Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the latest episode of Lillian Garcia’s Chasing Glory podcast, former WWE Superstar Michelle McCool discussed how her relationship with her husband, Mark “The Undertaker” Callaway, began. McCool also revealed how it changed the way people backstage at the company dealt with her, and eventually helped her decide to leave pro wrestling all together.

“He kind of courted me for awhile, and people started noticing. Sharmell [Booker T’s wife], Torrie [Wilson], Vickie [Guerrero], a few good friends were like, ‘Taker never talks to girls, like ever, that is not something he does’ which is true. He’ll tell you, it was always his cardinal rule. But I always got to the buildings early, I was always working with Arn [Anderson] or Fit [Finlay] or whoever would teach me, because I was basically learning on the road. I guess he took notice, so people started talking. I was like, ‘look, I don’t even like long-haired, tattooed guys, that is not even my thing, no way.’

So he was taking care of me during [an injury and illness on WWE’s 2007 European tour which left her hospitalized for 16 days]. I had no idea. He was calling me in the hospital. He was checking on me. When I finally made it back to TV, we started talking a little bit, and he’ll say he fell in love one day when we were in the arena and I was throwing a football with Chavo [Guerrero] and MVP and look, in the McCool family, you know how to throw a football, you’re gonna throw a spiral. And apparently guys are that simple because he was like, ‘I fell in love.’

So we started dating, and I knew what was gonna come with that. And so it was hard. I hid it for a long time, we hid it for a long time in the work place, for several months. He had a bus at this point, which a lot of the guys do now, I would literally wait until everybody left the building so nobody saw me get on the bus. I would do anything I possibly could to make people still see Michelle for Michelle, not for Undertaker’s, at the time, girlfriend. Which I’ve quickly learned that never goes away because now I’m just Undertaker’s wife. So, it is what it is.

I can literally count, on one, maybe one and a half hands, how many people treated me the same from WWE pre-Mark and post-Mark. And news flash, Michelle McCool didn’t change. I’m still me. So, there were a ton of people that now found out I was dating Mark, ‘Oh, I better change my tune and be super nice.’ And ya know, I’m not that type, I’m gonna call you for it, because I haven’t changed. I’m not acting any different. Like don’t treat me any different... I think it says more about the people that see it that way, just because I personally wouldn’t treat somebody like that. But on the bright side, it also shows you who your true friends are.

Leaving was tough because it got to a point where - I was dealing with so much, mostly being Undertaker’s girlfriend while I was on TV. There was even a writer who threw the papers up one day and said, ‘Why don’t we just call it the Michelle McCool and Undertaker show.’ I went to Vince [McMahon] on numerous occasions and said, ‘I don’t want to hate something that I grew up loving so much. The longer I stay, the more I get this sour taste in my mouth.’”
https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2019/6/3/18651177/michelle-mccool-relationship-undertaker-treated-differently-backstage-leaving-wwe

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,923 Posts
I'm struggling with the context, is she saying that people being fake nice made her quit, or being given a push she didn't deserve made her quit, or people being unhappy with her getting a push she didn't deserve made her quit? Are her thoughts just that scattered or are large portions of her comments missing?

If anybody can make heads or tails of this nonsense, please explain it to me.

·
Registered
623 Posts
there were a ton of people that now found out I was dating Mark, ‘Oh, I better change my tune and be super nice.’ And ya know, I’m not that type, I’m gonna call you for it, because I haven’t changed. I’m not acting any different.
This is a dumbass mentality. Ofc if people either didn't like her or know her, found out she's dating Taker (someone they massively respect) then obviously they'll be nicer to her out of respect for him.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It must have been so hard, yet she was wearing Undertaker inspired attire well before it was ever revealed off camera by either of them.

I also feel it for sure elevated her status, granted there were not a huge talent pool of women back then but she was overly pushed in my opinion when I don't think she was ever that interesting of a character or particularly great in any area, ring, looks, mic, etc. Always found her just ok.

·
Registered
5,694 Posts
On the latest episode of Lillian Garcia’s Chasing Glory podcast, former WWE Superstar Michelle McCool discussed how her relationship with her husband, Mark “The Undertaker” Callaway, began. McCool also revealed how it changed the way people backstage at the company dealt with her, and eventually helped her decide to leave pro wrestling all together.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2019/6/3/18651177/michelle-mccool-relationship-undertaker-treated-differently-backstage-leaving-wwe
Kinda hard to take her seriously given the serious advantages afforded to her just because of who she was dating at the time.

The "Why don't we call it the Undertaker and Michelle McCool show" line was pretty funny. I'm actually surprised that the writer didn't lose their job right after.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Kinda hard to take her seriously given the serious advantages afforded to her just because of who she was dating at the time.

The "Why don't we call it the Undertaker and Michelle McCool show" line was pretty funny. I'm actually surprised that the writer didn't lose their job right after.
maybe he did.

·
Registered
307 Posts
One of the worst female workers of all time. One of the reasons why I stopped watching WWE during that era of mediocrity.

Oh I think there's a lot worse that's come through the doors than Michelle . She was an OK worker , but literally zero charisma and massively overused.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Always interesting to see talent who feels overused or overpushed. I wonder if Roman feels the same way. He could have been a big star, but people soured on him because he was overpushed. Not his fault.

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
I'm struggling with the context, is she saying that people being fake nice made her quit, or being given a push she didn't deserve made her quit, or people being unhappy with her getting a push she didn't deserve made her quit? Are her thoughts just that scattered or are large portions of her comments missing?

If anybody can make heads or tails of this nonsense, please explain it to me.
I think she's saying she just didn't like everything entailed with being Takers girlfriend. From writers feeling they had to use her like this, or co-workers that felt they had to be super nice. I got that she's saying "I'm a cool down to earth bitch, and they just started treating me like i wasn't".

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,923 Posts
I think she's saying she just didn't like everything entailed with being Takers girlfriend. From writers feeling they had to use her like this, or co-workers that felt they had to be super nice. I got that she's saying "I'm a cool down to earth bitch, and they just started treating me like i wasn't".
I was on hiatus from WWE during her run so what came first, her over push or her dating Taker? Seems to me like if she was okay with getting a huge push because of "Taker's woman" then it would be hypocritical to complain about the negatives that came with being "Taker's woman", it would be like Charlotte complaining about people just treating her as "Ric's daughter".

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,873 Posts
Bitch referred to herself in the third person three times there and always looked like she needed a sandwich and a pair of cartoonishly large boobs. No time for her.

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
I was on hiatus from WWE during her run so what came first, her over push or her dating Taker? Seems to me like if she was okay with getting a huge push because of "Taker's woman" then it would be hypocritical to complain about the negatives that came with being "Taker's woman", it would be like Charlotte complaining about people just treating her as "Ric's daughter".
I was watching but I don't really know, off rip. I do get what your saying but I get her point too. I can get taking a promotion but maybe not liking why you got it. Sort of like if somebody got a promotion solely because their company needed diversity. They might like the promotion, but feel the reasoning was bull shit.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
When I finally made it back to TV, we started talking a little bit, and he’ll say he fell in love one day when we were in the arena and I was throwing a football with Chavo [Guerrero] and MVP and look, in the McCool family, you know how to throw a football, you’re gonna throw a spiral. And apparently guys are that simple because he was like, ‘I fell in love.’

he fell in love because you threw a "spiral"? righto.

Reactions: Even Flow

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
I remember Michelle basically being one of the best of a lousy women's division at that time. I know that's kind of a half-assed "compliment". She was athletic and knew how to get heat, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts