Wrestling Forum banner

Menthol/Newport Ban

493 10
It does not affect me one bit if they ban menthol ciggarettes. But is this not a prime example of a law that would disproportionately affect black folks? I mean, I have met 2 black smokers in my life who smoked non menthols, while the rest smoked either Ports or Kools. i am not trying to be a smartass, genuinely asking why people are so for this.
  • Helpful
Reactions: Trivette
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· "If I can't f*** shit up I don't wanna live!"
Octopus Worshipper
919 Posts
Menthol’s a way to make the tobacco artificially taste better (assuming you like mint) and their reasoning is that kids trying the menthol flavors are more likely to get hooked. But you’re right, it’s going to disproportionately effect Black smokers as a demographic and will open them up to more over-policing of petty crimes, so the trade there is ill-considered (by a society that often aggressively reject the entire concept of systemic racism even existing.)

· The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
7,649 Posts
It does not affect me one bit if they ban menthol ciggarettes. But is this not a prime example of a law that would disproportionately affect black folks? I mean, I have met 2 black smokers in my life who smoked non menthols, while the rest smoked either Ports or Kools. i am not trying to be a smartass, genuinely asking why people are so for this.
You might be surprised to find out that there are many laws that favor black people (hello, affirmative action!) while there is not a single one that discriminates against them. The more you know!

· Registered
10,436 Posts
I don't really care about the cigarettes as I dont smoke. However they are trying to ban flavored cigars with this too. Occasionally I'll smoke a Drew Estate Java Mint or an Acid as something different. I'm not a fan of this.

· Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You might be surprised to find out that there are many laws that favor black people (hello, affirmative action!) while there is not a single one that discriminates against them. The more you know!

knock it off dude im trying to use their logic against em! lol

I don't really care about the cigarettes as I dont smoke. However they are trying to ban flavored cigars with this too. Occasionally I'll smoke a Drew Estate Java Mint or an Acid as something different. I'm not a fan of this.

dog they better not ban skoal if they ban skoal im buying like 12 sleeves and holding up like im freaking david koresh

· Registered
5,135 Posts
Shouldn't they just ban all cigarettes in general then? I don't get the ban on just menthols. Frankly I don't know how you can get addicted to cigarettes anyway shit is just disgusting to me.
It's probably a lot easier to chip away at availability than a straight up immediate ban. First menthols, then probably certain sizes, how many can be sold in 1 transaction, higher taxes and so on.

People are bringing up this affecting blacks, it will also affect women as well. Oh well, it's a disgusting habit anyway.

· Registered
6,562 Posts
Shouldn't they just ban all cigarettes in general then? I don't get the ban on just menthols. Frankly I don't know how you can get addicted to cigarettes anyway shit is just disgusting to me.
That day might be here eventually. Of course you need to replace the tax dollars tobacco brings in. I could see that when they legalize marijuana on the federal level and start getting tax money there.

· Registered
2,710 Posts
Menthol’s a way to make the tobacco artificially taste better (assuming you like mint) and their reasoning is that kids trying the menthol flavors are more likely to get hooked.
Kids don't even try to smoke cigarettes now anyways. They have their vapes glued to their fucking mouths where they can just hit it anywhere 100 times instead of going outside to smoke

If they really wanted to try this, they're about 15 years late

1 - 11 of 11 Posts