Wrestling Forum banner

Meltzer's relationship with the WWE

2362 Views 24 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Cobalt
Meltzer clearly has plenty of inside knowledge that he gets from someone on the inside at any given point in time, but it seems weird that Vince would allow someone to tell Meltzer their plans often months in advance, so is there just always someone who sneaks info to him or does Vince just have no problem with Meltzer knowing their plans? I know very little about his relationship with the company/Vince, any info on that would be good
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· #WoodwardOut #LUHG
16,262 Posts
Iirc Dave worked with the fed briefly in the early nineties and has spoken to vince several times over the years

As for the source thing there's plenty in all levels in the fed, vince is smart enough to know it's a losing battle trying to stop stuff from getting out unlike those clowns dixie and steph that want to search phones and have lie detector tests

· Banned
14,756 Posts
They definitely use Meltzer at this point. They purposely make sure certain things are leaked to him. But then you can tell when it's serious stuff like Daniel Bryan or the entire Punk situation dating back to the Summer of Punk, where not even Meltzer had or has any idea what's going on.

He's been doing this for over 20 years, he's got his sources.

· Registered
15,747 Posts
People inside WWE feed him stuff..stuff Vince or hhh/Stephanie doesn't want you to know

Dave lagana former head writer was a famous mole who gave away secrets. Eventually Stephanie ratted him out though

WWE have over 1,000 people employed so of course news will leak, look how quick former head writers set up online after leaving WWE

Hilariously one of Meltzers biggest sources of TNA insider news was dixie herself for a long time

· Banned
2,007 Posts
Wrestling is pretty damn easy to predict. Anyone with a concept of sense could call the things he does. And when millions of fucking retards choose to argue with him without actually arguing with him, it only generates him more attention.

So essentially the guy could really have zero sources, and be the greatest troll of all time. I like to think that's the case.

· Premium Member
20,587 Posts
I remember listening to WO Radio a while back and Meltzer was asked how often he speaks to Vince. Can't remember exactly what he said (in regards to how recent) but he did say they occasionally talk.

I think he's one of those people that you can't keep information from, because he's forged so many relationships in the business and in that company, having done so longer than I've been alive. So I'd imagine Vince intentionally feeds him bullshit every now & then (March 2014 return of Punk, with the intention of drawing interest) but also feeds him real information because if he doesn't, somebody else will and their version might not be as sanitized and protective of the company.

· Welcome To The Jungle
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wrestling is pretty damn easy to predict. Anyone with a concept of sense could call the things he does. And when millions of fucking retards choose to argue with him without actually arguing with him, it only generates him more attention.

So essentially the guy could really have zero sources, and be the greatest troll of all time. I like to think that's the case.
WWE is very easy to predict but Meltzer has info on things that won't happen for months, just wanted to know if Vince was cool with it or not, looks like he's okay with it and realizes he can't stop it anyway

· Banned
1,396 Posts
He definitely has sources who keep him updated on events behind the scenes. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets deliberate disinformation every now and then. I don't know about Vince and his inner circle, but I have no doubt that there are people within NXT who keep up with the Observer and some of the other "dirtsheets" who keep Triple H informed as to what they are saying.

· Registered
6,064 Posts
I remember listening to WO Radio a while back and Meltzer was asked how often he speaks to Vince. Can't remember exactly what he said (in regards to how recent) but he did say they occasionally talk.

I think he's one of those people that you can't keep information from, because he's forged so many relationships in the business and in that company, having done so longer than I've been alive. So I'd imagine Vince intentionally feeds him bullshit every now & then (March 2014 return of Punk, with the intention of drawing interest) but also feeds him real information because if he doesn't, somebody else will and their version might not be as sanitized and protective of the company.
Actually, Meltzer said he didn't believe the Punk rumor himself on Observer Live.

On topic, Meltzer definitely has his sources in WWE. He was the first one to report about Cena/Wyatt, Cena/Rusev happening, and he broke many stories for WWE. Add that in with the fact that he's been a guest on wrestlers podcasts, and has had wrestlers on his show many times, shows that the man knows what he's talking about.

· Banned
6,921 Posts

It's become common when people want to discredit any and all dirtsheet writers to hear bad arguments such as saying that any average random schome could predict what Dave reports, but the truth is, you couldn't. You would literally have to be either a psychic or the luckiest person alive to repeatedly make accurate "guesses" when it comes to the things he reports. Some random fan is not gonna become as accurate and well-respected and revered as Meltzer has been for the last 30+ years just by making guesstimates as to where a simple wrestling storyline is headed.

· The Last Dragon
15,299 Posts

· Banned
8,573 Posts
It's Bull Dempsey. He gives him info for candy bars and chips. :jericho2
Imagine if that was true. I do think there's a legit mole in WWE I think they tried to find out who it was but couldn't

· Registered
1,688 Posts
Meh, Richard Gray has a far better hit rate nowadays. Meltzer just states the obvious, and tries making stories out of it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.