Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm willing to accept this is a bit off topic, but I just don't get this dude.

Since I joined this forum about 8 months ago I've seen various wee "gems" of news from the above, and I've gradually come to see that on the most part they're all nonsense.

These days when I see something posted with Meltzer quoted as the source I instantly think "I wonder how long it'll be till he turns out to be wrong about this".

So I was wondering if I'm wrong about him. Does he get anything right? There must be a reason why people still take his info with some sort of credit. Does he just not like TNA? Or is he just as wrong about WWE stuff?

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
He gets more right than many but that's hardly worth bragging about. Basically if you see a dirtsheet report just assume it's wrong, the alternative is that it's so obvious to anyone that you didn't need the report in the first place.

His match ratings seem to his main selling point. Again, I don't really take them seriously but a lot of people do. That in itself isn't a bad thing, what people need to realise is that he has a standard by which he judges a match which may be very different from your own and use it as a guideline rather than gospel; as long as he's consitant you can do that.

·
Premium Member
44,198 Posts
I hate how people take his word as gospel. I've had people argue with me that I was wrong about a match because Meltzer gave it so & so star rating. WHAT?! Who the hell made him an authority over me in deciding which matches I like? He's never taken a bump, been trained, or worked a match, so how does he know more than me or anybody else here?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Meltzer got a lot of inside sources/relationships develop over many years of covering pro wrestling/mma. If me gets things wrong its beacause the plan got change.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,993 Posts
TNA's approach to business is infamously scattergun and disorganised.

Eric Young can be completely gone one day and re-hired three days later. It doesn't make Meltzer "wrong". He's only reporting things as and when they happen.

·
Registered
11,655 Posts
Things change everyday in the wrestling business. Like for example, TNA was almost out of business but got saved by Panda. Meltzer reports TNA is going out of business because at the time it was true,even Jeff Jarrett admitted this on the TNA dvd. Of course, people in the TNA section always bring this up to argue against Meltzer.

Meltzer been an insider for almost 30 years. He had contact with everyone in the business. People come to him when they need a story to get out or trying to send hidden messages. Meltzer is a great writer though, his bio's is AMAZING. He is more about rumors, he is the full package. Radio shows,bio's,etc. Yahoo didn't hired him for nothing.

Bischoff loves to talk shit about Meltzer but he was calling him and telling him shit around 2000 and 2001. Now all of a sudden, he's not reliable?

I think people like to confuse Bryan and Meltzer with each other as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts