Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hated the match, but I watched it again, and I still hate the match, but was also a completely fantastic match.

What’s the object of a match? To get over with the crowd...the match had phenomenal storytelling..and the crowd is going freaking nuts..

If this match had taken place 20 years ago, people would’ve been calling it one of the greatest matches of all time.

I watched it at 1:30 in the morning which didn’t help, but when I watched it (again), you could see this was a super well thought out match, and that’s my favorite kind of match.
From WOR.

Note that he did not change his PERSONAL opinion about the match, he still hated it, but he concedes it was a fantastic match for it's intended purposes.

Glad he could be objective.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
I don't get how someone can call a match fantastic but then say they hated it? In any other medium this would be complete double talk.

"Yeah I saw that movie the other night it was fantastic but I absolutely hated it."

Just makes him seems unwilling to give a clear opinion.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,115 Posts
I don't get how someone can call a match fantastic but then say they hated it? In any other medium this would be complete double talk.

"Yeah I saw that movie the other night it was fantastic but I absolutely hated it."

I think he calls it fantastic because as a match it accomplished in spades what every match tries to, get over with the crowd and be entertaining for them.

He may not like the match at all, but Dave doesn't dismiss that clearly his opinion on differs from many. They brought up how polarizing the match has been received.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Fair enough, though I've disregarded his personal taste ever since he gave Hogan/Rock 3 stars or whatever it was.

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

He hated it on the basis of safety, and him thinking shit like the Phoenix splash on the wood was just retarded. He hates seeing stuff like that, that's why he hated Naito/Ibushi from Dominion this year.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
That makes literally no sense to me. You either like something or you don't. None of this "it was fantastic but I hated it" bullshit lol.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
So he didn't like it, but since it had Omega in it who he loves he still had to say it was fantastic? Ok got it. I'm an Omega fan and I can say the match was terrible.

·
Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,626 Posts
He hated it on the basis of safety, and him thinking shit like the Phoenix splash on the wood was just retarded. He hates seeing stuff like that, that's why he hated Naito/Ibushi from Dominion this year.
So then it's not fantastic, I'm just saying you cant have it both ways.

You cant say a match is fantastic and then talk about how much you hated it. It just doesnt make sense.

·
Registered
22,869 Posts
It's a match that will always divide opinions. Hell, I myself don't really care for the death match style. But I also can't deny stars like Omega and Mox putting their bodies through stuff like that.

If I had one knock on the match, it's probably that they relied a little too much on the weapons. A match that I've seen this compared a lot to since Full Gear is HHH vs. Cactus Jack from the Rumble in 2000.

HHH vs. Cactus was a match between 2 guys who hated each other and used the weapons basically as props to get over how far they would go to win and how much they hated each other. Mox vs. Omega kind of goes overboard with all the weapons at some points. Using things like the board covered in mouse traps for example. It felt at times they were focusing a little too much on how "crazy" and "creative" the match is as opposed to how "heated" the match should be. As much as I loved the zaniness of it, I was taken out of the match a few times because of this.

It's one nitpick of a match I honestly do enjoy, but things I couldn't help but notice.

·
Best Post Machine
565 Posts
He hates seeing the crazy dangerous shit, basically.

Hell, I hated seeing that phoenix splash. Kenny's damn insane.

It's weird how you initially get interested in performers sometimes because of the crazy shit they do, but then you eventually like them so much you hate to see it, but you can't help but watch.

That'll be the only time we ever see that. They do it to establish their bonafides. That's what this match was all about.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It does feel like the majority of fans disagreed and he's backtracking. Which is always funny to me.

But in the grand scheme of putting butts in seats, I can kinda understand what he's saying. I hate the majority of yellow and red Hogan matches, but damn if they weren't great for business and I can understand that aspect of it. That's not really how I look at stuff, I either like a match or I don't.

But whatever, it was a killer match regardless of what he says.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts

Think of it like metal music. A lot of people dont like that genre of music but they can respect an admire the skill and technique to play their instruments

1 - 20 of 60 Posts