Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was a little surprised e-commerce sales shot up and the network increased paid subscribers by several thousand. Particularly in light of talent being absent and television viewership collapsing However, many people have been sitting at home and online sales & streaming have entered a golden age so maybe not so surprising after all.

The net income isn't shocking due to the television rights deal already in place and no travelling.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Just for reference the live mlb game last night on ESPN did 0.25 in 18-49 demo and 752,0000 viewers.

Mlb make $2 billion a year from US tv money which makes WWEs tv deal look like chump change in comparison

Lots of companies have The coronavirus outbreak has triggered unprecedented mass layoffs and furloughs. Here are the major companies that have announced they are downsizing their workforces.

A big % of Facebook revenue wasn't live ticket sales and merch
I know lots of companies have, but also lots of companies chose not to. I am sure some had no choice but to lay off, that's not the case with WWE. They didn't have to. That's the whole point I am trying to make.

I wasn't the one who brought up FB as an example. But since you bring live gate up, UFC firmly chose not to layoff and their profits highly rely on live gate.

Besides the quote from Meltzer literally says: "Lots of factors, but they saved tons in producing at PC and multiple shows together." They dont have the profits from gate but they are also saving tons from production cost standpoint and arena rents.

IDR the exact percentage they quoted, but it was reported that the percentage they saved from releasing talents was minuscule and they would have been profitable regardless.

Clearly they let go of the talent they knew was useless to them at that point in time not because the pandemic was hurting their business, but because they were overpaying alot of these wrestlers that they weren't even using. They chose to release them during the pandemic because they knew there was no competition they could go to. Indies are shut down, NJPW is off limits and AEW/Impact can only hire so many. They even tried to rehire most of the fired wrestlers on a much smaller pay scale.

If thats not a scummy business move IDK what is.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Just for reference the live mlb game last night on ESPN did 0.25 in 18-49 demo and 752,0000 viewers.

Mlb make $2 billion a year from US tv money which makes WWEs tv deal look like chump change in comparison
Still, the lower the WWE numbers go, the more it makes you question why the TV networks wouldn't just look at much cheaper options like MLW, ROH, AEW, iMPACT etc. Or a combination of all of them packaged into 2-3 hour blocks. The sports organisations possess a monopoly WWE doesn't have in the empty arena era. That's not to say WWE isn't sitting on a huge amount of money they can use. But that only stretches so far when nostalgia seems to be their most valuable asset.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Another article on it..

But yeah, they've cut costs to make the numbers. Kinda like if you managed to increase the amount of cash in your pocket by selling your car and riding a bike everywhere. You've not really made any more money. You've just reduced the amount you spend.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Makes one wonder how much under the table money was being exchanged on the road for live shows to contractors for cost savings to be above estimations by this amount.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I know lots of companies have, but also lots of companies chose not to. I am sure some had no choice but to lay off, that's not the case with WWE. They didn't have to. That's the whole point I am trying to make.

I wasn't the one who brought up FB as an example. But since you bring live gate up, UFC firmly chose not to layoff and their profits highly rely on live gate.

Besides the quote from Meltzer literally says: "Lots of factors, but they saved tons in producing at PC and multiple shows together." They dont have the profits from gate but they are also saving tons from production cost standpoint and arena rents.

IDR the exact percentage they quoted, but it was reported that the percentage they saved from releasing talents was minuscule and they would have been profitable regardless.

Clearly they let go of the talent they knew was useless to them at that point in time not because the pandemic was hurting their business, but because they were overpaying alot of these wrestlers that they weren't even using. They chose to release them during the pandemic because they knew there was no competition they could go to. Indies are shut down, NJPW is off limits and AEW/Impact can only hire so many. They even tried to rehire most of the fired wrestlers on a much smaller pay scale.

If thats not a scummy business move IDK what is.
Are you referring to fighters or people behind the scenes? I remember Bryan Alvarez comparing WWE's cuts to the UFC not cutting fighters during the pandemic (which they have by the way) and quite frankly its a really ignorant comparision. UFC fighters don't have a yearly salary, they get paid per fight, if for whatever reason the UFC does not offer them 3 bouts in 12 months they do get paid something but needless to say they were not losing money because of fighter payroll when they were shutdown, and cutting fighters doesn't effect profits unlike the way WWE's contracts work.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Are you referring to fighters or people behind the scenes? I remember Bryan Alvarez comparing WWE's cuts to the UFC not cutting fighters during the pandemic (which they have by the way) and quite frankly its a really ignorant comparision. UFC fighters don't have a yearly salary, they get paid per fight, if for whatever reason the UFC does not offer them 3 bouts in 12 months they do get paid something but needless to say they were not losing money because of fighter payroll when they were shutdown, and cutting fighters doesn't effect profits unlike the way WWE's contracts work.
I didn't know that.

The point remains, WWE were also not losing any money to the point of not being profitable in 2020 because of wrestlers payroll.

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
Just imagine, how much more it could have been if they cut the true dead weight. Over payed, feather beaded, useless "executives."

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
WWE: You are an essential service for Florida and part of the family... until they need to satisfy stockholders by finding the necessary revenue for dividends while still hitting their profit margins.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Also is this the sign that house shows don't matter anymore?
They matter to revenue, not to profit. House shows were (slightly) losing money lately, so by cutting house shows they lose ti revenue but actually raise profitability. Another factor is eliminating house shows powers wrestler salaries - possibly a lot in the short term.

·
Registered
446 Posts
this kind of makes wonder if maybe they will just continue doing some episodes of there shows at the performance center even when things start to get more normal

·
Registered
20 Posts
Crazy. Just imagine how much more revenue they would have had if they put the title and more spotlight on Seth.

·
Smokin' Da Good Stuff
2,593 Posts
Dont Take Scarface Dave at his word, his head is so far up The Young Bucks ass.

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Good thing they made all those cuts. Didn't think they were gonna survive..........

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
this kind of makes wonder if maybe they will just continue doing some episodes of there shows at the performance center even when things start to get more normal
WWE should plan on running in the PC through the end of 2020 at minimum, and likely through 2021. It’s the most financially prudent thing for them to do in the short term.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts