Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen him at the flea market and not sure if he was having a bad day but he was kinda rude.

He had a booth selling the cheap platic Rey Mysterio masks for $50 and thundersticks for $10. I went up and asked if I could get a picture with him on my phone and he wanted $15.

I feel bad for him. Is this how most of the old guys have to make their living now? All the other legends I've met were happy to sign autographs and take pictures but he was just very negative to everyone that stopped by.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I have a sneaking suspicion you're fibbing. While I believe that HTM was indeed at a flea market and asking $15 for a photo...Mysterio masks and thundersticks? :lmao

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Anyone can have their pic with me for $10. HAHAHA @ $15.

Reactions: Eduard Khil

·
Registered
12,426 Posts
Well, since the WWE doesn't provide their retired talent with any sort of pension or support system for when their careers are done, some wrestlers who haven't been very good with their money are left pretty much high and dry. In their old age (let's say 50s and up), they have no skills besides wrestling, and their bodies can't do that anymore. They aren't trained to do anything else and so have no income. That's probably why he's bitter. Here's this guy in his 60s scraping by to make ends meet. He goes to flea markets, comic conventions, does Indy dates and whatnot trying to bring in some money. I know that here in Toronto, HTM was scheduled to do a stand up comedy routine at a club downtown earlier this year, but no showed, claiming he was making an appearance on Raw instead and had to do that (he ended up not appearing on Raw, either). For a lot of guys, this is a harsh blow-HTM, for example, is the longest reigning IC champion and has worked Wrestlemanias. Its probably a big blow to his ego to now have to support himself in a way that's much less fame worthy. Plus, I heard him and Sheik ranting at the Toronto Comic Con a few years back that they donated their bodies to the wrestling industry and now are left the fend for themselves, financially, and they were yelling quite a bit (Sheik was being Sheik). Obviously, its a hot topic with them. Once their careers are done, unlike regular jobs, there's no pension to provide for them in their old age. Vince has received criticism for this, too. Some may have legends deals or appear on a contract basis, but that's not enough to live through a whole year. You have to have been like Austin or Foley, where they were smart with their money and are pretty much set for life now.

So here's HTM, doing this work he feels is probably beneath him...seriously, flea markets really feel kind of redneck to me, the places are always really grungy and kinda sketchy, from what I've seen...he hasn't got a steady pay check coming in, he feels his former employer royally fucked him with the no pension stuff...yeah, I can understand the bitterness. Doesn't excuse it though.

And I'm still mortified that people these days have the gall to charge for autographs and pictures. These people are your fans and you'd dare to charge them for the pleasure of meeting you? They already buy your shit and support your career and that's not enough? I swear to god, at the Toronto Fan Expo a few years back, BUZZ FUCKING ALDRIN was there, and charging 80 DOLLARS for an autograph and picture. AND PEOPLE WERE LINING UP! What is Buzz Aldrin doing at a comic convention in the first place? Second, where does he get off thinking that his celebrity is so great that he can charge almost a hundred bucks for a squiggle he makes and him generously spending 10 seconds to take a picture with someone? How dare anyone do that. And I've seen some of these pictures people take with celebrities, half the time the celebrity isn't even smiling. They look so annoyed being there. This is how you treat people who idolize and admire you? You can't even move a few FACIAL MUSCLES to make the day of a person who helps keep you relevant and out of the poor house? Sickening.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,234 Posts
I think it depends on how hard up a guy is.

I was always under th impression that Wayne Ferris (Honkeytonk) was a tool. He used his family connections to get his spot. Then he acted like he deserved to be treated like a star. However what the heck is the guy supposed to do for a living? I don't know?

It's funny at Charlotte Fan Fest a few years ago they would have these $15 photo sessions. They had all the wrestlers scheduled. It was my first year so I waited in line for Mr Wrestling 2, but I thought it was odd that I was the only one there. Well after two days I understood why no one was in line, because all of the wrestlers were too nice to say no to any autograph seekers and we were all in the same hotel. So everyone else just waited till they saw the guys at the bar, or by the pool etc...

There was one guy who was a tool and still wanted the $15 bucks....Dusty Rhodes, I know shocking right :rolleyes:?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Honkytonk Man being grumpy is nothing new. He just reeks of anger and sleaze. It pains me to say that about the first wrestler I ever marked out for, but the truth is the truth.

Honky, Sheik and all the rest knew going in that WWE didn't have a pension plan. Maybe they should have picked steadier careers? Or maybe they shouldn't have squandered the hundreds of thousands of dollars they earned on so many illegal substances? Or maybe WWF would have an agent spot for them today if they weren't such raging assholes? They get no sympathy from me. (I guess this no pension plan thing is the weekly IWC whine because I've seen it come up a few times recently.)

I'd never pay that kind of money for an autograph, but I'm not going condemn Honky, Buzz Aldrin, or whoever if a few suckers are willing.

·
Master Of the DDT
801 Posts
I've had one good experience with the Honky Tonk Man & one bad. The first comic convention my wife & I went to, he was there. He was charging $25 for a photo with the belt, $35 for a photo & autograph. He allowed my wife to take 2 photos & one of all three of us at no additional charge.
Plus he was kind enough to answer a couple questions I had.

Two years later, he returned but Ted Dibiase, Jim Duggan & Jake Roberts were there as well. Honky was charging $50 for a picture & autograph, $35 for one or the other.
Dibiase & Roberts were charging $20 for both & Duggan was only charging $10. And all three were really nice & made time with all the fans that came by their tables.
Honky Tonk's wife had a bullhorn trying to get people to come over but no one really did. I went by & he was pushing me to get a photo & an autograph, I told him I had already got one from two years previous & he was hounding me to get another one & not to bother with "those guys", pointing to Dibiase, Roberts & Duggan.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it depends on how hard up a guy is.

I was always under th impression that Wayne Ferris (Honkeytonk) was a tool. He used his family connections to get his spot. Then he acted like he deserved to be treated like a star. However what the heck is the guy supposed to do for a living? I don't know?

It's funny at Charlotte Fan Fest a few years ago they would have these $15 photo sessions. They had all the wrestlers scheduled. It was my first year so I waited in line for Mr Wrestling 2, but I thought it was odd that I was the only one there. Well after two days I understood why no one was in line, because all of the wrestlers were too nice to say no to any autograph seekers and we were all in the same hotel. So everyone else just waited till they saw the guys at the bar, or by the pool etc...

There was one guy who was a tool and still wanted the $15 bucks....Dusty Rhodes, I know shocking right :rolleyes:?
Wow that is pretty shocking but after I what I seen today, I can understand. At least all aren't that bad. I met Kane a few years back when the landscaping company I worked for did a job for his friend. I was there everyday for about two weeks and when he was around we'd always sit and talk. I met Ultimate Warrior at the grocery store and he gladly took a picture and said he really appreciated that he still had fans who care about him after all these years.

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
I met a load of legends a couple of years ago, and spent a day with them and most of the guys were really great, lovely etc.. and not pressuring, except for Virgil and Koko B Ware (slightly) ... Ted Dibiase had his book with him on the table, didn't even try to sell it to people unless they asked, Tito Santana was sat next to Rick Martel most of the time, and Tito had some Strike Force T-Shirts too that he was selling, no one was forced or asked if they wanted a T-Shirt, in fact Tito had the T-Shirts under the table, so it was only when people asked if he had any, my friend bought one and Tito asked him if he wanted it to be signed (didn't want anything for the signature on it), my friend said yes and Tito and Rick both signed the T-Shirt, with no hang up's or anything, they didn't care and we had a lovely conversation before and after the tshirt was even mentioned. (which my friend brought up and asked for)

Greg Valentine had a load of very cheap looking badly photocopied DVD's that looked self made (black and white photocopied covers) ... he was also not pressuring either, however he seemed half asleep half the time anyway haha, Virgil however, he had loads of video tapes and allsorts, that I think was his personal collection that he was very pressuring asking us to buy, I didn't want to buy one of those video tapes or tshirts etc.. he had anyway but he was saying how they're worth loads, some of the guys are passed away now etc.. and it was like 'But I don't want one', for a start they wouldn't even play on a UK system anyway and he was charging ridiculous prices for them (I can't remember how much exactly but I know it was a lot) ... my friend bought a tshirt out of pressure ... and again, I couldn't believe how much he asked for it ... then he was like 'You want me to sign it' etc... and he was cool after that, don't get me wrong, he was very cool to talk to ... but he did make me feel very uncomfortable, the same with Koko B Ware at first, he had his jacket that I think was ring worn (not sure) ... and was asking for £300 for it (I think) ... anyway, he didn't sell the jacket to anyone and ended up giving it away in the end, but it was also off putting when the first thing they say to you is 'Do you want to buy this' .. before even saying hello or anything, other than that everyone else was cool, and they were ok too, but the pressure to buy something from them was very uncomfortable, it spoiled the whole meeting them process really ... yet when meeting Tito, Rick, Dibiase, Piper, Genius, Warlord, Mountie, Finkel, Funk etc... they were all really really nice, lovely, Piper would be hugging ya and having a good chat with you ... Neidhart, Adam Bomb and Valentine were very quiet, and Iron Sheik was actually really nice too, he didn't say much but he saw me in the line waiting to go up to him, and I was stood there pretty quiet and he smiled at me as if to ask me if I was alright kinda thing .... despite what you see on his Youtube video's, he was really really nice in my experience!

But yeah, I know how it feels when you get pressured from talent, it's more like they were more interested in your money than coming to meet you, where as the other talent, they were more interested in meeting everyone who supported them over the years, were really happy and grateful to be there, being really nice to everyone etc.. and just being all round great great wonderful lovely people, really lovely people even.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,234 Posts
I just thought I would comment on the direction of this thread. I have met hundreds of wreslters, and I know it may come as a shock but they are human :rolleyes:. It is possible you meet them when their financial situation is not good therefore they push their merch hard. Or you meet them while they are in a good place financially.

I met Joe Dimaggio before he died and he was a total prick, however I knew he was tired of signing autographs all day, so I did not leave thinking he was like that in everyday life.

We all have our moods. I wish every wrestler I have met would be amiable and super nice, but the fact is, they are human.

Jeff Jarrett has been the kindest wreslter I have come in contact with, but it would not surprise me if someone said they met him and he was a jerk. Lets be careful, even though Dusty was the only guy in Charlotte at Wreslte Reunion who made guys pay it may have had to do more with where he was at the time.

BTW I have met all of my heroes except Sgt. Slaghter, maybe one day I will meet him.

·
18,013 Posts
I just thought I would comment on the direction of this thread. I have met hundreds of wreslters, and I know it may come as a shock but they are human :rolleyes:. It is possible you meet them when their financial situation is not good therefore they push their merch hard. Or you meet them while they are in a good place financially.
There is a thing called dignity and respect though, and a big difference between pressuring and forcing items onto someone, who has come to meet you (to some people they may be their idol) ... and all they are interested in is taking your money, it makes the person who's gone to meet them feel very pressured, uncomfortable and often guilty if they don't purchase something from them.

My friend felt incredibly pressured by Virgil that he bought the t-shirt, out of pure pressure, I said to him afterwards, why didn't you just say no ... it didn't feel too nice at all.

You go there to meet them anyway, they are also getting a fee for their appearance, it's not nice and a bit out of order really, I'd say quite ignorant when the first thing they do when you go up to them is to pressure you to buy something, this is before even saying a little hello or having a conversation.

If they are in bad ways financially for not looking after their money, then it's not our fault, who are actually still paying money to them to meet them anyway (in most cases), at the end of the day if The Mountie and other talents can all be nice and not have to do that, why can't others.

Fortunately, this is in the minority in my experience, now if they want to bring things to sell and advertise them, that is perfectly fine, but when they start pressurizing people who go to meet them, honestly, the talent should be told not to do to this, if I was running a conference I would have no hang up's about any talent bringing stalls to sell items they want to make extra money for, but it should be at the customers own free will.

Yes, you can say 'Well your friend could have said no' in regards to the tshirt ... he could have, just like I did, I just told Virgil I didn't want anything after a few attempts from him, but we're all different under different situations and I imagine loads of people have bought things out of feeling pressured, that they may have not wanted to, probably people who have less money than the talent too ... it's not our fault if the talent haven't looked after their money over the years.

Sorry but I cannot agree with anything you said in there at all, or can I condone it when talent do this, again, luckily it's in the minority but it is rude and out of order ... I mean, would Virgil have been as nice and had as much as a nice conversation with us, if my friend didn't buy something from him ... I'm not sure, cause it was very awkward and uncomfortable until my friend bought the tshirt.

Reactions: Barry_O

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
I actually met Honky Tonk Man a few years ago at a wrestling convention. After it was done, I saw him walking around the hotel and I hit him up for a photo to which initially he declined saying and I quote:

Motherfucker, I don't do this shit for free!
I didn't have any cash on me for the photo op so I offered to buy him a beer (with my debit card) from the bar to make up for it. His attitude was a complete 180 after that and all of a sudden, he was acting like my new best friend! X D

After I got him some Newcastle, I talked to him for like 10 minutes before we took our pic. He was pretty cool to talk to once he put his guard down.

- Vic

·
Likes wrestling....
8,234 Posts
There is a thing called dignity and respect though, and a big difference between pressuring and forcing items onto someone, who has come to meet you (to some people they may be their idol) ... and all they are interested in is taking your money, it makes the person who's gone to meet them feel very pressured, uncomfortable and often guilty if they don't purchase something from them.

My friend felt incredibly pressured by Virgil that he bought the t-shirt, out of pure pressure, I said to him afterwards, why didn't you just say no ... it didn't feel too nice at all.

You go there to meet them anyway, they are also getting a fee for their appearance, it's not nice and a bit out of order really, I'd say quite ignorant when the first thing they do when you go up to them is to pressure you to buy something, this is before even saying a little hello or having a conversation.

If they are in bad ways financially for not looking after their money, then it's not our fault, who are actually still paying money to them to meet them anyway (in most cases), at the end of the day if The Mountie and other talents can all be nice and not have to do that, why can't others.

Fortunately, this is in the minority in my experience, now if they want to bring things to sell and advertise them, that is perfectly fine, but when they start pressurizing people who go to meet them, honestly, the talent should be told not to do to this, if I was running a conference I would have no hang up's about any talent bringing stalls to sell items they want to make extra money for, but it should be at the customers own free will.

Yes, you can say 'Well your friend could have said no' in regards to the tshirt ... he could have, just like I did, I just told Virgil I didn't want anything after a few attempts from him, but we're all different under different situations and I imagine loads of people have bought things out of feeling pressured, that they may have not wanted to, probably people who have less money than the talent too ... it's not our fault if the talent haven't looked after their money over the years.

Sorry but I cannot agree with anything you said in there at all, or can I condone it when talent do this, again, luckily it's in the minority but it is rude and out of order ... I mean, would Virgil have been as nice and had as much as a nice conversation with us, if my friend didn't buy something from him ... I'm not sure, cause it was very awkward and uncomfortable until my friend bought the tshirt.
Okay I understand your point. I just have a little experiance in my own life trying to sell books at book signings. It's the guys who "pressure" people who actually do well. I am not like that and in return I don't sell as many books.

Point taken, but I don't think I was totally off base here.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
I can't remember what year it was, but I met Tully Blanchard. My father is a Baptist minister and he told me that Tully was going to be preaching at a local church and offered to take me so I went. Tully was very good and came across as very sincere in his beliefs. During his sermon he used a few examples from the Horsemen days to convey his point, but he never used it to make himself look better than anyone. After the sermon I talked to him as he was greeting everyone and I told him that his sermon was good and asked him a Ric Lair question and he firmly, yet respectfully told me that wasn't the reason he was there and answered my one question and we chatted for a few more minutes on non wrestling stuff.

·
18,013 Posts
Okay I understand your point. I just have a little experiance in my own life trying to sell books at book signings. It's the guys who "pressure" people who actually do well. I am not like that and in return I don't sell as many books.

Point taken.
Yeah, again, if people want to buy something, as a bonus for the talent then that's great!!!! and I hope that the talent do make lots of extra money from their merchandise they sell on top, but it's a bit like being a waiter and demanding a tip, and not providing a good service unless they give you something .... they're already getting a decent fee for appearing, and they should have courtesy to those who take time out, travel, spend a shit load of money in some cases and look forward to meeting their idols to only meet them and the talent only interested in taking more of their money, Virgil may be, to some people, their absolute favourite wrestler, and then they meet him and it's like 'Oh', they're deflated and have spent all that money for that crap experience.

Again, things like that should be at the customers free will, there is a difference too between asking if someone wanted to buy something, or trying to pitch a sale to someone, than being out and out pressuring, Ted Dibiase had his books on the table, he didn't even ask us if we wanted to buy one, people could see he was selling them and if they wanted one, they'd ask, and he'd sign it ... same with Tito as I mentioned about the T-Shirts and Valentine too, with his DVD's, there were no pressure from them and people were buying them anyway, Virgil seems to be known for it though.

Just found this on google now from a quick search :

"Hey man!" I looked up and it was Virgil. "Hey, come here." I complied because I didn't want him to hit me from behind with a haliburton. He was standing in front of his table and it was littered with WWF trading cards featuring his visage and several 8 x 10" glossies with him standing next to DiBiase.

"What are those shirts," he asked. I told him and he looked at me for a second, puzzled.

"You want one?" I was totally uncomfortable because I was pretty sure I knew what was coming next.

"Yeah. Size XL." I gave him the shirt and he held it up, looking at it. He repeated the text on the shirt and then looked back to me. "I tell you what. I'll wear your shirt tomorrow if you buy something from my table." He gestured at his table, particularly at his trading cards. "These are collector's items. They're worth a lot of money."

"If they're worth a lot of money, why are you selling them for $5?" He gave me a blank stare. I told him I didn't have any money on me, but he could keep the shirt.

While I made the rounds the next day, I saw him sitting at his booth. He was wearing the shirt.
Here is another :

A buddy and I went to the Wizard World convention in Philadelphia back in 2007. We were walking around the "celebrity" booths and saw Virgil sitting by himself with no one to talk to. We decided to go up to him just to say hi because it was really a sad sight to see. No more than 5 seconds after saying hello to the man, he is trying to sell us a $120 signed action figure 2 pack consisting of The Million Dollar Man and himself. We told him we have no interest in buying the action figures but he persists to try and sell them dropping the price down to $80 and then $60. Getting frustrated with our refusal to buy his overpriced toys he then tries to sell us a $30 signed photo of himself, and getting angry at us for not buying anything from him. At this point I'm completely disgusted and regretting our decision to just be nice to the guy, so we just tell him to have a nice day and walked off passing Lou Ferrigno who is also sitting alone and looking very lonely.
Read some of the comments on this video too : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKiKJ3_uUCw

And on here, the top comment : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rus0uOvLIKQ

This I just found from a quick google search just now in a few minutes, ya see what I mean? :)

Good luck with selling your books though by the way :), but what I mean is, there is a big difference in regards to it, asking people is fine and being like 'Are you sure, they're good ya know' etc... but then being pressuring and making people feel very uncomfortable is different, plus alongside the fact of the common courtesy of at least meeting them and having a conversation and saying hello first.

Don't get me wrong, other than that Virgil was actually a really cool guy, but I do feel that if my friend hadn't have bought a tshirt, because of how awkward it was and felt ... I doubt we'd have really had a good conversation with him after that, cause it was awkward in regards to being able to talk to him, so I don't know.

But yeah, you get what I mean anyway :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I met Honky Tonk Man twice, once in 2000 and in 2004 and both times he was really cool to me. But, both times he also was getting paid pretty well for his gigs, the first a big indy show plus he was just coming off an appearance on FX Toughman, and the second was for a wrestling seminar, so I understand where you're coming from.

·
Registered
21,621 Posts
Seen him at the flea market and not sure if he was having a bad day but he was kinda rude.

He had a booth selling the cheap platic Rey Mysterio masks for $50 and thundersticks for $10. I went up and asked if I could get a picture with him on my phone and he wanted $15.

I feel bad for him. Is this how most of the old guys have to make their living now? All the other legends I've met were happy to sign autographs and take pictures but he was just very negative to everyone that stopped by.
This isn't exactly how they all make their living but it's an extra pay day and who can turn that down? He was making money by going there and taking pictures/signing autographs so it makes no sense for him to do it for free. He's taking his time out to be there and can only expect to be paid for his services.

That being said, I think the system is really flawed.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
From his shoot interviews I'd be amazed if somebody met him and said 'honky tonk is a really nice friendly guy'

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I don't know what's worse - extortion for an autograph of your favorite star or not being able to get one at all (or even have any contact).

Back in the day there really was no way to get an autograph from your favorite star or get to meet them even for a minute. The closest I ever came to having any contact with one of my favorite stars was at Sunnyside Gardens in Long Island City, Queens, N.Y. back around 1962-63.

My friend Gary and I were taken to the matches that day by his father. Sunnyside Gardens was a small arena and we got there early with the hope of running into a star or two. Of course, the wrestlers came in through some back entrance. The show was getting ready to start and we hadn't spotted any wrestlers at all.

All of a sudden through the main door where the fans were entering Handsome Johnny Barend literally storms in with his suitcase walking quickly toward the back of the arena. Apparently, he was late and rushing to get to the dressing room to change for his appearance.

Barend is walking directly toward us and my pal runs up to him and starts screaming something like, "Johnny we love you. Can I have your autograph." Barend keeps looking straight ahead (he had on his trademark sunglasses), shoves my friend over a chair without missing a stride, and disappears into the back of the arena!'

Some here may think that this was terrible and you shouldn't treat kids this way. To us it was GREAT! Gary had bragging rights for months afterwards. Really, how many kids were pushed over a chair and knocked to the ground by Johnny Barend! I was jealous as hell. I wished it had been me that was knocked down by Barend!!

So, everything is relative. At least today the fans can get close to their stars for a few seconds and get an autograph - even if it costs 50 bucks to do so!!!

- Mike

SUNNYSIDE GARDENS ARENA, LONG ISLAND CITY, QUEENS, NY

Reactions: Barry_O

·
Banned
8,267 Posts
What happens with these guys is that they blow all their money. You figure Honky Tonk Man probably made a million dollars maybe more in his prime and he's blown it all. It's not like a TV Star or something who might make 5000 a week for 3 years and that's it forever. Honky was an Upper Midcard guy in WWE and probably has made a ton of money from the independents, signings and his WWE appearances/merchandise etc etc. I can't feel sorry for the high end guys like that because they only have themselves to blame for all of this.

I don't have a Honky Tonk Man story but something that happened to me when I was 15 and really bothers me is Raven got booked for a card here in Australia he was in TNA at the time so he was getting that pay cheque pretty regularly. He was here for a weekend and I went up for it with a family friend because it was about 4 hours away. We attend the show and prior to the show there was a meet and greet that cost 10 dollars. With the Meet and Greet ticket you got to meet Raven and get a photograph and a maximum of I believe 3 autographs from him. You needed a show ticket as well which was another 15 so I spent about 25 dollars on this. I liked Raven from TNA and had some stuff for him to sign. I get in there I wait around 10 minutes and get to meet him.

I go up to him we exchange pleasantries and he immediately gives me his pitch. It was basically "I have people buy these 8X10's of me for 15 dollars so they don't eBay what I sign for them or anything like that. If you buy one of my 8X10's I'll sign whatever else you have for free" obviously I'm there only to meet Raven and I don't want to argue with the guy so I hand over 15 bucks for the 8X10. He signs the 8X10 to me and I take my 3 items out which were a couple of DVD's and my Death of WCW book (Items I clearly wasn't selling) I believe he signed the book and one DVD and said I had to buy another 8X10 for him to sign my remaining item because he had already signed three. Me being an idiot buys another 8X10 he signs that and my remaining DVD before trying to sell me a 30 dollar T-Shirt as well. He was someone I really liked in TNA and he scammed a 15 year old kid. It's kind of messed up and I don't like him anywhere near as much as I used to. He really didn't HAVE to hustle me either because he was in TNA at the time and I'm sure they were looking after him (This was around 2007)

Anyway. As he pockets my 30 bucks I see this fanny pack filled with 10's and 5's from other people he'd pulled this same scam on. He definitely had at least a couple hundred bucks in there and I was relatively early in the line. He wasn't really that nice either looking back on it all, wasn't unfriendly but I definitely got the vibe he was just there for the money. After he got done signing stuff it was time for pictures and he was charging 25 bucks to pose with you (With the promotions own camera) I assume it was split 10 for Raven 15 for the company but 25 is really steep for a simple polaroid picture.

Afterwards Raven works for about 2-3 minutes total in the main event (Tag match) and rolls out almost immediately after his match, climbs the guardrail and sells merchandise at the show merch table making my meet and greet ticket worthless. I think back to that day and you figure Raven probably made about 2-3 grand that night if you include his appearance fee and his merchandise scam. Not a bad nights work but I lost a shitload of respect for him.

Sabu however (Who I had met earlier that month) was great. Not very talkative but he said hey, shook my hand, signed my stuff (He wasn't selling any merchandise) and after the show he signed one item for free for anyone who didn't have the meet and greet ticket and posed for pictures. Class act.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts