Velveteen Dream v. EC3 - ** 3/4

Adam Cole v. Ricochet - **** 1/2

Kairi Sane v. Shayna Baszler - *** 1/2

Tomasso Ciampa v. Johnny Gargano - **** 1/2

Cole pulling in that **** 1/2 rating

·
Registered
138 Posts
I basically agree with all of it, except I gave the women's match ****. I thought it was the best women's match in NXT since Asuka/Moon.

But yeah, three matches that earned ****1/2 stars on a 5 match card goes to show how awesome this Takeover was.

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
52,366 Posts
Not that we need Meltzer's ratings to show it, but a few people thought this TO wasn't up to par with TO's of the past? It was a much better show than SS in terms of match quality. I'd take the tag match, Cole/Ric, and Gargano/Ciampa over any of the matches at SS. And two of those matches have already happened at multiple TO's in the past (Tag match & Gargano/Ciampa).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not that we need Meltzer's ratings to show it, but a few people thought this TO wasn't up to par with TO's of the past? It was a much better show than SS in terms of match quality. I'd take the tag match, Cole/Ric, and Gargano/Ciampa over any of the matches at SS. And two of those matches have already happened at multiple TO's in the past (Tag match & Gargano/Ciampa).
I thought this show was quite better than Chicago II and on par with Philadelphia. Not sure how someone can think this Takeover wasn't one of the best we've seen.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It did feel a bit weak, but then again a weak NXT TakeOver is usually always better than an average main roster PPV.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I’m going to rewatch the best 3 matches to put a final rating on them but watching love it felt like.

Tag match - ****1/2
Cole v Richohet ****1/4
Gargano v Ciampa - ****

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Tomasso Ciampa v. Johnny Gargano is too high, while I liked it, it was most certainly the weakest of all their matches. The rest I kind of agre with

·
Registered
996 Posts
Disagreed majorly on the Sane vs Baszler rating. Match was amazing. The Pirate Princess(Queen) is just amazing nowadays. Selling, facial expressions, everything. Baszler only losing by what appeared to be a fluke is kind of a downer though. Her being mostly dominant was fitting and gave Kairi some really good babyface time, so it works.

·
THE CORPOLUTIONSTRY
1,994 Posts
Generally agree. I think I'd personally rate the main event at 4* even, but I really don't like the LMS concept so it's pretty hard for me to rate any of those matches very high. They did as much as possible with that stipulation and did a great job, but it was definitely not anywhere near the quality of the last two encounters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Generally agree. I think I'd personally rate the main event at 4* even, but I really don't like the LMS concept so it's pretty hard for me to rate any of those matches very high. They did as much as possible with that stipulation and did a great job, but it was definitely not anywhere near the quality of the last two encounters.
Really? I thought it was better than their match in Chicago. I thought the storytelling in the LMS match was exceptional without sacrificing any action/violence. Not to mention that I need to give them props for taking a very hard gimmick to work with and knocking it out of the park.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
When is the last time a main roster card had three 4.5 star matches on it?
Or two?
Or even one?
The last one with three 4.5* matches was not within the last ten years and I don't feel like looking any farther back.

The last one with two 4.5* matches was '17 Royal Rumble: Cena v Styles 4.75* and Owens v Reigns 4.5*

The last 4.5* match was '17 SummerSlam: Lesner v Joe v Reigns v Strowman 4.75*

FYI: The last 5* match for the MR was '11 Money in the Bank: Punk v Cena
WWE = 5
ROH = 4
NXT = 3
WCW = 3
ECW = 1
TNA = 1

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
The last one with three 4.5* matches was not within the last ten years and I don't feel like looking any farther back.

The last one with two 4.5* matches was '17 Royal Rumble: Cena v Styles 4.75* and Owens v Reigns 4.5*

lol.
The sad part is that all these matches are no where near that level, ***1/2 for the best of them.

·
Custom User Title
3,285 Posts

FYI: The last 5* match for the MR was '11 Money in the Bank: Punk v Cena
WWE = 5
ROH = 4
NXT = 3
WCW = 3
ECW = 1
TNA = 1
I appreciate this.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I appreciate this.
Thanks. Obviously though it's just the PPVs, I'm sure the weekly shows don't get high stars often.

I did notice some trends looking through 10 year of PPV ratings. Most matches get 3.5* but on almost every PPV there is a 4.25* or a 4* match sometimes several on the bigger PPVs. The Royal Rumble and the Survivor Series specialty matches always get shitty ratings except for the Batista Rumble win and Cena's return win. Most MitB ladder matches get 4* or above. This year the rating have been pretty bad but from '17 on back a few they weren't terrible and the best matches have involved Roman, Cena or Lesner in their various feuds. There was a time earlier this decade where it looked like the PPVs were straight garbage. Several matches on the cards getting less than 2*. Like not even squash matches either, actual matches getting 1/2* but towards where I stopped in '08 they were getting good reviews again. So it seems like it goes in cycles. The matches are good for a few years and then they suck for a while, pick back up for a bit and then suck again. Looks like we may be at the beginning of a suck cycle.

We shall see.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Meltzer always values spots and MOVES~ over anything, so obviously matches chock-full of those will get his 'prestigious' high snowflake ratings.

It's his opinion, don't really get why they're taken as gospel by anyone.

Let's see how many people take mine seriously:

TUE vs Moustaches - ***3/4-****
Dream vs EC3 - *1/4
Cole vs Ricochet - ****
Shayna vs Kairi - ***
Ciampa vs Gargano - ***1/2

So yeah, it was one of the weaker Takeovers in a while (I'd say the weakest since Chicago I, which is mad overrated imo) and the lesser of the four Brooklyn shows so far, but it was still an overall really strong show with 4 out of 5 matches being at least good, two of them totally great.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Meltzer always values spots and MOVES~ over anything, so obviously matches chock-full of those will get his 'prestigious' high snowflake ratings.

It's his opinion, don't really get why they're taken as gospel by anyone.

Let's see how many people take mine seriously:

TUE vs Moustaches - ***3/4-****
Dream vs EC3 - *1/4
Cole vs Ricochet - ****
Shayna vs Kairi - ***
Ciampa vs Gargano - ***1/2

So yeah, it was one of the weaker Takeovers in a while (I'd say the weakest since Chicago I, which is mad overrated imo) and the lesser of the four Brooklyn shows so far, but it was still an overall really strong show with 4 out of 5 matches being at least good, two of them totally great.
Way, way too harsh and thought it was the best of the Brooklyn Takeovers, but that's jut my opinion. You're entitled to yours, of course, just like either myself or Meltzer is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts