Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
The EST of NXT
28,575 Posts
I think exactly what you said: he's just an entrance, just a meme. He does nothing for me as a performer. I haven't been invested in him since Beer Money in TNA. The match with Drew wasn't even second best on the card. It got shown up by AOP's tag match and Ember vs. Asuka, which should have main evented. They should've learned from their mistake of not letting Sasha vs. Bayley main event when they had the most momentum two years ago. That was easily the hottest program going into the card, with the suspense of Asuka's streak hanging in the balance. Adam Cole's debut was the only saving grace from a hype perspective.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think it is a given personally. He works the WWE style, he has the character they can translate across easily, the look; if Vince was creating a wrestler he'd tick most boxes. Age isn't too much of a issue when you look at the age of AJ. The entrance is the icing on the cake that will introduce him well. I don't think he is going to win match of the year awards or be stellar, but he is the dream ticket for what Vince wants.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,117 Posts
He's a great heel, and has a really nice old school way to his work. Sure, his match with Drew wasn't great, but I think they just didn't gel well. He had an excellent match last Takeover with Itami, and also had a great match with Nakamura as well. He smart in his work, in that you don't necessarily want to cheer for him, instead the babyface is allowed to be the one to show-off their moves more, and thus get over.

I'll be happy if he's a big force on the main roster for a few years.

·
C Mac G
5,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it is a given personally. He works the WWE style, he has the character they can translate across easily, the look; if Vince was creating a wrestler he'd tick most boxes. Age isn't too much of a issue when you look at the age of AJ. The entrance is the icing on the cake that will introduce him well. I don't think he is going to win match of the year awards or be stellar, but he is the dream ticket for what Vince wants.
I think Age is less of an issue with him especially since his style isn't really reliant on extraordinary athletic ability. He can wrestle his style for 10 more years if he really wanted too.

That's the benefit of being a more character driven guy.

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
He was a great heel champion in TNA. I can certainly see him getting a long title reign somewhere down the line.

·
it's a tarp!
4,972 Posts
The only time I've ever been really interested in Bobby Roode was when he was feuding/teaming with Austin Aries in TNA, which was great.

Roode has a very specific ability of 'lessening' every thing he touches.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Roode is one of those guys I've wanted to like for the longest time, way back in his TNA days, he is extremely good in the ring and has a good promo and is believable, but I just don't care about him, on occasion he makes me want to see people beat him up, but nothing major. As good as he is at everything, to me in most cases he is just boring and can't carry a feud by himself, I need to have someone I am invested in against him to care. Not a hard time seeing how he is so many peoples favorite, I just can't personally feel anything for him most of the time, which is a shame

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
I mentioned this in another thread, but Bobby seems to work less to impress the fans but to impress HHH in Gorilla. Also he carries himself like a star, a long time vet, works a main event safe style and is an old school guy who will easily fit in the lockerroom. He's also very solid and comfortable on the mic.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'm disappointed to know some aren't invested in Booby Roode like they should be. I have to agree with Dave here, Roode has really taken NXT to the next level. I've yet to see a bad match by him and hopefully won't. Right now his stock is at the top, it will make sense if he's thrown straight in the title picture in the main roster. The only worry for me is will the RAW/SD fans accept him, I mean NXT fans are hardcore fans aka indy fans and they appreciate talent like it should be appreciated. To be on the safe side I would put him in the IC / US title picture and move him up from there

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I think Age is less of an issue with him especially since his style isn't really reliant on extraordinary athletic ability. He can wrestle his style for 10 more years if he really wanted too.

That's the benefit of being a more character driven guy.
And that is exactly what they want on the main roster, more characters. Another plus as well is he has transitioned more to little aspects of Flair coupled with his own personality over being HHH lite like how he came across in TNA.

·
Banned
6,709 Posts
He does nothing for me as in-ring worker.
Then you've got a lot of wrestling to go back to and watch. Roode is one of the best technicians in the game today. Saying otherwise is a just bastard thing to say.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts