Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched a few matches from the mid nineties from Michinoku Pro Wrestling over the last few weeks and have been majorly impressed. To me it is Dragon Gate but 15 years before..... if you have not seen it before then it comes highly reccommended from me!!

One match in particular really stood out and that was a 10 Man Tag Match that took place at the third anniversary show in Tokyo.

Take a look here if you want to watch the match http://www.wrestlingmatchhof.co.uk/new-inductee.php but I would highly recommend going on YouTube at searching for more matches!!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
15 years? M-Pro was created in 1993 by the Great Sasuke. Dragongate was created in 1997 (as Toryumon) by Ultimo Dragon

Other non-Puroresu Japanese promotions: K-Dojo (2002, Taka Michinoku), Osaka Pro (1998, Super Delfin)

All 4 promotions were founded by people who toured the usa/mexico frequently. But yes, Michinoku Pro was the first.

·
Banned
4,096 Posts
rumor has it that the only reason Michinoku Pro exists is because Great Sasuke was told that he would never be heavyweight champ so he made MPW so that he can make himself one

·
Banned
690 Posts
15 years? M-Pro was created in 1993 by the Great Sasuke. Dragongate was created in 1997 (as Toryumon) by Ultimo Dragon

Other non-Puroresu Japanese promotions: K-Dojo (2002, Taka Michinoku), Osaka Pro (1998, Super Delfin)

All 4 promotions were founded by people who toured the usa/mexico frequently. But yes, Michinoku Pro was the first.
Maybe he means Dragon Gate USA.

·
Custom User Title
15,231 Posts
Gran Hamada's UWF was really the first 'lucharesu' promotion. At least I think. It was around before M-Pro, anyway.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Gran Hamada's UWF was really the first 'lucharesu' promotion. At least I think. It was around before M-Pro, anyway.
Close. He worked all three of NJPW, AJPW & UWF in the 80s (plus he became a star in EMLL)and opened up ULL in '90. Sasuke opened MPro in '93 because ULL was heading downhill. There's simply no lucharesu without Universal Lucha Libre. Just look at who came out of ULL!
Yoshihiro Asai (later Último Dragón)
Masa Michinoku (later The Great Sasuke)
Monkey Magic Wakita (later Super Delfin)
Punish (later Gedo)
Crush (later Jado)
Taka Michinoku
Shiryu (later Kaz Hayashi)
Mongolian Yuga (later Jinsei Shinzaki)
Terry Boy (later Men's Teioh)
Sakigake Gantetsu (later Dick Togo)

·
Custom User Title
15,231 Posts
That was likely the promtoion I was thinking of actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Lucha_Libre

Their Championships all say 'UWF'. I get confused with shit like that. :p I know it was pretty much Hamada's place for lucha libre in Japan. Or something. There's some great "Mexicans in Japan" matches with Santo/Panther/Fuerza/etc.

If 'Super Delfin' wasn't such a great name I'd be disappointed the 'Mokey Magic Wakita' name was retired at one point. 'Monkey Magic Wakita' should be an ongoing thing like Tiger Mask.

·
Registered
627 Posts
That was likely the promtoion I was thinking of actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Lucha_Libre

Their Championships all say 'UWF'. I get confused with shit like that. :p I know it was pretty much Hamada's place for lucha libre in Japan. Or something. There's some great "Mexicans in Japan" matches with Santo/Panther/Fuerza/etc.

If 'Super Delfin' wasn't such a great name I'd be disappointed the 'Mokey Magic Wakita' name was retired at one point. 'Monkey Magic Wakita' should be an ongoing thing like Tiger Mask.
Monkey Magic was repeated. There's been atleast one or two others since.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts