Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WON said:
- WWE is again looking to Mexico to sign new talent. This is due to a few factors, including Sin Cara's rocky start, Rey Mysterio's injuries and recent wellness infraction as well as the fact that Alberto Del Rio has stated that he does not plan to be wrestling in a few years. The company is currently scouting for a young, charismatic, English speaking, high-flying Mexican star.

- With John Cena turning 35-years-old, the talk has been that Vince McMahon is already looking for his next top babyface.

- Through out the years, Vince has always handpicked his top babyfaces. They include Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H and now John Cena.

- Vince is now 66-years-old, and still has a hand in virtually every aspect of the company. But it is expected that he will be delegating more responsibilities to Triple H and Stephanie as time goes on. Many have speculated that the next top baby face to carry the torch in WWE could be Vince's final handpicked face of WWE.
Should have been looking years ago.

·
Registered
270 Posts
66 years old is seriously no threat to Vince's control over WWE. I have no idea why so many people think he's just going to suddenly hand over his entire company to Triple H and Stephanie within the next couple years. Does anyone here have any idea who Al Davis was?

As for the next "top star" goes, fairly obvious CM Punk is being primed for that position. But even at 35, John Cena is by no means in any rush to be replaced either. When he's pushing 40, then okay, but a lot can happen in 5 years... even though not a lot has happened in WWE in the past 5. With the staggering amount of young talent being pushed as of late, it's fairly obvious WWE is trying to find "something". None of this is really news.

I found the part about ADR the most note-worthy.

·
Registered
721 Posts
He has already been picked.

Mike Bennett. He has the charisma, he is A+ in the ring and he has the million dollar look.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
It could be nearly anyone. Did people honestly think when Cena debuted that he'd be leading the company? Hell no.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66 years old is seriously no threat to Vince's control over WWE. I have no idea why so many people think he's just going to suddenly hand over his entire company to Triple H and Stephanie within the next couple years. Does anyone here have any idea who Al Davis was?

As for the next "top star" goes, fairly obvious CM Punk is being primed for that position. But even at 35, John Cena is by no means in any rush to be replaced either. When he's pushing 40, then okay, but a lot can happen in 5 years... even though not a lot has happened in WWE in the past 5. With the staggering amount of young talent being pushed as of late, it's fairly obvious WWE is trying to find "something". None of this is really news.

I found the part about ADR the most note-worthy.
The Al Davis comparison is dead on. I agree that too many people are making too big of a deal out of Vince being in his late 60's. Being the head of WWE is his whole identity, it's doubtful he will ever give up his power willingly.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Well outside of Cena being 35, Punk is 33, Orton is 32, Sheamus is 34, Wade Barrett is 31, and D Bryan is 31. Also the last few "call-ups" are in the same age bracket; Sandow is 29 (turing 30 in august) Castagnoli is 31 and even Ambrose is 27, so really Cena will be around just as long as most of them as well. So the WWE's next top face is probably not on the roster currently or even in FCW at this point possibly either.

But as for the report, if true, its about damn time. This search should have started a couple years ago already. And in reality the "search" for the next top guy should be a constant process.

·
Rated R Superstar
14,586 Posts
The only part of this that caught my attention is the part where they said Alberto Del Rio won't be around in a few years! YES! YES! YES! YES! Get him off my TV!

·
Asuka
96,544 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure he's looking for the next Cena. That's why they deliberately sabotaged the Summer Of Punk when he was hotter than anybody had been in years and would've easily gotten to that level if they hadn't haphazardly booked that angle into the ground. :rolleyes:

We're at the point where I honestly don't think they have a plan anymore, they just do shit to do it.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure he's looking for the next Cena. That's why they deliberately sabotaged the Summer Of Punk when he was hotter than anybody had been in years. :rolleyes:

We're at the point where I honestly don't think they have a plan anymore, they just do shit to do it.
Did the report say they were looking for Next john Cena IN CM PUNK? I dont think so. Punk is only a year younger than Cena. Its idiotic to think punk would be pushed as the face at this age. It has to be someone younger like around 25 or 26 yrs old.

The whole summer of punk was a fiasco, it wasnt "deliberate" more incompetence, lack of long-term planning. A former writer confirmed meltzer's report on one of the Monday Night raws which had 6 different scripts. That shows you how Vince keeps changing his mind. Writers cant execute storylines properly with an out of touch old man running the show.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, I'm sure he's looking for the next Cena. That's why they deliberately sabotaged the Summer Of Punk when he was hotter than anybody had been in years and would've easily gotten to that level if they hadn't haphazardly booked that angle into the ground. :rolleyes:
You should blame Triple H and Kevin Nash for ruining that. I don't like jumping on the Triple H hate bandwagon either, but it really is amazing how so many wrestlers lose their spots as soon as he's involved in their story lines. And Nash has been notorious for that sort of thing for over a decade. I'm sure even Goldberg would agree.

People who bitch and moan about wanting Vince gone and waiting for Triple H to take over one day really have no idea how good we have it now. I shudder... I fucking seriously SHUDDER to think of how the company will be when Triple H is in the chair and all his clique buddies are eventually brought in to run things backstage. It's going to be a fucking nightmare.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Well outside of Cena being 35, Punk is 33, Orton is 32, Sheamus is 34, Wade Barrett is 31, and D Bryan is 31. Also the last few "call-ups" are in the same age bracket; Sandow is 29 (turing 30 in august) Castagnoli is 31 and even Ambrose is 27, so really Cena will be around just as long as most of them as well. So the WWE's next top face is probably not on the roster currently or even in FCW at this point possibly either.

But as for the report, if true, its about damn time. This search should have started a couple years ago already. And in reality the "search" for the next top guy should be a constant process.
I don't think the ages of any of those guys work against them. 40 is the new 30 in wrestling. Hell, Austin was in his mid-30's when he got pushed.

I think Punk could've been that guy, but a lot of his momentum has been squandered. The same can be said of Miz. There's really no one on the roster right now that screams "top babyface" to the degree of Cena.

·
Asuka
96,544 Posts
Cena's 35, Punk is 33, that's fine. Age doesn't matter unless you're really old. Batista was like 36 when they started pushing him to the top.

Good luck finding a 25 year old who's going to be the face of the company, they're gonna be waiting YEARS for him to step up. Nobody is ever successful at that age because the experience you need to acquire is something nobody gets by then. I think Rock was a huge draw and like a 3 or 4 time champion by the time he was 30 but he's a VERY extreme case. They don't have years, people are tired of Cena NOW.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember in 2010 WWE had a youth movement, where they didn't want anyone over the age of 32. Then the next year The Rock came back, and Kevin Nash was put in a top storyline against CM Punk.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts
You should blame Triple H and Kevin Nash for ruining that. I don't like jumping on the Triple H hate bandwagon either, but it really is amazing how so many wrestlers lose their spots as soon as he's involved in their story lines. And Nash has been notorious for that sort of thing for over a decade. I'm sure even Goldberg would agree.

People who bitch and moan about wanting Vince gone and waiting for Triple H to take over one day really have no idea how good we have it now. I shudder... I fucking seriously SHUDDER to think of how the company will be when Triple H is in the chair and all his clique buddies are eventually brought in to run things backstage. It's going to be a fucking nightmare.

Who hired Ambrose, claudio, Chris hero, sin cara, kharma and other indy darlings to the FCW developmental?

The same guy is going to be the running WWE. Fucking Nightmare right? I know.

HHH didnt ruin punk's push, far from it. He put him over and then moved on with awesome truth and Nash. The problem was the HHH-Punk fued never saw HHH turn heel or lead to Wrestlemania which is all on vince mcmahon for not doing it. At the end of the day vince calls the shots, you're blaming the wrong guy for the botched mess.

Cena's 35, Punk is 33, that's fine. Age doesn't matter unless you're really old. Batista was like 36 when they started pushing him to the top.
Batista had a massive heel in HHH. He had the look Vince loved and he delivered too, he was biggest draw behind cena for 4 straight years.

Punk is no batista. Simple as that.

Good luck finding a 25 year old who's going to be the face of the company, they're gonna be waiting YEARS for him to step up. Nobody is ever successful at that age because the experience you need to acquire is something nobody gets by then. I think Rock was a huge draw and like a 3 or 4 time champion by the time he was 30 but he's a VERY extreme case. They don't have years, people are tired of Cena NOW.
How old was Orton when he won his first world championship?

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
About damn time. Cena should have stepped down in 2009 because he's stale and even as 'top face' is taking a backseat on the shows when not feuding with returning stars.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts