Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a lot of their tweets flood my TL, a good chunk of Kenny's stuff seems like a work but then there's the rest where he brings up Meltzer's star ratings which only makes you cringe. We know you're one of the top two in the world Kenny, there's no need for you to bring up someones opinion to prove it... you're not a mark, you're a wrestler...

Then there's Meltzer who tweets stuff like this and is daily getting gotten to by WWE marks... and you see responses like this from him..

Tweet on Rollins which came off snobby after the Ibushi tweet.

Best sports entertainers in Reseda

Kenny

Possibly in character

Probably in character

Jericho with the sick burn :lol

Kenny's likes...

Still love Kenny, but he needs to tone it down on social media and for the love of god drop the Meltzer love/rating shit. It makes him look a huge mark/geek. This is shit fans talk about not the wrestlers. Do you think the likes of Cena, AJ, Reigns etc. are talking about Meltzer ratings or even acknowledging Meltzer as much as him or the Bucks for validation... Let your work speak for itself... which it does..

Young Bucks

Could be working, but difficult to say with the way they've reacted on SM before.

Possible work

There were a few other cringey tweets where The Bucks expressed they were pissed about the cease and desist which seemed to have been deleted.

Love Kenny and respect Meltzer's work for the industry, but it's hard to ignore shit like this when it pops up so frequently in your timeline.

I hate Roman Reigns, but he holds himself far better than all of them online although there have been a few occasions where he has made a fool himself, within the confines of kayfabe though.

There's such a thing as forcing your opinion on others and showing rather than telling how great you are.

·
WF's resident Big Dog
8,098 Posts
lol what losers

I knew it you bastard! You turned your back on Kenny! Its about time you gonna say Roman is better than Kenny. I can feel it :eek:kada
He's already called Roman the MVP this year so not far away :shrug

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I knew it you bastard! You turned your back on Kenny! Its about time you gonna say Roman is better than Kenny. I can feel it :eek:kada
I love Kenny but you can't deny that's cringey af....

There's no reason for him to respond to his haters or push Meltzer's opinion as hard as they do.

I cringed when Ricochet brought up getting his first 5* match on twitter and even changed his header to 5*... fpalm

·
Wheel Man for SCOTT STEINER
5,600 Posts
Following Meltzer on twitter is great fun. I don't care for gossip, his star ratings or podcasts/journals. But his twitter game is superb. Fights the good fight and always has the best retort for someone going in over their head.

With the Bucks and Omega, bit harder. Omega has it spot-on that people want him there but give him shit because he isn't. I can't tell which of the Young Bucks is a mark but one of them. The other one is generally sound. I think what hurts Omega on twitter is that he doesn't know how to retort to Jericho's stuff.

But alas, people gotta accept this is the business of today and of the future. Social media wars. Don't work yourself into a shoot thinking you are above it. If they are getting people to give them a try through social media, that's business at work. And everyone needs to do what they can to help their social media profile.

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Following Meltzer on twitter is great fun. I don't care for gossip, his star ratings or podcasts/journals. But his twitter game is superb. Fights the good fight and always has the best retort for someone going in over their head.

With the Bucks and Omega, bit harder. Omega has it spot-on that people want him there but give him shit because he isn't. I can't tell which of the Young Bucks is a mark but one of them. The other one is generally sound. I think what hurts Omega on twitter is that he doesn't know how to retort to Jericho's stuff.

But alas, people gotta accept this is the business of today and of the future. Social media wars. Don't work yourself into a shoot thinking you are above it. If they are getting people to give them a try through social media, that's business at work. And everyone needs to do what they can to help their social media profile.
That's the thing, why the fuck would you put Meltzer on a pedestal and use his ratings to prove you're the best (shouldn't really bring it up, but when you do keep it in character). In kayfabe the best is the one who wins the most matches, wins titles and headlines shows. Why on earth is star ratings relevant to wrestlers? You're essentially breaking character to bring them up.

Jericho's response really was perfect to the star ratings. No idea how you come back from that :lol

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,034 Posts
I love Kenny but you can't deny that's cringey af....

There's no reason for him to respond to his haters or push Meltzer's opinion as hard as they do.

I cringed when Ricochet brought up getting his first 5* match on twitter and even changed his header to 5* fpalm...
As of October 2017, if you are a Kenny Omega fan, the guy that has merch that says 'The Best Bout Machine', the guy that made his big jump in popularity in North America by the help of Dave Meltzer's (and his rating system) endorsements; you have to accept this tweets and all. Its stupid but its also Kenny's selling point. He is supposed to be the best in ring performer in the biz. He needs those dem STARZ. Yeah he is mark. He has been a mark for more than 10 years now. Every single wrestler that done it this long and this much is mark in todays world. If they were not, they would have changed careers long time ago.

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As of October 2017, if you are a Kenny Omega fan, the guy that has merch that says 'The Best Bout Machine', the guy that made his big jump in popularity in North America by the help of Dave Meltzer's (and his rating system) endorsements; you have to accept this tweets and all. Its stupid but its also Kenny's selling point. Yeah he is mark. He has been a mark for more than 10 years now. Every single wrestler that done it this long and this much is mark in todays world. If they were not, they would have changed careers long time ago.
As someone who enjoys watching anime, I like his anime villain character work. It's only really his stuff on social media and the odd Meltzer reference he has made on TV that has me thinking "Okay...".

I remember Kenny bringing up Meltzer's ratings in one the build up shows for his match against Sanada, he said something along the lines of being pissed if Sanada affected his average Meltzer star rating. Like, shouldn't he be wanting to beat Sanada quickly? Why bring them up and give publicity to Dave...

As for flip flopping, I'm not a blind mark and can call cringey stuff like this out or take kayfabe lines without being triggered. Jinder called AJ a loser, and tbf to Jinder he had a point :draper2

AJ has been losing a lot.

·
5,600 Posts
That's the thing, why the fuck would you put Meltzer on a pedestal and use his ratings to prove you're the best (shouldn't really bring it up, but when you do keep it in character). In kayfabe the best is the one who wins the most matches, wins titles and headlines shows. Why on earth is star ratings relevant to wrestlers? You're essentially breaking character to bring them up.
From what I understand, nothing has changed regarding how people view star ratings since Meltzer started publishing widely in the 1980s. Two very popular names always looked to Meltzer's reviews of them (Flair/Jericho). And I wouldn't be surprised if many more did the same. Guys like Hogan had it out for Meltzer because he Meltzer's annual awards (which included fan votes) always made Hogan look bad. So for most wrestlers, Meltzer was the bridge between assessing their quality and their individual expectations.

Nowadays, his ratings get a bit demonised by fans because they aren't to everyone's expectations (this is off by 1/4?! heresy!). But that doesn't mean it's changed for the wrestlers. Quoting them is like quoting the equivalent of a x/10 system in sports used to rate a player's performance in a match. How serious you take it depends on how you view the publisher. Considering that Meltzer has fought the good fight for New Japan, Omega is more than likely guaranteed to look out for what Meltzer thinks.

Edit: Also I should add that wrestling has become less a pseudo-sport and more an entertainment/night at the opera. You are looking for quality more and more and having a metric to decide quality is important when it's becoming the craze that's helping keep wrestling alive.

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,034 Posts
As someone who enjoys watching anime, I like his anime villain character work. It's only really his stuff on social media and the odd Meltzer reference he has made on TV that has me thinking okay. It was fine like a one off, but you still have to question it. I remember Kenny bringing up Meltzer's ratings in one the build up shows for his match against Sanada, he said something along the lines of being pissed if Sanada affected his average Meltzer star rating. Like, shouldn't he be wanting to beat Sanada quickly? Why bring them up and give publicity to Dave...
My advice is to ignore tweets and watch NJPW shows in japanese cause I'm sure Chono doesn't salivate on the fact that Kenny has them starz lol.

Kenny Omega has said in interviews that he doesn't wrestle for Dave Meltzer, he wrestles for the fans. So he doesn't care about star ratings.

But he definitely loves to bring em up whenever he is arguing with people on Twitter. Its definitely a selling point for him so Im sure hes gonna make the most of it.
Doesn't care about star LOL. Kenny wrestles for the stars. He is not some naive nobleman that doing it for the people. Putting on classics and creating that buzz by the help of star system is his bread and butter.

Ugh. You are among the list of most uneducated fanboys this forum has saw.

·
5,600 Posts
My advice is to ignore tweets and watch NJPW shows in japanese cause I'm sure Chono doesn't salivate on the fact that Kenny has them starz lol.
I think that's what helps Don Callis. He bigs up Omega like he's Heenan with Perfect/Flair. Sure, others would consider impersonation bad (for which they'd be foolish). Callis is an AWA fan and rates Heenan as one of the greatest ever. Anything that Callis can use to promote Omega is something he's going to use. He's a superb commentator imo, even better when he actually doesn't call Omega's matches. Massive strides since February.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Agreed sadly, at least about Kenny. I think part of it is shtick and trying to keep his name out there but part of it is simply that Kenny is a mark for himself. I'm not a fan of giant egos but I actually find the way Sasha bragged about being the best female wrestler of all time to be less obnoxious than the way Kenny uses one man's opinion to validate his greatness.

His entire back and forth with Jericho has been a mess. You have one of the most over stars in the biggest wrestling company talking about being in the big leagues while Kenny responds by bringing up his fucking star ratings. It's like hearing the class nerd brag about getting straight A's to the popular kids. "At least momma Melzter thinks I'm cool!" I hope this is leading to a match because if not it's accomplished nothing other than making Kenny look bad. Even if Jericho is just trolling it gives ammo to the type of fans who just dismiss everything and everyone outside of WWE.

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I think that's what helps Don Callis. He bigs up Omega like he's Heenan with Perfect/Flair. Sure, others would consider impersonation bad (for which they'd be foolish). Callis is an AWA fan and rates Heenan as one of the greatest ever. Anything that Callis can use to promote Omega is something he's going to use. He's a superb commentator imo, even better when he actually doesn't call Omega's matches. Massive strides since February.
It all becomes a bit too much when guys are sucking off wrestlers. Commentators bringing up 6* matches fpalm

Get it fucking together and tell the damn story being told in the ring.

·
Superintendent of the Sacred Coffeechamber
2,668 Posts
Yes, they sound like marks but no, they probably shouldn't tone it down, at least not judging from the tweets you posted. Social media is an important source of buzz and they need as much buzz as possible to keep themselves relevant. As long as the trollings and the hyperboles don't cross the line to where it becomes offensive, or in other words, as long as they know what they're doing, they should keep doing it because it keeps their fans loyal and their haters vocal. Making a living in wrestling is as difficult as it is. Working the marks by acting like marks serves to generate buzz and thus make things easier for all parties involved.

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Agreed sadly, at least about Kenny. I think part of it is shtick and trying to keep his name out there but part of it is simply that Kenny is a mark for himself. I'm not a fan of giant egos but I actually find the way Sasha bragged about being the best female wrestler of all time to be less obnoxious than the way Kenny uses one man's opinion to validate his greatness.

His entire back and forth with Jericho has been a mess. You have one of the most over stars in the biggest wrestling company talking about being in the big leagues while Kenny responds by bringing up his fucking star ratings. It's like hearing the class nerd brag about getting straight A's to the popular kids. "At least momma Melzter thinks I'm cool!" I hope this is leading to a match because if not it's accomplished nothing other than making Kenny look bad. Even if Jericho is just trolling it gives ammo to the type of fans who just dismiss everything and everyone outside of WWE.
You don't fuck with Jericho man, the dude is one of the GOATs for a reason.

Poor Kenny got killed by that 4.75* jackass line, there's no coming back from it. He no sold the star rating system and called him a jackass :sodone

It sucks when he does it one of your favorites, but you can't help but appreciate a quality response like that :lol

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
embarrassing from meltzer and omega there i must say, especially meltzer
seem to bring up the wwe a lot for people who supposedly don't need them

still want Kenny to debut in wwe as i said, meltzer can fuck off though all omegas done here is feed his ego

·
Baby Yoda
29,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
embarrassing from meltzer and omega there i must say, especially meltzer
seem to bring up the wwe a lot for people who supposedly don't need them

still want Kenny to debut in wwe as i said, meltzer can fuck off though all omegas done here is feed his ego
This is from the last month or so, there's a lot more if you look further back. Just got fed up with Dave's tweets flooding my TL and Kenny bringing up star ratings to fans. Noticed Young Bucks acting like insecure marks after the cease and desist stuff. Hopefully they tone it down rather than making the wrestling community on twitter even more toxic.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts