Wrestling Forum banner

Merriam-Webster adds the nonbinary pronoun 'they' to its dictionary

4486 98
More info on Singular 'They'
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/singular-nonbinary-they

They and I are having a conversation. :quite

I agree with "officially" making singular 'they' apart of our everyday lexicon. I know in some instances, people already use singular 'they' when they're having a conversation about a person and gender identity is not desired to be revealed at the time.
Merriam-Webster has officially added the nonbinary pronoun "they" as an entry in its dictionary.

Merriam-Webster announced Tuesday that the word "they" can be used to refer to a single person whose gender identity is nonbinary along with three other separate definitions.

Merriam-Webster uses the word in a sentence as an example: "I knew certain things about ... the person I was interviewing.... They had adopted their gender-neutral name a few years ago, when they began to consciously identify as nonbinary -- that is, neither male nor female. They were in their late 20s, working as an event planner, applying to graduate school."

Merriam-Webster acknowledges that "they" consistently has been used a singular pronoun since the late 1300s. While adopting the pronoun as a nonbinary description is vastly preferable for some, Merriam-Webster says, there has also been some debate that it is ungrammatical.

"Much has been written on they, and we aren't going to attempt to cover it here," a post on the dictionary's website reads.

Merriam-Webster also notes it has evidence in its files of the nonbinary "they" dating back to 1950, and that it's likely there are earlier uses of the nonbinary pronoun out there.

Merriam-Webster's latest batch of updates includes 533 new words and meanings added to the dictionary.

"Words can come and go in a language, but those that show staying power and increasing use need to be recorded and described," reads a statement from Merriam-Webster.

Some of the other newly added words and terms include:

Deep state
Escape room
Colorism
Bechdel test
Autogenic training
Pain point
Rhoticity
Dad joke

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/17/us/m...OuR-tF6iIe4_1qsZiCTTh2JDwihLqKbJbQW-DYJ3-RILk
Reactions: Reaper
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

· The Empire will Reign again
18,485 Posts
Dad joke is just now added wtf

i don't know what some of these words mean :hmm
Me neither but that's why they're in the dictionary

:jericho2

I know this is kinda messed up of me but if somebody tells me their pronoun is anything other than he/she I would just not talk to them anymore.

· Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,765 Posts
Me neither but that's why they're in the dictionary

:jericho2

I know this is kinda messed up of me but if somebody tells me their pronoun is anything other than he/she I would just not talk to them anymore.
I just use they, that way you never make a mistake. If they get offended by that, they can go fuck themselves.

18,485 Posts
I just use they, that way you never make a mistake. If they get offended by that, they can go fuck themselves.
So there's this trans YouTuber Contrapoints that brought up a great point: society is making it not okay to acknowledge gender while trans people are trying to get recognized as their presenting gender. If you spent your whole life feeling like a "she" and now you finally look like a "she", the last thing you want is for somebody to call you "they" or to have people ask you your pronoun.

· The Sundance Kid
48,275 Posts
I've only known one person who insisted on being identified as "they", and she was the single most obnoxious person I've ever met in my life. :lol

Though I have spent time with a few people who I'd heard second-hand identified as "they", and they were chill and never brought it up. I tried to avoid gender pronouns when addressing them as I didn't want to offend someone who had never tried to offend me. I slipped up a few times, but it was never addressed and they don't seem to harbor resentment over it as we continue to be on good terms, as far as I'm aware.

· Premium Member
2,935 Posts
I mean, like they said, "they" has been used in the singular for literally centuries. If people are bothered by it, they are losers making a big deal out of nothing tbh :shrug

· Registered
4,188 Posts
I find the idea of non-binary problematic because it implies that most other people are binary. Who isn't non-binary? Who in the world has exclusively masculine or feminine traits?

I'm a man who has some feminine aspects to his personality - I quite enjoy soap opera, for example - does that mean I should be calling myself a non-binary? Is calling me "he" misgendering me? To do so would feel like attention seeking, like screaming "I'm special, pay attention to me".

You can't blame the dictionary for including it though. They're there to describe how people use words, not prescribe how they should use them. English isn't like French, there's no central authority saying what words are legitimate and what aren't. "Dad Joke" seems like something that should be in Urban Dictionary than a real dictionary though.

· Registered
10,446 Posts
This post immediately made me think of this lol

Reactions: TripleG

18,485 Posts
I mean, like they said, "they" has been used in the singular for literally centuries. If people are bothered by it, they are losers making a big deal out of nothing tbh :shrug
For centuries people haven't been going "My name is Rain and I identify as a enby transgender demisexual and my preferred pronoun is 'they'".

· E:16
6,765 Posts
Definitely agree that you're a loser if it bothers you what someone chooses as a pronoun. Being a normally cool dude doesn't save you from that.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.