Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
JANUARY 5TH
4,184 Posts
Only difference between we the people in the thread and Tony Khan is we can 't afford to have our own company. He isnt even with Gedo not in a milion years. Or any booker that spent their life with this.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
You are trying to explain that to people that don't watch/care about NJPW and only know Vince/WCW way of booking.
this, what they are doing is what njpw has always been doing. you don't have 100 goons in njpw writing some dumb stories.
you give the boys the long term booking and some key points they have to reach and let they creativity do the rest.

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
Only difference between we the people in the thread and Tony Khan is we can 't afford to have our own company. He isnt even with Gedo not in a milion years. Or any booker that spent their life with this.
Gedo is hella overrated as booker. The NJPW tag divisions stink. Anyway, back on topic.

The guy is 36...he would have been a toddler if he was following NWA during its heyday lol
What is tape trading?.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
While you don't need the big team of writers from out of wrestling like WWE does hopefully they have something in place for a booking committee, I'm sure they do but whenever I hear about wrestlers having control I get bad flashbacks to WCW. I realize it's something that works for the most part in NJPW and the AEW guys don't give the vibe of being too much into themselves like guys like Nash or Hogan I still hope there's a solid booking committee there.

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
While you don't need the big team of writers from out of wrestling like WWE does hopefully they have something in place for a booking committee, I'm sure they do but whenever I hear about wrestlers having control I get bad flashbacks to WCW. I realize it's something that works for the most part in NJPW and the AEW guys don't give the vibe of being too much into themselves like guys like Nash or Hogan I still hope there's a solid booking committee there.
They do. Cody books the singles division. YB book the Tags and Kenny and Brandi book the womens division.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
They do. Cody books the singles division. YB book the Tags and Kenny and Brandi book the womens division.
Thanks for the further insight, I also meant someone outside of the active roster helping out as well, I feel like they'll probably be in good hands with the veterans they have around though.

·
Registered
23,437 Posts
Gedo comes up with the stories and gives bullet points. Same thing AEW is going to do. EVPS book/give bullet points and the wrestlers work their magic.
Okay that makes more sense. The way it reads, it came off like everybody would be making their own stories.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,277 Posts
You are trying to explain that to people that don't watch/care about NJPW and only know Vince/WCW way of booking.
The massive difference between AEW and NJPW is that NJPW doesn't rely on a weekly television show like AEW is going to be.

It's not really a comparable situation what so ever.

·
Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
4,923 Posts
Okay that makes more sense. The way it reads, it came off like everybody would be making their own stories.
Yeah, it did read that way. But I attribute that to the fact that Meltzer can’t write worth a shit. Combine that with his penchant for inserting his opinions and suppositions into his facts, and, well, you get this.

From what I’ve seen and heard, I’ve always assumed that some one (or ones) will come up with the general direction — who’s feuding with whom and why, and who’s eventually going over — and leaving how to tell the story to the wrestlers. That’s where the rubber meets the road and the real stars will stand apart from the rest. Weekly tv ought to be a whole lotta fun.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts
I find it difficult to believe that a guy who owns an NFL team doesn't understand the value of direction and leadership.

My Meltzer bullshit detector is going off.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
He noted this on the radio show this morning, the show is literally going to be the Wrestlers coming up with storylines and promos, and Tony Khan having the final say of approval on everything.

Could be an absolute train wreck, but it's exciting nonetheless, it's definitely going to be a different style of show than we've seen before.
I hope you realize that before WWE got all heavily scripted this was how wrestling was done for decades, wrestlers coming up with their own shit.

·
HOES MAD
22,982 Posts
Sounds like WCW.

Get Russo in. Let's have AEW be the fun car crash tv show, as opposed to the wrestling show NXT will put on. I know I'd rather see segments, promos and angles than just vanilla matches. Car crash shit tv draws.
Knock it off. This isn't 1999. The audience has changed and so have television viewership. What you call "crash tv" happens everywhere now. It isn't unique, especially in pro wrestling. And LOL @ asking Russo to come in. That would surely be the death knell for AEW as a viable alternative to WWE.

That said, while I don't think you need writers for wrestlers to cut promos, having bulletin points or a central point to your promos for your agents to get across the wrestler for his/her promo is still essential. Some of these guys and girls can't cut a promo and are going to look like a deer in headlights on TNT. You have the likes of Arn, Tully, Dustin, Jericho in your company. Use their expertise in how to cut an effective promo without it coming off as contrived or forced.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
"the show is literally going to be the Wrestlers coming up with storylines and promos"

This is how it should be! Pretty much all the wrestlers prior to joining AEW (with the exception of the WWE ones) have been responsible fro their own creativity, direction & product. All they will be doing differently is collaborating more frequently with other people.

Its sad that people think wrestlers should be just cattle getting told what to do by an all seeing centralized and controlling demagogue.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,747 Posts
Wont work in the long run, if you're shooting down one wrestlers idea but going with anothers idea you're just creating resentment from the guy whose idea wasnt good enough.

What happens when two people propose an idea for a Title feud and you have to say no to one of them?

Ideally, in a perfect scenario you need someone completely unbiased overseeing it all who can best judge direction and ideas to go down.

Just steer clear of the WWE way where they only care about 5% of their roster.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts