Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 23, 2015

Over the past nine months, the most shipped WWE DVDs are WrestleMania 30 at 159,000; Slam City at 104,000, Ultimate Warrior: The Ultimate Collection at 94,000, The Best of Sting at 74,000 and WCW’s Greatest PPV matches at 53,000. Really notable how the Goldberg DVD so greatly outsold both the Warrior and Sting DVDs. I think Goldberg never got his due as far as how big a star he really was. He moved ratings at a level few did, and if you look at the house shows when he was on top and the key mover, it was the biggest, by far, WCW ever was. A lot of people point to the botched Hogan-Sting match as the beginning of the end of WCW, but WCW was stronger in 1998 with Goldberg on top than it was in 1997. The only difference is that WWF was so much stronger in 1998 that even though WCW was also stronger, it was losing and pushing the panic button. But WCW’s business peak was December 1998 when they drew more than 29,000 fans to Nitro tapings three times in about five weeks with the promotion of he events built around Goldberg as champion. It was the Goldberg loss and one finger touch that were the beginning of the end. The effect wasn’t immediate, although by the second quarter of 1999, WCW was in full business collapse mode and never recovered.

Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter
What do you think? I've heard arguments made that NWO was really the real draw of WCW, but Meltzer seems to refute that.

It also is impressive that Goldberg's DVD sold so well. It got much less promotion than the Warrior & Sting DVDs.

They were released later, so maybe they'll catch up, but Meltzer used the words "greatly outsold."

·
Registered
898 Posts
What do you think? I've heard arguments made that NWO was really the real draw of WCW, but Meltzer seems to refute that.

It also is impressive that Goldberg's DVD sold so well. It got much less promotion than the Warrior & Sting DVDs.

They were released later, so maybe they'll catch up, but Meltzer used the words "greatly outsold."
The NWO was the real draw of the WCW. They "built" WCW (into the mainstream success that it was), where as Goldberg added upon that success. Without the NWO, Goldberg never would have had the platform to succeed like he did, because the NWO brought in so many eyes.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The NWO was the real draw of the WCW. They "built" WCW (into the mainstream success that it was), where as Goldberg added upon that success. Without the NWO, Goldberg never would have had the platform to succeed like he did, because the NWO brought in so many eyes.
Right, they started it, but it seems that Goldberg ascended to even higher heights. Maybe I didn't phrase it properly, but basically, I've seen people here insinuate that Goldberg was never the main draw, and was riding the coattails of NWO.

Here are some DVD sales as of 6/4/14 (the WWE goes by shipping, which indicates that they supply based on demand):
According to WWE Key Performance Indicators, the following WWE DVD releases have shipped the most units at this time…

* Goldberg: The Ultimate Collection – 113,000 units shipped
* The History of WWE – 89,000 units shipped
* Ultimate Warrior: The Ultimate Collection – 68,000 units shipped
* Triple H: Thy Kingdom Come – 67,000 units shipped
* Legends of Mid-South Wrestling – 64,000 units shipped
What's interesting is that Goldberg nearly doubles Triple H's tally, though Triple H's DVD was released two weeks before Goldberg's, and got way more promo. Plus, H's DVD had a documentary.

I see why Goldberg feels very strongly that he won't go to WWE unless he's paid a certain amount. He knows the money he's brought to the company.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
By 1998, the nWo was stale as fuck. Goldberg was a mega draw, and was that even with really no proper feuds or opponents as champion. The most notable ones were DDP and Nash.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
Goldberg was a supernova. He burned very brightly, then he fizzled into nothingness. WCW should have handled his first loss better.
He shouldn't have lost. Period.
Not until well into 1999 at least, and then certainly not to mummified career politicians like Nash or Hogan.
He could have feuded with Hart. He could have feuded with Sting. With DDP. With Sid. Hell, even with Flair still.

With a careful character progression, he could have stayed champion maybe even beyond 1999. Goldberg was another potential Hulk Hogan.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Goldberg headlined an already hot WCW. Crowds were already filling out and ratings already at the peak, Goldberg meant little in the grand scheme of things. He wasn't a difference maker like Austin or nWo. Bischoff himself has noted this many times.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Speaking from personal perspective "Goldberg was the biggest WCW draw for me." In India, Nitro was telecasted very late in the night, and I would stay awake till 1:30 a.m. ONLY to watch Goldberg finish off his opponent in 20 seconds. That tells you how special he was.

But in the long term(overall) you have to say that nWo was the biggest draw of WCW, while Sting is simply the greatest WCW legend.

Goldberg at his peak reached unbelievable height but his peak was also very short-lived. Hence nWo win this for me(on longevity/'staying power).

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,478 Posts
Goldberg is one of the oddest things in the history of pro wrestling to me. There was nothing he could do well. He was garbage in the ring, beyond awful on the mic, as generic looking a meathead as you can get. He was literally just a mega push, a mega push that any juiced up behemoth could have fulfilled just as well if not better.

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
goldberg had an intensity about him similar to brock lesnar today. granted lesnar is way better in the ring, they bring that big fight atmosphere that very few are able to do. goldbergs first loss was really stupid i dont think nash shouldve been the guy to do it and it led to the beginning of the end.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
Goldberg was a big draw, but he was coming into an already hot promotion and was the first true original star that WCW had during that time. Plus, the NWO/Wolfpac thing was still pretty hot no matter how 'stale' Meltzer or anyone else thinks the storyline was by that point, so you have to still give them some credit, too. I think it's fair to say NWO had a bigger impact on the wrestling industry as a whole than Goldberg did, especially since they were the ones who started the initial wrestling boom of the 90's.

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
HBK ⚜️ SAINTS ⚜️ CSRO
2,736 Posts
I remember Goldberg being really popular starting in 1998... and then in 2003 WWE was all about Goldberg when he showed up around April of that year. He was still on a tear in WWE a couple months after Summer Slam that year. During that Summer Slam Elimination Chamber match even Triple H was showing complete intimidation to Goldberg... and this is when Triple H was starting on those title reigns of terror in the WWE. Goldberg was the one guy who Triple H looked afraid of during all that stretch he went on.

It doesn't really make sense to say Goldberg didn't get his "due"...

·
Banned
3,087 Posts
A true once in a lifetime star, couldn't do anything well, but just had unreal charisma and brought real intensity. A true attraction and at his peak, as big as anyone has been.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
goldberg+ the streak were huge draws. after he lost the streak he meant only a fraction

but make no mistake goldberg and the streak were insanely over. if he appeared on tv during that period he would spike ratings like nobody else could often 1 full ratings point and more for his segment (even rock and austin at their peak were not adding a full rating point). his appearances at live events would results in thousands of extra ticket sold.

wcw had something special with goldberg+streak but they decided to end it and 2 years they went from averaging 10,000 paying fans at goldbergs peaks in december 98 to 1,800 by october 2000

·
Registered
525 Posts
Speaking from personal perspective "Goldberg was the biggest WCW draw for me." In India, Nitro was telecasted very late in the night, and I would stay awake till 1:30 a.m. ONLY to watch Goldberg finish off his opponent in 20 seconds. That tells you how special he was.

But in the long term(overall) you have to say that nWo was the biggest draw of WCW, while Sting is simply the greatest WCW legend.

Goldberg at his peak reached unbelievable height but his peak was also very short-lived. Hence nWo win this for me(on longevity/'staying power).

All boys in my 3rd grade (third school class being 8-9 yo) and friends younger and older watched the WCW because of him. 10 pm, phone sex ads, nobody cared as long as they saw Goldberg.

·
Banned
9,176 Posts
Goldberg is one of the oddest things in the history of pro wrestling to me. There was nothing he could do well. He was garbage in the ring, beyond awful on the mic, as generic looking a meathead as you can get. He was literally just a mega push, a mega push that any juiced up behemoth could have fulfilled just as well if not better.
You must be delusional!
If anyone ever had the It-Factor in WCW after Hogan, it was Goldberg. His look was perfect, he had a GREAT face, awesome expressions, and his tattoo was famous. He was the only guy besides Austin who didn't need a fancy gimmick, but could wear only black shorts and shoes, and carry his persona on his own.

He was a monster in the ring, and could move like a cat. It was just intense just watching him.
He got a mega push alright, but got over on his fucking own! He didn't even have a gimmick, he only won his matches. He didn't need promos, he didn't need a manager, he got insanely over because people saw: man, this guy is freaking awesome!
How can anyone not delusional look at the current Roman Reigns fiasco and basically say anyone can get Goldberg status with the same push?

·
Fearless University Graduate
17,478 Posts
You must be delusional!
If anyone ever had the It-Factor in WCW after Hogan, it was Goldberg. His look was perfect, he had a GREAT face, awesome expressions, and his tattoo was famous. He was the only guy besides Austin who didn't need a fancy gimmick, but could wear only black shorts and shoes, and carry his persona on his own.

He was a monster in the ring, and could move like a cat. It was just intense just watching him.
He got a mega push alright, but got over on his fucking own! He didn't even have a gimmick, he only won his matches. He didn't need promos, he didn't need a manager, he got insanely over because people saw: man, this guy is freaking awesome!
How can anyone not delusional look at the current Roman Reigns fiasco and basically say anyone can get Goldberg status with the same push?
I'm talking about back then. Clearly that sort of push doesn't work thesedays. Nothing you said disputes the fact that Goldberg sucked at everything either. His tatt? You mean that god awful generic tribal shit? The guys a cliche.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.