Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
The massive difference between AEW and NJPW is that NJPW doesn't rely on a weekly television show like AEW is going to be.

It's not really a comparable situation what so ever.
that's why aew does something wonderful!! long term booking with multiple emergency plans in case something in the long term booking changes. the Jericho vs cody rivalry for the title was teased in an episode of road to double or nothing that took place before DON.
the model aew is using now, is exactly! the model wwf has used for a very long time. long term booking + bullet points to the wrestlers who fills the blanks to reach the check point of the story with their own creativity and promos. with a big boss overseeing it ( vince ). they have a writing committee just like the old wwf.
wrestling is very very simple people

ps : I would have blamed Meltzer for not being able to explain something ( that cody already explained very well before) and once again fucking up. but for listening , I can only feel sad for the guy, that line he threw was in a certain context and it was a fast answer to Bryan Alvarez about shows not being overly scripted, he wasn't breaking down there booking process.
it's like the man can't even say anything without it becoming some breaking news....

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
Wait the same people on here complain and moan about WWE writers, and wished the guys and ex wrestlers had a say in how feuds go and cut their own promo's. Now a company are doing it, and the same people are shitting all over it. This is the modern wrestling fan lol.
It's only wrong when AEW does something outside the box.

·
Best Post Machine
566 Posts
Wont work in the long run, if you're shooting down one wrestlers idea but going with anothers idea you're just creating resentment from the guy whose idea wasnt good enough.

What happens when two people propose an idea for a Title feud and you have to say no to one of them?
Yeah, it's called life. Everyone sits down and hashes it out.

Nobody knows their own craft as well as a great wrestler. They should have a place at the table. And the ones coming up need an opportunity to try to shine, or they'll never learn it.

This is how wrestling historically worked. And it's why I haven't watched WWE in 15 years. Taking the personal away from the wrestlers by controlling them so tightly kills the energy of the show. Nobody is 'real' anymore.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Wrestlers known to cut their own promos have been known to bury wrestlers like The Rock, SCSA, and John Cena...

But I guess you can just have someone review their promo beforehand.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
They will have a narrative plan, regardless if it's put together by a group of wrestlers. They can't go into a show on TNT without a plan to sell the network. The show has to have clear stars, and in order to maintain that, you have to plan/be aware of who the stars are each week. They need to find a balance. The WWE is off balance. The WWE has no plan from week to week, but they write a massive, overscripted script every episode.

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
Why do people still kiss meltzer ass? I mades articles out of things people know that wrestlers already stated or he creates shit thats false and is based off basic assumption

·
Registered
9,259 Posts
A plan has nothing to do with writing a script for everyone to talk. You think a writer can speak for Jericho? Thata not how the business works.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the idea of wrestlers have a good amount of freedom to create storys, but there has to be some level of direction. Without a guiding hand stuff could easily become a clusterfuck. Hopefully, this is not going to be the case.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Tony Khan shouldn't have final say. He knows almost nothing about the wrestling business or storytelling.

This idea is gonna fail quickly and they will end up hiring a creative team. The issue with WWEis that they fill the CT with writers who know nothing about wrestling.

AEW has a chance to build one filled with insiders who know about storytelling and other such things....Gabe Sabolsky, for example, would be a great pick for head booker.

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
Dave Marquez should be offer a job since he found the Young Bucks and gave them their first break. He has been running his own promotion for years and manage to get local tv deals in many states. He is smart.

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
Tony Khan shouldn't have final say. He knows almost nothing about the wrestling business or storytelling.

This idea is gonna fail quickly and they will end up hiring a creative team. The issue with WWEis that they fill the CT with writers who know nothing about wrestling.

AEW has a chance to build one filled with insiders who know about storytelling and other such things....Gabe Sabolsky, for example, would be a great pick for head booker.
He knows more than this forum combined if we go by what Meltzer, Austin and Jericho have said about him.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
3,228 Posts
I have a hard time believing that Tony Kahn knows so little about business as to think that letting the inmates run the asylum is a good strategy.
Khan has so many projects running, I highly doubts he can think "deeply" into storylines. Seriously! I guess it will be more like asking about if a storyline may go over a border or some very extreme character may be introduced.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Khan has so many projects running, I highly doubts he can think "deeply" into storylines. Seriously! I guess it will be more like asking about if a storyline may go over a border or some very extreme character may be introduced.
He doesn't have to. He could hire capable people to do so which it seems like he doesn't want to do if this is true, but who knows. I just hope the end result isn't a terrible product.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
I’m not saying it has to be Kahn who’s doing the booking, I’m saying he should know enough to have someone capable in charge of it, because a roster full of talent and egos booking themselves can only end in disaster. I would be very surprised if that is not the case.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Business has changed. Theres no hulk hogans or the Kevin Nashs doing business for themselves.

Wrestling is a collaborative team effort to create the best feuds and payoffs possible to extend a wrestlers career. This is how its always been and exactly why the attitude era was successful.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,920 Posts
Business has changed. Theres no hulk hogans or the Kevin Nashs doing business for themselves.

Wrestling is a collaborative team effort to create the best feuds and payoffs possible to extend a wrestlers career. This is how its always been and exactly why the attitude era was successful.
Sorry, but no, that’s not how it is nor always has been. In the territory days, it was the promoter deciding who’s getting pushed and who’s feuding with whom. Maybe the talent pitched ideas, but setting the overall direction was anything but a collaborative effort. Somebody was in charge. The AE was no different. The difference between then and now was the wrestlers were allowed more freedom to define their characters, which the modern WWE has almost completely gotten away from, instead mostly dictating every aspect of a wrestler’s performance. But most other promotions don’t operate that way — outside WWE, wrestlers are still allowed to define their characters. But neither do the wrestlers have total freedom in defining all their story lines and angles — that’s still the job of bookers in the larger organizations, and promoters in the smaller ones.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts