.

·
Benson, Charisma and Camila Mendes Fan. King Of Th
17,363 Posts
I do love Mic Foley's take in all of this and I am happy that he is excited about the Intercontinental Championship Ladder Match at Wrestlemania 31. It will be extremely hard for any match to top that shit. One day I do hope to see Mic Foley in the writing team for WWE because the dude knows how to make stars even when he was wrestling in the last part of the years 1999/2000. He helped Triple H a lot, gave his best matches in my opinion with The Undertaker and Kane. Great read and thanks Op for posting it.

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
TBH I would be more upset if the match was rushed and ended in 10-15 min. + with Bryan winning than if the match got 20 minutes and turned out to be a classic with someone like Ambrose winning.

I want Bryan to be in the match that stole the show 2nd year in a row, don't care if he wins or loses.

As long as the IC ladder match steal the show.
I think it might (& probably will) steal the show, but that is not a big accomplishment w/ this year's Mania card.

It won't be a classic. MITB matches are never really classics. Just give me Bryan winning and let's be done with it lol. That is what I want.

If this was about having classic & showstealing matches, I'd book Bryan vs. Cesaro. Would be MOTY.

·
Banned
10,735 Posts
Foley went from being the most outspoken Bryan mark criticizing WWE's use of him, to just not caring. It's bizarre, like Vince brainwashed him or something. Suddenly he just loves everything WWE does, just like Jericho of late

Jim Ross will be the next to be assimilated, if he isn't already

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it might (& probably will) steal the show, but that is not a big accomplishment w/ this year's Mania card.

It won't be a classic. MITB matches are never really classics. Just give me Bryan winning and let's be done with it lol. That is what I want.

If this was about having classic & showstealing matches, I'd book Bryan vs. Cesaro. Would be MOTY.
There's tough competition with the Orton vs Rollins match.

You say it won't be a classic but who knows?

You got Bryan, you got Ziggler, you got Ambrose, you got Harper, you got Stardust.

Remember the Ziggler-Harper match @ TLC? Remember Cody's performance @ the 2013 MITB? Etc.

Those guys are too damn talented not to have a Match of the Year candidate, I have faith in them.

I just want WWE to give them about 20 minutes.

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
There's tough competition with the Orton vs Rollins match.

You say it won't be a classic but who knows?

You got Bryan, you got Ziggler, you got Ambrose, you got Harper, you got Stardust.

Remember the Ziggler-Harper match @ TLC? Remember Cody's performance @ the 2013 MITB? Etc.

Those guys are too damn talented not to have a Match of the Year candidate, I have faith in them.

I just want WWE to give them about 20 minutes.
I definitely do remember Ziggler/Harper & Cody's performance @ MITB '13, but do you think those matches were classics? I thought those matches were good/great, but definitely not classics. I predict the same thing will happen w/ this match, good match & probably match of the night, but not a true Wrestlemania classic like Bryan/HHH from last year for an example. :shrug

Bryan needs to win. That is all I want at this point. Since they added him into that clusterfuck of a match, they better give him the win.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
54,635 Posts
If WWE is smart, they'll give the Ladder Match 20 minutes. If they give them that, I think they can steal the show with the only real competition being the Rollins/Orton match. Will be interesting to see how long they give these two matches, and especially the main event.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
WWE have a chance to put on a showstealer with this match. This basically means that it's not going to happen. I've somewhat given up my hopes but I'm not saying they can't prove me wrong.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
This WM ladder match use to be for a shot at the WWE Championship and now it's for some geek belt. I'm not interested in this match.

·
Banned
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I definitely do remember Ziggler/Harper & Cody's performance @ MITB '13, but do you think those matches were classics? I thought those matches were good/great, but definitely not classics. I predict the same thing will happen w/ this match, good match & probably match of the night, but not a true Wrestlemania classic like Bryan/HHH from last year for an example. :shrug

Bryan needs to win. That is all I want at this point. Since they added him into that clusterfuck of a match, they better give him the win.
No, they weren't classics but I'm saying it's all of those great elements / wrestlers that'll make the match a classic.

We saw how Ziggler performed in a Ladder match, Harper, Cody, etc.

All of them have a chip on their shoulders and they're going to go all out on this match and I hope they deliver a classic.

Like I said, 20 minutes for this match, that's all I want.

Last year's Mania, you had 120 minutes of ring time (excluding the Pre-Show).

Let's put the Battle Royal in the Pre-Show this year.

You have seven matches:
Reigns vs Lesnar (25 minutes)
Sting vs HHH (20 minutes)
Cena vs Rusev (18 minutes)
Taker vs Wyatt (15 minutes)
Orton vs Rollins (17 minutes)
Ladder Match (20 minutes)
Divas Match (5 minutes)

Plus, last year you had a segment @ Mania (the opening segment) for 10 minutes.

Give 2 minutes to Sting's entrance, 2 minutes to the Divas match, 2 minutes to Cena-Rusev and Orton-Rollins or Taker-Wyatt.

·
The Blue Meanie
15,837 Posts
The ladder match is going to be a clusterfuck and I'm expecting R Truth to win. There are way too many people in this match and what should've been Ambrose's moment is already being ruined.

·
Banned
25,988 Posts
Foley went from being the most outspoken Bryan mark criticizing WWE's use of him, to just not caring. It's bizarre, like Vince brainwashed him or something. Suddenly he just loves everything WWE does, just like Jericho of late

Jim Ross will be the next to be assimilated, if he isn't already

Nah, he's nothing like Jericho. He's become like us, just simply apathetic to the things WWE does.

·
The NEW
13,467 Posts
No, they weren't classics but I'm saying it's all of those great elements / wrestlers that'll make the match a classic.

We saw how Ziggler performed in a Ladder match, Harper, Cody, etc.

All of them have a chip on their shoulders and they're going to go all out on this match and I hope they deliver a classic.

Like I said, 20 minutes for this match, that's all I want.

Last year's Mania, you had 120 minutes of ring time (excluding the Pre-Show).

Let's put the Battle Royal in the Pre-Show this year.

You have seven matches:
Reigns vs Lesnar (25 minutes)
Sting vs HHH (20 minutes)
Cena vs Rusev (18 minutes)
Taker vs Wyatt (15 minutes)
Orton vs Rollins (17 minutes)
Ladder Match (20 minutes)
Divas Match (5 minutes)

Plus, last year you had a segment @ Mania (the opening segment) for 10 minutes.

Give 2 minutes to Sting's entrance, 2 minutes to the Divas match, 2 minutes to Cena-Rusev and Orton-Rollins or Taker-Wyatt.
Let's be honest here man. Sting, Taker, HHH & Wyatt will all have long ass entrances. :lol Wouldn't be surprised if the ladder match gets some of it's time cut off because of that.

But yeah I agree. Multi-man ladder matches should always be at least 20 mins.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts